Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't feed the food addition... Now what?

So I'm 3 weeks out from GBP RNY and I'm physically feeling great. I can get all my liquids and Proteins no problem, I'm incorporating the pureed foods in just fine. I'm getting a lot of walking in, have even tried a little tennis (although I don't know if I'm quite ready for that yet). But overall I feel physically good.

The problem is my fat girl brain. I'm just starting to realize what people mean when they say they miss their addiction... In a way I've lost my only coping mechanism and my best friend: food.

I'm feeling a little depressed and almost don't even want to bother with making pureed meals because "why bother?" I can only have a few tablespoons, and food even tastes bad now. And I'm never hungry. And for whatever reason, I just can't get myself to feel better. My smart brain knows this to be nonsensical. But my fat girl brain misses that feeling of satisfaction, of feeding the addiction, and for the first time ever I don't have the ability to shut her up with delicious ice cream or mac & cheese. This is so not me. I'm positive and happy and generally just have my head screwed on straight.

That's all. Random rant.

I probably just need more exercise and to be patient.

Edited by swizzle

Just hang in there, this is the worst time during the surgery process. Soon you will have many more food choices and even though they are much healthier than what you were eating, they will give you more satisfaction. Your hormones are kicked into high gear right now because of loosing weight, this will get better in time as well. Trust me you will get hungry again and you will start feeling much better. It takes a good three months to get through a lot of these emotions and it will go quicker than you can imagine.

@"swizzle" thanks for posting I am 1 week post op and al ready feeling that way being around the smell of food I used to love. My head nose and tastebuds want it, but my tummy no way which is good, but makes me worry that this is going to be a long process. I now I can do it, just have to hang in there. I feel you.

Edited by numeby2017

Start journaling

Go for a walk when you feel bad

Start a blog

Join a support group

Read a book

Meditate

Snap a rubber band

Do things to distract your addiction

Swizzle you gave a very good description of "head hunger".

I am 35 months post-op RNY and things will get better. Two points to make. First, we have a natural need to chew, it is part of our digestive process. So part of what you may be missing is chewing. Second, I found out that mixing food groups together seems to restore taste. Therefore once you transition to solids, I would recommend consuming high Protein chili and Soups. They go down a lot easier and actual have tastes.

Thanks for all the good feedback, guys!! It's a new day and I feel immeasurably better! I think this is just going to be a struggle and I have to think of ways to break the "head hunger"! And yes, once I'm on regular foods again it will probably be a lot better! Honestly I'm just craving a beautiful delicious strawberry right now! :)

Glad to hear you're feeling better! I'm kind of the opposite- having just started into the purée and soft food stage, after weeks prior to and after surgery, it is like I'm

Rediscovering tastes. Today had tuna mixed with cottage cheese awesome seasonings and 1 tbl of scalloped potatoes. Blended most of the chunks out, heated it and it was like having a tuna melt! At dinner I had some homemade pulled pork ( no bbq sauce) with cottage cheese and frozen spinach and more seasonings. Mixed, blended, heated- yum! Try and get creative. I'm allowed 1/2 c food per meal. That is 8 tablespoons. Add different things to it to make something that explodes in your mouth! Good luck!

I felt exactly the same. I'm almost 8 weeks out and it is getting better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches