Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single mid 30s Sleeve Buddy in the Houston area

Hi there :) I'm a 34 year old single woman with Wanderlust who is currently living in Houston TX. I have many family members who have gone through WLS but none of them live in Texas. I'd love to have a friend near my age going through the surgery around the same time (mine is scheduled for Aug) to compare stories about shopping for clothes, working out, dating, adjusting work schedules, etc. If that person happens to live near by or travels to Houston all the better, but online friends are of course also welcome! :)

Hi friend!

I have a similar story. 31, single, currently living in Dallas. Surgery is in a week.

Would love to swap stories and encouragement!

Hi Gabbee! I'd love that :) are you from Texas originally?

Oh in a week, that's soon! Which surgery are you having? I'm almost positive I'm having the sleeve but my Dr is also willing to do the bypass so still deciding. How are you feeling?

Did you have to do the liquid diet? I have to do liquid for two weeks, starting Aug 8th.

Sent from my LG-K371 using BariatricPal mobile app

I lived in TX before, but I move around a lot. originally from Brazil. I'm hoping to move to the San Francisco bay area once I feel fully recovered from the surgery. Looking forward to that roadtrip!

I start my liquid diet today! Soo not looking forward to it but I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that this means change is right around the corner.

I'm having the sleeve. Tbh, this whole thing happened very fast and I didn't have a lot of time to research. I knew I didn't qualify for insurance because I had a 37 BMI and overall healthy, but my friend encouraged me to go to a consult with her Dr. and I did. Well, less than a week later his staff called me to let me know if i went the hiatal hernia route it would only cost me $3,600 out of pocket. I scheduled the surgery on the spot because if I thought too hard I'd probably back out. So glad I did!

i alternate between being terrified and completely excited! How are you feeling about it?

Let me know when you decide which route to go on your procedure. Choose the one that is right for you!

Yeah I've moved around a lot myself, military brat :) born in Berlin. Dad's sidr of the family is in Cali, beautiful area. You'll love it!
How is the liquid diet going? I'm doing research on Protein flavors and trying to make a plan since I have a few weeks.
My BMI is in the low 40s so I qualify for insurance (though with a high deductible plan its still real pricey). At first I was really frustrated with how long this was taking since I first met with my surgeon in Feb after being in the ER over New Years cause I thought I was having a heart attack. Finally scared me enough to do something about the weight. But the more I talk to people I think the extra time was good. I've had a lot of self doubt about being able to change for the long run. But my support group says one day at a time so that's what I'm trying to focus on :)

Sent from my LG-K371 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm on day 2 now and so far I'm doing great! I know it won't be this doable (i almost said easy, but it's not exactly easy) much longer as it's just a matter of time before I get sick of the Protein Shakes. But people say the first 2 days can be tough, and I'm really glad I'm handling it ok. Just trying to stay busy and avoid being around people while they eat, lol.

This forum has helped a lot! Just occupying my mind by reading all the threads, and getting encouragement from folks that are going through the same thing. But I think not letting your mind go to a dark place is really key. I catch myself thinking things like: "I'll never be able to eat things I enjoy again!" or "what if I have complications?" and even wanting to jump down people's throats when they're trying to give me encouragement ("easy for you to say, you're not the one that has to starve!"). But then I catch myself and start envisioning myself a year from now, waking up early to go for a run and with strong, toned arms. That's my fantasy! lol. It gets me through the day! What's your coping mechanism for getting through these dark times?

So awesome that you have a support group! Did you find them through your surgeon? I really want to find a group around here for when I'm clear to exercise. I know I won't do it unless I have a group of people to really hold me accountable. I have some of those same doubts as you, but it's just our minds going over to that dark place again. Try to keep it in check! We can absolutely make this change and never look back!

Ahhh almost forgot: try the premier shakes. Just got back from costco and bought 3 packs: vanilla, chocolate, and banana Cream. Chocolate is kind of gross, but I'm sure it'll help when I get sick of the others. I'm also trying to mix things up a little bit: just made SF cheesecake pudding by substituting milk for the Vanilla shakes. Yum!

When do you have to start your liquid diet?