Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance approved!

So excited, two days after submission my insuarance company approved me for my tummy tuck.i was so sure I would be denied and have to appeal. Now, I just have to try to contain my excitement and not drive myself or my husband crazy before my Nov 10 surgery date. I have watched the procedure online, listened to numerous stories, and read what seems like 100s of articles on the internet, and I still feel like I am not prepared for what I/ my body will be going through. I think what scares me the most are the drains. I have a really weak stomach and am really hoping the sight and smell of it does not make me sick. Any suggestions on how to get through the next few weeks, and preparing me for post surgery are very much appreciated.

WOW, I could've written that! I felt EXACTLY the same!! I tend to get 'grossed out' very easily which makes me pass out with little warning. I live alone, so the drains scared me as well!

What I did is make them let me care for the drains while in the hospital. Once I got home, I would get everything I needed and lay on my bed, just in case, lol! It actually wasn't as gross as I feared. There shouldn't be a smell unless infected. After a couple of times, I knew I'd be just fine. Yes, the drains are a PIA!

The pain from the TT/Panni wasn't as bad as I'd feared, either. I expected to be fairly debilitated. Rather, except for sleeping sitting up and walking like Quasimodo, I was doing my regular stuff from day 1 (just slower, lol). Barely missed a beat! Of course, no lifting.

One tip that the hospital told me, was, get a long piece of gauze and make it into a large loop. Put that over your neck to pin the drains to, while showering, once you are cleared.

You'll be fine. I look forward to hearing how everything goes.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

If you managed to watch a video of a TT being performed and not throw up, then your drains should be no problem!

After having a mastectomy in January I went with smaller breast. Now my stomach just seems huge.

I also had lap band in 2014 (down 70 lbs) so my stomach is not attractive.

How did you get your insurance to approve your Tummy Tuck?

If you do not mind me asking.

I have seen a surgeon and my cost quote is $6200.00 for the tuck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lucille6624

I tend to rash easily when it is hot out and I sweat, so I first went to my regular doctor and asked what I could use to treat it, he prescribed an ointment. At my 12 month RNY appointment, I was asked how I was doing, I said fine except as I sweat I tend to become a little irritated and get a rash, she looked at my stomach, saw my stretch marks were irritated, recorded it, and we talked a little about plastics. I was not supposed to get a plastic appointment untill December, but somehow the scheduling got screwed up and I went the end of Aug, luckily it was a hot day and my stretch marks were red from sweating, and when they looked at my past medical they saw documentation of my "rash" , we talked and they said they would need pictures to send to the insurance, for some reason, my stomach really started "itching" which of course made the redness worse. The pictures were taken and at that point the suregeon really was not sure if I would be approved, but we tentatively scheduled surgery for Nov, which will be my 18 month post RNY. I heard nothing until I called the surgeons office and asked if they had sent in my pre authorization for, they said not yet, but would do,it the following Monday, I heard Wednesday afternoon, 2 days later. So I guess if you can document a rash, they consider it because a rash can cause infection.

Edited by TLW

@@lucille6624 It definitely will depend on your insurance company and policy. My policy explicitly states it won't cover skin removal surgery due to weight loss from WLS. But some providers will cover it if it is deemed "medically necessary", meaning the loose skin causes chronic rashes or interferes with movement.

@@lucille6624 It definitely will depend on your insurance company and policy. My policy explicitly states it won't cover skin removal surgery due to weight loss from WLS. But some providers will cover it if it is deemed "medically necessary", meaning the loose skin causes chronic rashes or interferes with movement.

Tyvm, I will contact my insurance company today. ????

I tend to rash easily when it is hot out and I sweat, so I first went to my regular doctor and asked what I could use to treat it, he prescribed an ointment. At my 12 month RNY appointment, I was asked how I was doing, I said fine except as I sweat I tend to become a little irritated and get a rash, she looked at my stomach, saw my stretch marks were irritated, recorded it, and we talked a little about plastics. I was not supposed to get a plastic appointment untill December, but somehow the scheduling got screwed up and I went the end of Aug, luckily it was a hot day and my stretch marks were red from sweating, and when they looked at my past medical they saw documentation of my "rash" , we talked and they said they would need pictures to send to the insurance, for some reason, my stomach really started "itching" which of course made the redness worse. The pictures were taken and at that point the suregeon really was not sure if I would be approved, but we tentatively scheduled surgery for Nov, which will be my 18 month post RNY. I heard nothing until I called the surgeons office and asked if they had sent in my pre authorization for, they said not yet, but would do,it the following Monday, I heard Wednesday afternoon, 2 days later. So I guess if you can document a rash, they consider it because a rash can cause infection.

Thank you, I had rashes after working outside in the heat. I used topical creams and went to the dermatologist as well. I never thought of asking if skin removal would help but now I am going to.

So excited, two days after submission my insuarance company approved me for my tummy tuck.i was so sure I would be denied and have to appeal. Now, I just have to try to contain my excitement and not drive myself or my husband crazy before my Nov 10 surgery date. I have watched the procedure online, listened to numerous stories, and read what seems like 100s of articles on the internet, and I still feel like I am not prepared for what I/ my body will be going through. I think what scares me the most are the drains. I have a really weak stomach and am really hoping the sight and smell of it does not make me sick. Any suggestions on how to get through the next few weeks, and preparing me for post surgery are very much appreciated.

Which insurance do you have I'm hoping mine would pay as well

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using the BariatricPal App