Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2nd sleeve buddy

I am scheduled to have surgery May 2nd and start liquid diet 4/17. I would love to find buddies for anyone having surgery around my date.

Are you nervous/excited? I'm excited. I've also lost about 40lbs since my first visit to surgeon.

Are you nervous/excited? I'm excited. I've also lost about 40lbs since my first visit to surgeon.

I am both. It's more of the unexpected. I'll be nervous until it's done. But excited to start the next part of my life. I started this process about last May. You? I just ordered all my liquid diet food and my pre op apt is on the 19th. I seen a couple posts about people having other issues found out on those appointments so now I have something else to worry about entirely lol. How long have you been doing this for?

I agree with the unexpected. That's what makes me nervous. I started July 2016 with my surgeon. I ordered all of my vitamins/supplements and went to Sam's Club to get my Protein Shakes. My pre op is 4/26/17. I saw that too - going in for pre-op and having an entirely new issue come up. Ugh. I'm going to try to not worry about it, but yes, that's in the back of my mind! I just went through a divorce too, so I am thinking about this the same way, the next part of my life. I'm in Alabama, what state are you in?

I agree with the unexpected. That's what makes me nervous. I started July 2016 with my surgeon. I ordered all of my vitamins/supplements and went to Sam's Club to get my Protein  shakes. My pre op is 4/26/17. I saw that too - going in for pre-op and having an entirely new issue come up. Ugh. I'm going to try to not worry about it, but yes, that's in the back of my mind! I just went through a divorce too, so I am thinking about this the same way, the next part of my life. I'm in Alabama, what state are you in?

I wish I was given that option. They gave me a sheet with a phone number on top of it and I called to place the order of the flavor of shake, broths etc I wanted. No choice given as to getting it in my own. I'm more concerned about the lack of communication. No one has bothered to tell me yet how I even do the liquid diet. I have no supplements/vitamins and no one has mentioned them. I have no idea how much to drink each day. I assume this mysterious box will come with instructions lol. I am in michigan. Where abouts in Alabama are you from? I have family in huntsville, but that's about the only place I have been. How is your support group at home after the divorce? My husband is supportive, but besides him, my mother & grandmother, no one knows. I haven't brought it up to my in laws. I'm not concerned that people won't be supportive, but I come from a large family and don't feel like fielding questions from 20 people. Not sure how to handle that yet. Have you gotten there? Any advice?

I would definitely call your surgeon. I have a packet of information that I was given and it outlines when I am to drink what and suggested times to take my vitamins/supplements. I have to have between 1000-1200 calories per day on my liquid diet. I'm using Premiere Protein Shakes and that means I'll have to drink 5 a day to get those calories! I would totally call my surgeon about both the how to and to get the recommendations on vitamins/supplements.

I'm in Montgomery and love being so close to the beach. We love Huntsville too, my oldest son has family and we visit every year, several times.

Thankfully, I have my mom and several very close friends as my support system for everything. I was married for 8 years, but should have only been 2... I put up with a lot trying to "fix it", but you can't fix someone who doesn't realize they are the problem. It was tough to finally get myself together enough to make the healthy choice for myself and my kids. After all is said and done, we are much better off apart and I'm finally happy again.

I've decided to be open and honest with everyone about my surgery. I'm not good at keeping secrets and I feel as if the more people who know, then I will have an even bigger support system, of course, the questions and the haters will come with that too.

At the same time, I think it's perfectly ok to tell people that you'd rather not discuss something with them. I think for the negative people, I'm just going to tell them that I've worked my tail off to get where I am and that's all you need to know!

Bottom line, I've just always found it to be easier to be honest from the start. We really have worked hard to get to this point and we've got to continue to work hard to reach our goal. I'm proud of the progress I've made and I know I'm committed to reaching my goal. We wouldn't do something as drastic as surgery if we weren't committed.

I think once you get some answers from your surgeon, you will be more confident in your talks with family too.

I would definitely call your surgeon. I have a packet of information that I was given and it outlines when I am to drink what and suggested times to take my vitamins/supplements. I have to have between 1000-1200 calories per day on my liquid diet. I'm using Premiere Protein  shakes and that means I'll have to drink 5 a day to get those calories! I would totally call my surgeon about both the how to and to get the recommendations on vitamins/supplements.

I'm in Montgomery and love being so close to the beach. We love Huntsville too, my oldest son has family and we visit every year, several times.

Thankfully, I have my mom and several very close friends as my support system for everything. I was married for 8 years, but should have only been 2... I put up with a lot trying to "fix it", but you can't fix someone who doesn't realize they are the problem. It was tough to finally get myself together enough to make the healthy choice for myself and my kids. After all is said and done, we are much better off apart and I'm finally happy again.

I've decided to be open and honest with everyone about my surgery. I'm not good at keeping secrets and I feel as if the more people who know, then I will have an even bigger support system, of course, the questions and the haters will come with that too.

At the same time, I think it's perfectly ok to tell people that you'd rather not discuss something with them. I think for the negative people, I'm just going to tell them that I've worked my tail off to get where I am and that's all you need to know!

Bottom line, I've just always found it to be easier to be honest from the start. We really have worked hard to get to this point and we've got to continue to work hard to reach our goal. I'm proud of the progress I've made and I know I'm committed to reaching my goal. We wouldn't do something as drastic as surgery if we weren't committed.

I think once you get some answers from your surgeon, you will be more confident in your talks with family too.

Thank you. Due to your advice I called and they moved up my nutrition class. They moved my surgery up a week, just last week. Originally I was having a nutrition class on the 19th then starting my liquid the following Monday. When they moved me up they forgot to move up my nutrition class, so I am now going on Thursday. Phew, good call.

Hopefully this will ease my mind on this. My husband is going to come with me for support and so he know what to expect.

Thankfully my work approved me for time off: with a week off after the surgery, then three weeks off work from home. So it's one less thing I have to worry about. Without using up all my vacation time.

I know my family will be supportive there is just a lot of them. So it's more so for the fact that I don't have to explain it 100x or be talked out of it. I have a co worker who is a year and a half out and doing fabulous.

But oh we're right. Talking to the clinic helped ease my mind. But I never talk to the surgeon. It's always the nurse, nutritionist or scheduler. Is that weird?

So glad you called! The nutrition class should help a lot! I don't think that's weird, I have seen my surgeon once a month and he's answered all of my questions. When I call, I speak to a nurse who is also helpful. Have you met your surgeon? If not, I would schedule that too.

I have met with him a total of twice. And less than 15 minutes each time. It's mainly the nurses and nutritionists. It's like if I don't ask the questions then they don't tell me anything new. The nutrition class is supposed to give me a lot of info for the before and after, but thankfully I do ask a lot of questions and can be a bit direct so thankfully your tip this morning got them to realize they moved my surgery, but not my nutrition class. Yikes

I agree with the unexpected. That's what makes me nervous. I started July 2016 with my surgeon. I ordered all of my vitamins/supplements and went to Sam's Club to get my Protein Shakes. My pre op is 4/26/17. I saw that too - going in for pre-op and having an entirely new issue come up. Ugh. I'm going to try to not worry about it, but yes, that's in the back of my mind! I just went through a divorce too, so I am thinking about this the same way, the next part of my life. I'm in Alabama, what state are you in?

I am having my surgery on April 27.
I am sorry to hear about your divorce! My first husband left my kids and I without warning in 2008 and I have since remarried.
I'm in Utah.
My pre op diet starts tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited.

I am having my surgery on April 27.
I am sorry to hear about your divorce! My first husband left my kids and I without warning in 2008 and I have since remarried.
I'm in Utah.
My pre op diet starts tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited.

It's ok - all things happen for a reason and now it's time to focus on me a little! My experience on liquids has been much better than expected - day 1 was easy, I was excited! Day two kinda tough, but day 3 was killer! Just remind yourself all day why you are doing this. Plus, I don't want to wake up after "surgery" without surgery because of the condition of my liver! Now, I'm on day 5 and I feel great! It's truly amazing to see what we are learning about nutrition put to work. If you need encouragement on the liquid diet, I'm happy to help! I would love to hear your surgery experience as well since I'm May 2. Good luck!!! [emoji256]