Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mid life crisis after WLS

For the vet fellas out there, did you find WLS spurred a mid life crisis? While only 35 I am married with 4 kids... so feel a bit older than my age. I have found myself making a lot of changes in the 4 months since surgery. I bought my very first brand new car... all black with black wheels. I've been shopping for clothes and not just because nothing fits me anymore, but rather because I want to. I care about shaving and getting haircuts again. Sex drive is at my 19 year old self level. Hell, I just bought a pair of retro Air Jordan IVs because I wanted them so bad as a child. Most of this I've attributed to just loving life again... but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm becoming the stereotypical middle aged man.

Sort of? Maybe?

I feel sexy again, so I'm taking more time with my hair and makeup. I am buying more clothes because I want to. I don't buy clothes at all usually except every few years as things wear out; got out of the habit of shopping for funzies a long time ago.

I think it is more that I'm feeling better about myself and like my real self is slowly emerging from the layers of fat she's been buried under for the last 20 years. I feel better about myself and my appearance and have a wider selection of clothes and looks available since I can fit in normal sized things now. It is an exciting time, but I'm not going to go crazy with it. ;)

Oh, but my hair is teal blue. Does that count as crazy?

I can't believe you bought a new car! Hope you got a good deal!! :D

ETA: sorry, posted without noticing it was in the guy's room. Ignore me!

Edited by FrankiesGirl

I went through mid-life crisis around 30 years ago, so surgery was not a repeat of that experience. But I did discover that it was enjoyable to buy new clothes especially tight fitting designer jeans.

I had my VBG surgery at 35 and lost 230 lbs. Even though I had changed a lot, I had a very supportive Wife and family. I was able to spend so much more quality time with them after loosing the weight. But I agree, I did upgrade in clothes and physical activities that I thought were never possible since I was a kid. Now I need a revision and back within 90 lbs of my original weight, and kids are all grown up. Now it more for my health and to live longer.

For the vet fellas out there, did you find WLS spurred a mid life crisis? While only 35 I am married with 4 kids... so feel a bit older than my age. I have found myself making a lot of changes in the 4 months since surgery. I bought my very first brand new car... all black with black wheels. I've been shopping for clothes and not just because nothing fits me anymore, but rather because I want to. I care about shaving and getting haircuts again. Sex drive is at my 19 year old self level. Hell, I just bought a pair of retro Air Jordan IVs because I wanted them so bad as a child. Most of this I've attributed to just loving life again... but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm becoming the stereotypical middle aged man.

Well , brother......I had the VSG done last October in response to a back injury.

Pain is better although I'm chewing on a Tramadol with my morning coffee at the moment. Lol.

I get what you are saying and have had similar experiences.

I do want to buy a new car......something sporty & fast. It's going to wait, though.

My funds and time off is still being channeled to get in shape, new clothes and some travel. Some of the traveling will be with family.......some is just for me.....getting away and experiencing places that interest me.

I know plastics are ahead and so is college tuition for my son.

Sports car will be a nice reward down the road. A more accurate aquisition for me will be a new pair of knees first........after I blow these out training for 5k races later this year.

I had my surgery in late July and I am paying more attention to how I look. Since I am still in the losing stage I haven't gone crazy on clothes - just enough to maintain a work wardrobe. This isn't a mid-life crisis, it's wanting to look my best and live life fully after years of neglect. I am looking froward to doing a lot more traveling and being more active with my my family. I feel like this whole process has opened up the future for me and I want to be ready for it!.

Thanks guys... appreciate all of the responses!

I should add the new car purchase was a few years in the making. I had a 2000 grand cherokee that I bought used in 2005... I put around $4000 for repairs into it in the past year and decided I'd rather put money into a new car, rather than fixing a beater. However, going with a midsize car versus a truck/suv was absolutely made possible (and encouraged) by the surgery. As much as my inner man was pushing me towards a sports car... I did the sensible thing and purchased the economical ford fusion that fit into my budget.

Sports car will be a nice reward down the road. A more accurate aquisition for me will be a new pair of knees first........after I blow these out training for 5k races later this year.

I'm right there with you... have a soon to be 14 year old daughter that will be starting high school next fall. College tuition is right around the corner.

Also have that 5k goal... but I keep procrastinating starting the C25K program as I'm also worried about injuring myself. However, I did recently return to the ice to help out at my kids hockey practices... haven't been on skates in 5 years, so that's a big step.

I'm right there with you... have a soon to be 14 year old daughter that will be starting high school next fall. College tuition is right around the corner.

Also have that 5k goal... but I keep procrastinating starting the C25K program as I'm also worried about injuring myself. However, I did recently return to the ice to help out at my kids hockey practices... haven't been on skates in 5 years, so that's a big step.

Huge step to get on the ice again!!!!!!!

Fun stuff right there.......getting active with your kids !!!

I'm going to take it very easily, too on this 5K stuff. I haven't been able to run since I was a senior in high school due to a knee injury. Back in ancient times.

No rushing.....gonna be safe......the goal being to maintain a fitness level where I'll be 5k ready at anytime of the year.

I really wish there was an aquatic center nearby. Swimming is what I really needed to do.

@@goblue9280 - Been there, done that, I think I even have some designer t-shirts. (Black Lexus 350 SL, highly recommended). Except for being 15 years older (I have four kids) and being divorced, yep went through that period. It was fun, but glad to settle down with a new normal and new girlfriend (hopefully the last one) and realized I got out of that period of my life with credit intact and no STD's.

Don't think of it as a mid-life crisis, its a rediscovery of yourself, your potential and over all stud factor.

As to the C25K program, unless you have not updated your weight ticker, I think you should wait around 40 more pounds before trying. I did it at 280 and really hurt myself. I stuck to the elliptical until I was under 230 and then did the C25K program and it was the first pain free running I have ever done. I also learned to use a shuffling stride to keep from banging my joints to death.

But it worked. No complaints, no injuries.

I went through "manopause" a few years ago that manifested itself in motorcycles and snowmobiles. Both are going to be a lot more fun 100lbs down the road. Surgery 03/08. post-265442-14557161901469_thumb.jpg post-265442-14557162078078_thumb.jpg post-265442-14557162268671_thumb.jpg post-265442-14557162512648_thumb.jpg post-265442-14557162758049_thumb.jpg

I say I'm procrastinating, but I think I'm doing the sensible thing. The fact is I haven't put enough effort into working out yet... so I think jumping into the C25K, as you've pointed out, is a recipe for disaster until I get my fitness level up a bit. I'm going to continue going out on the ice with my kids 1-2 times per week... continue walking a mile at lunch... and start upping my bike rides (which to date I can count all of them on one hand.)

Setting a goal to run my first 5K by my 1 year surgi-versary (Oct 1st) seems like a doable plan.

As to the C25K program, unless you have not updated your weight ticker, I think you should wait around 40 more pounds before trying. I did it at 280 and really hurt myself. I stuck to the elliptical until I was under 230 and then did the C25K program and it was the first pain free running I have ever done. I also learned to use a shuffling stride to keep from banging my joints to death.

But it worked. No complaints, no injuries.

@@737captain That Norton is gorgeous. My dad has a couple British sports cars (TR6 and MGA), so I've always wanted a British bike. Have had my eye on a present day Triumph Bonneville...

Used to have a cottage in northern Michigan when I was a kid in the 80s/90s. My dad bought my brother and I used kid-sized arctic cat kitty cat snowmobiles... many a weekend was spent running those little guys out of gas. Unfortunately, no snow in Houston... although I did see a pickup truck on the highway the other day with an old 60s/70s Rupp snowmobile in the bed. It was very odd, lol.

I have a Kitty Cat hanging above my bar in my man cave. Kinda odd to see one here in Florida too.

Hey guys - working up the nerve to make the jump and finally schedule my 'sleeve'. Guess my only question is "was it worth it?" Nervous as heck, but not scared. Is this normal to feel this way? Have had other surgeries before and never felt like this.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App