Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym ugh

I hate being here when the anorexic woman is here just saying. It is a downer she is like in her 50s looks pushing 70 and is here for like hours and runs here. She weighs 95 lbs wet. I know it is the opposite of my eating issues but I don't know. It just seems more wrong. Like being 500lbs at all you can eat buffet!

...more wrong.

"More wrong?" I couldn't guess how to calculate wrongness or rightness or correctness in this arena. It's likely that she's at the gym in service to her eating disorder. I can't help but wonder whether she, like so many bariatric and obese people, fears being judged?

Pot kettle I guess. I am not going to diagnose her but seeing someone workout for hours when they are literally a skeleton with skin is challenging. So I was posting in rants and raves because I am ranting. And I never said was a perfect being. It is my struggle and I shared it.

When I go to the gym. I see women like what you described, but I also see women who are the same size as me and some who are bigger than me. The 1st week I went to the gym I kid you not a skinny cute blonde lady stared at me every day for 3 days in a row. It bothered me a little. Then I decided you know what I am not here for anyone but myself. I feel everyone is in the gym for the same reason regardless of their size. We are all there to workout. I have been going 6 days a week for over a month now, and I will continue to go for myself and my health. I think if you look at it from this point of view it a little easier. Good Luck in your journey

My gym has a lot of diversity in age, size, race and ability. It's a very comfortable place to hang out. I never feel judged.

So was not trying to judge but share something that does make me uncomfortable. I mostly like our gym and have been going for quite sometime which is why I am familiar with her. It is more like it strikes me now how I am trying to move past a problem on other extreme and her is someone clearly (because yes it is clear) damaging themselves on the other extreme -- and one that is (mostly) socially acceptable. Was me being petty I guess not trying to bash gyms or eating disorders.

Rant over.

The gym....i suppose, is not unlike Church.

When seated the pews.....if we look around....we'll see a congregation comprised of sinners.

The gym......is filled with folks that need to be there for different reasons. We all work on what we feel are our areas of need.

Both are places where I find myself making headway when I stay focused on making my own improvements and not worry about the affairs of others.....and I hope that others there do the same.

I chuckle a bit at this rant. I personally have always been really uncomfortable at the gym whether it was the gym we had at work or the gym I paid for monthly. In many cases I just avoided it period mostly because all the young hot people were there picking up members of the opposite sex. At least that is what it felt like to me.

Now, I found a really great gym at my local Pro Health center which has a full blown gym, warm Water therapy pool, lap pool and it also has PT there.

So, because I have severe arthritis I knew the pools, whirlpools and saunas would be great for me but I would also get benefit in the gym.

I went to the pool the first day and all was good. I should note that I am the youngest most fit person there which is funny because I am 53 and I have lost 152lbs and currently only weigh 158. So you can imagine the lose skin. LOL The second day I went to the pool I got hit on by every elderly person in the pool. I was literally backed into a corner of the pool by 2 guys and I was so uncomfortable. The other ladies in the pool were older than me and about as obese as I was before surgery. They were shooting daggers at me and here I was feeling very out of place and uncomfortable by these women and the guys hitting on me.

How everything has changed. LOL.

It also did not help that my boobies like to float up and out of my size 8 swimsuit. I do need a new one in which they cannot escape at least until I get them lifted and augmented. They are simply lighter than anything else but I found myself laughing with my husband about this whole scene.

if you didn't know it, all this loose skin floats up in the Water and I clearly haven't learned how to keep it from doing that.