Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everybody - I am almost three months and 80 pounds out and have an unusual question. I feel like I have lost my taste for food. I am sampling a lot of the food I used to love and they all taste blah. I eat my Protein but do not really enjoy it. Last night we celebrated St Pat's day and had one bite of the corned beef - where as before I would have eaten the whole thing. Has anybody else experianced this?

Yes, my tastes for a lot of foods have changed. For me this is good news as I eat to live now instead of live to eat. I have noticed as time has gone on that some of the foods I had in the first couple of months now taste good to me but it is a small list.

It seems all the things that are bad for me, taste bad. I believe it has a lot to do with what you eat most of. When I am hungry or need to eat, I look forward to fish, chicken, turkey, beef and vegetables and some fruits. I used to hate yogurt now I love it and eat it for Breakfast almost every day. I love cheese and lunch meat. I don't eat bread, Pasta or sweets. I just don't like how they taste. I will eat a forkful of rice or potatoes once or twice a week but mostly I cooks a Protein and vegetables for my meals and that is always what I look forward to.

When I am with others and they want to go out to eat, I cringe. I hate fast food now. It feels like wasted calories that I don't need. For some reason my tummy does not tolerate too much lettuce so salads are not something I can eat.

Anyway, tastes keep changing and I do think it gets better over time.

My food palette is so much smaller... I can't stand most food. St paddy's day meal used to be my favorite, I was gagging while cookin it for the family and didn't eat a single bite. Right now the only food I can eat without feeling nauseous is fresh mozzarella, black olives, pickles, garlic hummus and triscuts - I still use unflavored Protein powder in my crystal lite and eat 1 sometimes 2 Protein Bars per day. Even yogurts are tasting too sweet. It's VERY depressing. Flip side - im steadily losing weight (down 30lbs since surgery 8 weeks ago) and am rarely hungry.

It's common, and you just have to find a happy medium. Your tastes will

Change on the turn of a dime, and from what I've been told in due time you will enjoy foods again :)

help I'm 7 weeks out and can't eat anything all foods stink and cant hold anything in. I am on nausea meds 1 sip of Water every half hour. greek yogurt and cottage cheese cant even drink the Protein Shakes at all

Hi MsJoy. I have heard a few of the people that I had in my group had the same problem. Each of them went back to the doctor to make sure there was nothing wrong and that the pouch was not leaking. Although all of them were ok I would recommend that too. Otherwise all food tastes terrible and I understand not liking the shakes but you really need the liquid and the nutrients to help the healng process. I know I switched from the Carnation with added Protein to a drink called Premier Protien from costco. I like it a lot more and it has 30 g if Protein. I put in one scoop of the Bene-protien and that takes it to 36g.

food still tastes bad to me and I detest the texture of the food after I chew it a million times. BUT I am 16 weeks out and I have lost 100 pounds. I walk at least 5 miles a day, do weights and my life is SO much better. When you find something that you can tolerate to eat and feel better I know you will be happier. I used to hate it when everyboy told me it would get better but it does and the bebefits of the lost weight are great.