Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant? Fill Out???

I am 4 months pregnant and my Dr. told me at my next visit in 3 weeks I had to get all my fill out. I have had this fill for 15 months and lost 100lbs.. It is a great fill. I have a tipped port and it takes a very long time to get the needle in, I really want it left alone. Last fill under x-ray 1 hour. They are worried when the baby gets bigger I won't be able to eat. I think I could, if I had to get all my nutrition from liquids, Proteins and so forth. Help? Am I being selfish or vain about this??? I really don't want to gain all the weight back that has taken me so long to loose I still have a long way to go..

p.s.

Eventhough my Dr hasn't had any children recently( past 20 years )she does have a band...

I'm no expert on this-- But I would ask the doctor if you can try to go without getting the unfill first, and if it presents a problem you can get it unfilled.

I thought that's how they generally go about it anyway?

When I found out I was pregnant I had a partial unfill I went from 2.2cc in my band to 1.1 and I only gained 23 pounds. I was also luckey that I didnt get morning sickness so I didnt throw up much but I refused to let the doctor take my entire fill he also thought it would be best that I kept some fill so that I wouldnt gain all the weight back. Good luck

What does your OB say? I would do what they say is best for the baby. And when you are pregnant if you dont eat right and get enough calories it will take it from your body somehow making you less healthy.

Just forget about weight right now and do what is healthy for your baby and yourself. There is plenty of time to worry about your weight after the baby is here.

Thats what my doctor told me but out of experience its very hard to be pregnant and not think about gaining weight, I was so upset for the first 4 or 5 months that I could'nt eat and I was feeling depressed, I had already had 2 children and wasnt expecting anymore so I took it really hard when I found out I was expecting number 3 that I felt like my surgery was ruined (selfish of me) but I love my baby to death and it did take me about a year and a half to get back into it and now I am ready to get to my goal.

I am also currently pregnant. Due Sept 19th. I did have a complete unfill at 10 weeks due to horrible all-day sickness. I was very anxious and worried about weight gain, but after getting ahold of myself, really I'm doing all of this for my baby. I can always get filled again and jump back on the weightloss track. To be completely honest I don't really have the ability at this point to even eat as much as I did at my most filled state. The baby is taking up so much room, so I am back to eating small meals/snacks throughout the day. My surgeon wasn't worried about the calorie intake while pregnant he was more worried about calories during breastfeeding. It is your decision maybe just a slight unfill as the months go on will work for you.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!!

Thanks for all the help I am about 17-18 weeks and I think that I will get an unfill I have never gained more than 7 pounds with my past 2 pregnancies and I was not banded.. I am just so worried about the actual unfill and possible refill...

i went my whole pregnancy without getting unfilled. BUT i had very little restriction. No problems at all. I straight up told doctor, "No, I'm not throwing up, I'm eating normal for a pregnant woman, and if I have problems, I'll call you." Not in a bitchy way, but hey, she's my doctor, I pay her,I respect her opinion, but I know my body too. I have the right to decide what was going to happen, not let her tell me what she was going to do. She was totally respectful an things went great. Oddly enough, without a fill, my restiction picked up 6 weeks after baby, doc says everything is great. And, not that you are dealing with this, but sometimes I cannot believe how arrogant and pusky doctors can be, and especially with pregnancy and the band. Mine was unplanned, but I rolled with it, had a great obstetrition who was positive about it, and a band doc who respected me as long as I respected her. I hate bully doctors, as a chob, I've dealt with them often, and I found it best on my self esteem to listen to them and respect their knowlege, but also respect my instinct with my own body.

p.s. if your doc totally not like this, please don't get mad, just ranting :eek:

I know what you're going through.

I found out I was pregnant the exact day that I got a fill. I was so scared they (my surgeon or OB) was going to make me get an unfill.

But... my surgeon told me that as long as i'm not having too much morning sickness, and if the OB said it was okay, I didn't have to unfill my band.

My OB said that the baby would be just fine, and would get the nutrients it needed from my body. He just stressed the importance of taking Vitamins and making sure that the food that I could eat, was healthy.

So, I didn't have to get an unfill. I ended up losing a total of 40lbs while being pregnant. The pregnancy went very well. My son is now almost 3 mos old and is as healthy as an ox!

They can't force you to have an unfill. However, if you don't follow your dr's medical advice, they can fire you as a patient. I'd try talking to your dr and letting him know exactly what your concerns are.