Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

second thoughts...

Hey guys,

I have been thinking about lap band for several years. Finally, in August I decided to make my first appointment. I was recommended lap band surgery as I thought already and started different examinations and appointments. My surgery is on February 24th and I have been super excited until today. My boyfriend and family are great supporters and really excited for me. Mainly, because I used to be a "thick girl" most of my life. I was never skinny but back in 2008 I weighed 165lbs and was very active. After major personal problems, I stopped exercising and living healthy and as of today, I weigh 245lbs. I still look good :) and I am happy but this is mainly about my health. In August, I was 263lbs so I managed to lose some weight since then.

Anyways, lots of friends and coworkers have been trying to talk me out of the surgery. They all are telling me I can do it on my own and I should never settle for something so drastic like the surgery. I told my boss today that I will need some sick leave and told him what my plans are. He as well tried to talk me out of it. So here I am, sitting in my office wondering if I am making a mistake. I have been so exciting for past 6 months and now I am scared something might go wrong.

Has anyone went through the same?

I have no regrets at all! It wasn't a 'hard' surgery. I had mine done on a Thursday, and took off Friday and was back to work on Monday, but I was never sore, or anything. Do you think those that are trying to talk you out of it are trying to sabatoge you in some way? Maybe they don't want you to lose! Probably not-but just putting that out there. I waited a long time to lose and still have some to go, but I'm happy with the 70 lbs I've lost. I'd be happy if I lost another 40 or so.

I had my surgery no problems but i was off work for awhile due to recovery time. A lot of pain i will let you know that, but i have no regrets & I'm still working towards my goal weight. I found people who aren't in your shoes don't understand how we feel. Do what you need to do for yourself. Best of luck i know you will do great!!!!

Thanks girls!

I have really been thinking about the reasons they might have to talk me out of something I really want. Everyone keeps telling me how they know someone who had it and this and that happened to them. All of the stories are scary. I have been disregarding all the negativity but today, I feel confused. I have tried everything but always failed. My doctor told me that having the band will be kind of a psychological thing. Basically, me knowing I had a surgery will not allow me to give up or overeat myself. And I know thats true. I just wonder if there is anyone who regrets having the surgery.

I am not worried about the pain much...I am not worried about the diet because I know it is gonna be part of my new life, I just wish people were happy for me and stopped scaring me

I had my surgery no problems but i was off work for awhile due to recovery time. A lot of pain i will let you know that, but i have no regrets & I'm still working towards my goal weight. I found people who aren't in your shoes don't understand how we feel. Do what you need to do for yourself. Best of luck i know you will do great!!!!

Hi Katy - I didn't tell many people about the surgery before I had it because I knew people had a negative view of WLS. I still keep it to myself because people (even those I consider friends) often think they know better than me and my doctors :-). I have not regretted the surgery at all. I used the lapband as a reboot for my eating practices.

I did not have pain after at all. The day of the surgery was actually the most difficult - nerves, pain, fear. I think having second thoughts is natural. You need to do what is best for you and not other people.

I am no expert, as I have only had the lap band a month and some change. I will say I totally understand where you're coming from. I am a very scary person, and I have pondered this for 4 years, but kept telling my self it was so drastic....do I really need to do this? I had to finally be honest with myself, that I was not successful on my own. No one truly understands "your" battle, it may not be theirs. So, it took me this long because my fear of the unknown held me back. I hit a new high, said I will have to make healthy changes one day soon, by force, or by my own choice. I decided to put fear aside. Don't focus on the negative, but take your life by the horns...it's your life and your future. How do you want it to be? I naturally was wondering the first couple days after if I had made the right choice. I know I did! My band only has a half of a cc in it, and I can tell the difference. I feel totally normal. My stomach was sore for the first 5-6 days, but really on day 5-6 I was at the store finishing my Christmas shopping! So far, I am very glad I did it and gave my self a CHANCE at being successful, and I am only beginning my journey! You can do this!

Best Wishes!

Most people who are successful with bariatric surgery keep it to themselves. It's the patients who fail that makes all the noise. So, your co-workers are getting their information from failures. Have any of your co-workers had the surgery, probably not?

Good luck I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

I decided to tell people to make sure that nobody would tempt me and they would be ready for me to start eating different. Most of them keep telling me how I will never eat like "regular" people again, how they cant even take me out to restaurants anymore.... tons of horror stories....its just been so stressful and I wish I didnt tell them

Hi Katy - I didn't tell many people about the surgery before I had it because I knew people had a negative view of WLS. I still keep it to myself because people (even those I consider friends) often think they know better than me and my doctors :-). I have not regretted the surgery at all. I used the lapband as a reboot for my eating practices.

I did not have pain after at all. The day of the surgery was actually the most difficult - nerves, pain, fear. I think having second thoughts is natural. You need to do what is best for you and not other people.

I decided to tell people to make sure that nobody would tempt me and they would be ready for me to start eating different. Most of them keep telling me how I will never eat like "regular" people again, how they cant even take me out to restaurants anymore.... tons of horror stories....its just been so stressful and I wish I didnt tell them

Katy - I am sorry people have been negative. Some of the people I told were that way, quite a few people have made negative comments, and they don't know. You know what is best for you though, so ignore them all :-).

For the record, I do go to restaurants. Chain places are great for me because they are now including calories on light menus. I still avoid most processed carbs (bread, rice, pasta) and I have no problems eating out.

That§s great! I love to cook with my boyfriend host dinner nights. But now I am wondering....when you do eat out, do you order practically anything besides carbs? Do you take your left overs?

I am going to do it and just ignore what evryone has to say. Life is not about food even though I am love to cook....I just remembered why I decided for surgery and it put me back on track.

Katy - I am sorry people have been negative. Some of the people I told were that way, quite a few people have made negative comments, and they don't know. You know what is best for you though, so ignore them all :-).

For the record, I do go to restaurants. Chain places are great for me because they are now including calories on light menus. I still avoid most processed carbs (bread, rice, pasta) and I have no problems eating out.

you are right! I made my decision long ago...this was just a little set back and reminder why I want it at the first place. Thank you!

Most people who are successful with bariatric surgery keep it to themselves. It's the patients who fail that makes all the noise. So, your co-workers are getting their information from failures. Have any of your co-workers had the surgery, probably not?

Good luck I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

thank you! Like I said...I just needed to vent and reassure myself I made the right decision. Since you are fairly new to this, is there anything you find hard to do or as an obstacle?

I am no expert, as I have only had the lap band a month and some change. I will say I totally understand where you're coming from. I am a very scary person, and I have pondered this for 4 years, but kept telling my self it was so drastic....do I really need to do this? I had to finally be honest with myself, that I was not successful on my own. No one truly understands "your" battle, it may not be theirs. So, it took me this long because my fear of the unknown held me back. I hit a new high, said I will have to make healthy changes one day soon, by force, or by my own choice. I decided to put fear aside. Don't focus on the negative, but take your life by the horns...it's your life and your future. How do you want it to be? I naturally was wondering the first couple days after if I had made the right choice. I know I did! My band only has a half of a cc in it, and I can tell the difference. I feel totally normal. My stomach was sore for the first 5-6 days, but really on day 5-6 I was at the store finishing my Christmas shopping! So far, I am very glad I did it and gave my self a CHANCE at being successful, and I am only beginning my journey! You can do this!

Best Wishes!

@@katy -Most restaurants have grilled chicken, beef or fish in my area. So, not eating bread, potatoes, Pasta or rice has not really been a problem for me. As you can imagine, I eat a lot of salads.

On a side note, before I had the surgery, I was a vegetarian. Switching to a diet eating animal Protein was a big change for me.

And, yes, I do take the leftovers home. Often times I have lunch for two days, which is a good money saver :-D.

I got my surgery a week & one day ago.. I felt the same way as you. My family was very negative about it but I put their opinions aside and focused on what I really need to do for myself. Try not to let them get to you!