Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys! So, I'm going to have my consultation with my surgeon in a few weeks. However from what I have been told, the health insurance is going to want me to enrole in a six-month diet. Is that a normal thing? Also, do you know if something like that is usually supervised with the nutritionist or a dietitian?

My insurance company did not require a 6-month supervised diet, but many health insurance companies do have this requirement.

It usually consists of six visits with a physician, nurse practitioner or PA spaced six months apart. Each visit requires a weigh-in and a quick documented 'educational session' on weight control.

My insurance company required one consultation with a dietitian pre-op. My consultation was done telephonically (over the phone).

My insurance company did not require a 6-month supervised diet, but many health insurance companies do have this requirement.
It usually consists of six visits with a physician, nurse practitioner or PA spaced six months apart. Each visit requires a weigh-in and a quick documented 'educational session' on weight control.
My insurance company required one consultation with a dietitian pre-op. My consultation was done telephonically (over the phone).

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback!

My insurance company required the same 6-month check-ins, with weigh-ins. I also had to see a nutritionist at least once, have an endoscopy and see a psychiatrist at least once. The only diet I had was the 2-week pre-op diet. The good news is - if you have a 6 months of continued visits with your doctor (including ER visits, etc), as long as they have your weight, you can use that. One of my monthly visits was an ER visit when I hurt my knee. The insurance company accepted it, otherwise, I would have to had to start over! Good luck!

I have Tricare and they also required the same. It was 6 doctors visits my consultation with my surgeon counted as one of the visits. He put me on a 1200 calorie diet and I would see him monthly to track progress, weigh ins and do labs when ordered. I also saw the dietitian monthly and before I could be approved I had to see a psychiatrist also.

Yes, I do believe it is very common. Some people look at it like a BS hurdle to overcome (AKA me), some people look at it like an opportunity to lose weight in advance of surgery, see @blizair09. Now, I don't regret not using that time to actually, ya know, lose weight, but I would highly recommend using that time to get off as much weight as you can BEFORE surgery. If I could go back in time I would probably kick myself in the ballz for not doing that. Best of luck!!

Do you all know if they normally provide any kind of dietitian? When I called the doctors office they stated that they don't have any strict kind of diet plan, I didn't know if that was something I have to go through health insurance to get or whatever

4 minutes ago, RobertIsFun said:

Do you all know if they normally provide any kind of dietitian? When I called the doctors office they stated that they don't have any strict kind of diet plan, I didn't know if that was something I have to go through health insurance to get or whatever

I didn't visit with a dietitian until two weeks after my weight loss surgery was performed. My insurance required one pre-op consult with a dietitian, which was done over the phone.

The supervised weight loss program doesn't need to be supervised by a dietitian or nutritionist for insurance purposes. Health care providers (e.g., doctors, nurse practitioners, PAs) have enough nutritional and dietary knowledge to supervise these visits.

My health insurance is completely different. They require a visit to a nutritionist prior to surgery and then afterward, you must go to at least 2 visits. Also, my doctor's office nutritionist gave me a 30-page packet on what to eat before and after and sent it to my (insurance approved) nutritionist (I couldn't afford the practice's nutritionist, you have to pay her in cash), and she is working with me to follow the plan. I value my nutritionist, she really worked with me to follow the pre-op diet without pulling out my hair, but even before that, she helped me changed the way I looked at food and the way I eat, and I began to lose weight WITHOUT dieting before I started the pre-op diet. I think we could all benefit from something like that!

In the UK the NHS will fund bariatric surgery but the process is a long one between 18 months and 2 years BEFORE having surgery - and the NHS will only fund ONE operation!

The entire process is to ensure that all help short of surgery is given before surgery is offered as a last resort not a first option. it is a four tier service with Tier 4 being the surgery itself. You have to be referred for each stage. I was referred from Tier 2 to Tier 3 in November and Tier 3 involves Dietician, and 8 Week Group Therapy Session (once a week) and a seminar on the different types of surgery available - all of which are compulsory. The NHS wants to ensure that each person is mentally and physically able to make the changes necessary before surgery is carried out which includes the requirement that each person lose at least 5% of their weight at referral to Tier 3.

Perhaps that is the purpose of your insurer insisting on a 6 month diet pre-surgery to ensure that you're able to make the lifestyle changes necessary to make your surgery a success.

Good luck on your journey.

Dave

I would go BONKERS with that kind of a wait! Yay Medicaid! lol I think there should be a wait, but 2 years is long time. Wow.

If I could afford to pay for it I could have the op before the year is out but I can't so I have to play the cards as they're dealt. I'm still undecided whether I'll choose the operation when the time comes anyway so this process gives me time to research and weigh it all up.

Agreed. I could never have afforded the surgery without Medicaid Advantage. The only positive thing about being laid off. And everyone believes it will help me get a job, too. Win win. I wish you much luck. And the process also helps lose weight too, and that’s a plus!

Anyone else's not allowed fruit on the pre op diet? This is also driving me crazy! Plus the fact that I can't have all the Water that I want.... ugh!

1 hour ago, valkh said:

Anyone else's not allowed fruit on the pre op diet? This is also driving me crazy!

The goal of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver. A shrunken liver is less likely to obstruct your surgeon's view of your stomach, ensuring a safer surgery and reducing the chances of accidentally slicing your liver.

Fruits are loaded with fructose. Fructose is processed by the liver. If you eat fruits and other high-sugar foods, your liver will not shrink sufficiently.

Good luck to you.