Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing weight wk 3 (gain)

Hi guys looking for some support here ,

i was sleeved on 5/2 lost about 20 pounds the first two weeks of being on liquids. Week 3 i started intoducing solids and the lowest number i saw on the scale was 244 last week this week im up at 255 & i just dont get it , how can i possibly be up 10 pounds in one week when im not eating half the things i was before ? I could bump up my Water i will say that & my nutrisionist doesnt require a certain amout of Protein i need to get in so im not sure what to do from here !

You need to make sure you are getting enough Protein and Water. Also, a 20 pound loss in two weeks is a lot, it could be your body adjusting. I would still say that protein intake is really important :-)

Sent from my SM-G900FD using BariatricPal mobile app

How much Protein should i be getting in ? Im just suprised the scale went up :/

I eat fish ,veggies , chicken salads no bread no rice and no Pasta she said as long as im getting in my 60 ounces of fluids in i could eat a lil bit of everything execpt the rice , pasta, and bread. I will admit some days its a challage to get in the 60 ounces in .

6 minutes ago, Gee123 said:

I eat fish ,veggies , chicken salads no bread no rice and no Pasta she said as long as im getting in my 60 ounces of fluids in i could eat a lil bit of everything execpt the rice , Pasta, and bread. I will admit some days its a challage to get in the 60 ounces in .

How often are you eating and are you tracking your food with an app (e.g. MFP)? If so, what are your total calories per day and total Protein? I wasn't eating all the food you've listed 3 weeks post-op as I was still on puréed food and 4 weeks later, I fill up very quickly on dense protein (2-3 oz) so there's not much room for anything else, even veggies.

My hospital didnt have that pureed stage , they said that as long as it sat well in my belly i could start introducing solids and raw veggies into my diet . Im not tracking my food i will prob start doing that this week. I do think that i could eat more than what i see other people eat online but i guess everyone is so different

definitely track your food. it's very hard to see places to make changes or for people to give you advice without food tracking.

just for example, many people think they are doing super well with their eating but it turns out that their "healthy Protein bars" they're having as Snacks add up to 500+ calories in a day, or that they're eating much more often than they should be and veering into grazing etc. food journalling will really help you see patterns and trends and understand your eating better. measuring your food is also a very good idea. over- AND under-estimating your portions is common and can lead to you having a distorted understanding of what you're truly eating. I will almost always eat about three times the recommended portion of nuts, just for example, if I don't take the time to actually measure the portion. with calorie dense foods like nuts that kind of mistake really adds up, and fast!

there are lots of really great apps out there that make it relatively painless. you can even have them send you reminders if you forget to track, so you can get into the habit!

my personal oopsie is almost always eating out. I'll think I've been doing really well, then look at my tracker and discover I've eaten out 6 times in two weeks or something similar. even a sleeved belly is no match for that much restaurant food LOL!

as to how much protein you require, my RD came up with my number based on a formula that took into account my sex, height, weight etc. as a 5'3" woman I need significantly less protein than a 6'0" man, so it's hard for any of us to tell you what your protein goal should be. my recommendation is that you advocate for yourself and ask your dietician to give you a protein goal. even if they don't normally do it, they should be able to come up with one for you. protein is so important to your healing and retaining muscle mass! seems completely bizarre to me that you wouldn't have even a general idea of what to aim for.

My surgeon and nutritionist were firm about getting a minimum of 64 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of fluids every day. That is the minimum. Protein first, then vegetables, then fruits. Skip all processed carbs. bread, Pasta, cereals - all will slow weight loss and cause you to retain fluids. I am coming up on the one year anniversary of my surgery and have lost 130 pounds. I still have a Premier Protein shake every morning for Breakfast to get my day started right and get in 30 grams of low-carb whey protein.