Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the weight loss start?

I gotta be honest, I'm feeling a lot of buyer's remorse.

I'm two weeks post-op and I've actually gained 4 pounds.

I have a vacation coming up at the end of May and I was told I would be down 40-60 pounds by then.

So far it looks like I'll be +20.

My only thought is that my pre-op diet was so awesome that my body just wanted to settle. (My happy thought that I'm clinging to)

I sure hope it kicks in soon. This is depressing.

@@faxxy

Two weeks out? You are still recovering from surgery. Give yourself time.

40 to 60 pounds in 2 months? Look into statistics. And also realize that we all drop weight at different rates. Everyone would love the weight to drop quickly. Weight loss surgery is not a magic solution. Work the program your surgeons office have given you. You will be amazed with the results you get if you are willing to put the work in.

Wishing the best for you,

Jennifer

It's all good faxxy. I know how badly you want to see the scale start dropping. All of us react differently to surgery. You may just need a little more time. The pounds will undoubtedly start disappearing. I have learned that this surgery is about so much more than losing weight. Yes that's the main goal but that's not all you get in return for your efforts. You will shrink physically but emotionally you will grow. You'll learn that not only can you lose weight but you can do many more things as well. Losing the weight is such a big change for those of us who have struggled with obesity our whole lives. It launches you into an all new, strange universe. The changes come fast in comparison with how long we've been overweight. I guess I'm trying to say that you have the rest of your life to find and get to know the 'new you'. It may not be happening as fast as you want but it will happen. Enjoy the ride as much as you can. It's a long ride and there's plenty of new experiences along the way.

Your body may be reacting to your new calorie intake earlier than some others. Check this out (especially the link) and see if it helps....

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

Edited by Rogofulm

I lost 22 pounds pre-op and gained 12 pounds from IV fluids in the hospital. I spent my first two weeks just getting back to where I started, lost a few pounds, then hit the third week stall. At the end of that first month, I started losing about three pounds a week for a while. After I hit fifty pounds down, the pounds lost changed to grams. I am a slow loser and it may take me all the way to my second year to get to my goal, but that's ok.

My orthopedic issues make exercise challenging, and I do have to be creative about it. My pace is not your pace. My metabolism is not your metabolism, but I am so much healthier than before. I will take this how it comes. Hang in there, friend, and follow your plan.

Two weeks out I am -6 pounds.

I'm using the fitbit Aria scale that charts my weigh ins and the patterns are starting to show.

Basically I'm gaining half a pound a day for two days, then on the third day I lose three. So when it all washes out, I'm getting a net loss of about 3 - 4 pounds a week. It's just scary to see the scale stall for two days before each movement.

Thanks for the support.

Edited by faxxy

Three and a half weeks out, I'm down about 8 pounds.

Not a single person has noticed, but they have made comments about how I stopped going to lunch or how I'm "no longer a man" because I won't eat a steak with them.

The depression is getting bad.

Would you be less of am man if you no longer drank and got into bar fights? No, you'd just be sober and smarter. So now you're just thinner and healthier. It has nothing at all to do with "being a man", except to some guy who is overly worried about his own manhood. And by the way, in a few more weeks you'll be eating steak again just fine. Whew! It'll be nice to grow back your.... HAH! Stay confident. As the weight comes off you'll start feeling better about yourself and those other jerks will be jealous. Okay, since you're 3.5 weeks out here's what you need to know.....

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

Just over a month from my surgery date and I've been up and down, but as of today I have a net loss of 9 pounds.

If this was any other sort of diet, this would be the point I would quit and proceed to get on every website I could find and tell everyone that it's snake oil.

So far all I've really lost is

My ability to enjoy dinner with my kids

My ability to enjoy lunch with co workers

My ability to enjoy a nice frozen margarita

And any other real expectations I had for a "normal" life.

This sucks.

@@faxxy you need to take a couple of steps back and look at the big picture.

You seem to be fixating on small things in the near future.

A month or two from now this period of time will be just a memory.

You will eat steak and have a margarita again. Please just try to relax and think longer term.

I have no reason to lie to you about this :P:)

Six weeks post op today.

I'm down a whopping 13 pounds.

Not the 20 pounds a month I was told to expect, but it's something.

My quality of life has gone down in some ways, but my golf game has improved.

Not positive I'd do it again. I think I could have paid a personal trainer for a long time for what I spent on surgery and still lived like a human. Oh well.

I lost 42 lbs in the 6 months prior to surgery on March 24, 2015. I saw my surgeon 2 weeks after surgery and he set a goal of 35 lbs by my next visit in 3 months. This is now mid May and I've only lost 9 lbs since surgery. I've been stuck now for weeks and I'm so disappointed. Im logging myfitnesspal everyday, im going to the gym everyday, I don't get it! The only thing I can think of is I'm eating sugar free foods and I've suspected in recent years that sugar substitutes prevented me from losing weight. Any ideas?

Have you tested your theory by cutting out the sugar free stuff?