Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercises for Arms

I carry a lot of weight in my arms and I am hoping to start a regime to help tone and strengthen them to hopefully reduce the amount of saggy skin after my weight loss. Any tips, exercises, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I used to swim in high school and I loved it. Unfortunately there isn't a pool close to where I live or else I would hop right in. Thanks for the suggestions!

Remember all those calisthenics we learned in school: arm circles, touching your shoulders, etc.? Do those.

Also, get some light Dumbbells and do curls, etc.

Good idea! I will create a routine to do incorporating those. Thanks! I am getting so pumped as my surgery date is getting closer and closer!

Good idea! I will create a routine to do incorporating those. Thanks! I am getting so pumped as my surgery date is getting closer and closer!

It is exciting gearing up for surgery.

Post-op, the most exciting thing for me has been seeing such a physical improvement.

I have gone from barely being able to walk, needing help getting into my bed and car, to swimming laps (over a mile) regularly, with improvements every day.

I have tried just about every arm exercise known and because I had huge upper arms, I now have huge near empty bat wings. I have some definition below but I will have to have this removed. Believe it or not my arms bother me more than anything. When I raise my arms I can see the beautiful thin arm of the future but all the sagging skin is hanging off them. Ugh!

I hid them when I was fat and I am now hiding them because they are really ugly.

I just hit goal today so now I need to maintain for the next year and then I can think about plastics.

I have tried just about every arm exercise known and because I had huge upper arms, I now have huge near empty bat wings. I have some definition below but I will have to have this removed. Believe it or not my arms bother me more than anything. When I raise my arms I can see the beautiful thin arm of the future but all the sagging skin is hanging off them. Ugh!

I hid them when I was fat and I am now hiding them because they are really ugly.

I just hit goal today so now I need to maintain for the next year and then I can think about plastics.

I have a feeling I will be in the same boat. Congrats on hitting your goal. I wish you well as you continue your journey.

I am half way to goal and I have some lovely bad/bat wings. (Edited because autocorrect called them "bad wings" and it actually made sense).

As one of those interchangeable TV style people said: if your bat wings bother you so much, wear sleeves.

I carry a lot of weight in my arms and I am hoping to start a regime to help tone and strengthen them to hopefully reduce the amount of saggy skin after my weight loss. Any tips, exercises, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Idk if u have heard of this or not, but I'm an It Works Distributor. I am also, in the gastric bypass world. I am only thinking about the surgery right now. But I just wanted to bring up something that might help you out. We have wraps that are meant to tighten tone and firm loose skin. I feel like this will help you out tremendously!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Congrats on making goal!!!!!

You want exercises that target triceps and biceps. Easy to find by online search. Loads of sources with instructions for proper form (important), two of which are sparkpeople.com and livestrong.com.

Whether building muscle will minimize sagging is something you won't know until you get there. If you succeed to some degree, it will be because of maximum diligence and maybe genetics. In any case, loose skin looks better over toned muscle than untoned muscle.

Also in any case, strength is a good thing.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@dnpatrick9

P.S. It's also a good idea to do something for forearms. They don't quite sag, but do get a little jiggly. I've seen something on sparkpeople, but don't recall what it's called. It was something about sitting with the forearm resting lengthwise on the thigh, palm up, and doing a small movement with a dumbbell. Don't just do it, though, without seeing the little video.