Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Days post-op and all is well!

Well it's been nearly a week since my surgery (Oct 23), and I've probably experienced every and any emotion that you can imagine in the last 6 days. My very first thought upon waking from anesthesia in the recovery room was "OH MY GOD WHAT THE H*LL HAVE I DONE?" I was in so much pain, and was so nauseous I was freaking miserable. The doctor was all chipper saying how everything had gone perfectly, and he was very pleased with it all. I was torn between begging for unconsciousness, and literally attempting to strangle my very HOT looking surgeon. I give the medical team all the kudos in the world, they really did try to deal with my pain and nausea, but sadly just hearing someone walk near me, open my eyes, or even blink my eyes had me vomiting all over again. They were putting all kinds of meds into my IV's but nothing was really helping. The first couple of hours after the surgery were truly the worst. However, in all honesty that time period after any procedure really sucks.

Unfortunately for me the nausea/vomiting didn't get any better until Saturday (3rd day post-op). Although it still hits me from time to time. I threw up again this morning, but this bout only lasted a few minutes, and I've been fine the rest of the day. I think today's bout was due to the new medication my surgeon added to my normal regime. He has put me on prescription strength antacid twice a day for six months, and also a medication called Ursodiol twice a day for six months. The second one is to help prevent the formation of gall stones, but the description given with the info pack from the pharmacy says "this medicine is a bile acid naturally found in the body". That pretty much says it all. 1) the pill is enormous and 2) it tastes and smells just like bile. LOVELY!!!! Needless to say I'm fairly certain that was what caused this morning vomit-fest.

On to the good stuff. Although my belly (incision sites) and my insides are still quite tender and painful, I feel good, really good. I already notice a big jump in my energy and alertness level. My body still hurts enough that I have to take it easy, but once it's on board I am eager to test it all out. I went out this evening. My husband bowls in a league on Wednesday nights, so I went with him to watch. I had to wear my pajamas because pants are a bit much for my incisions at the moment, but who cares. I got out of the house, and was able to talk to REAL people for almost 3 hours. YAY ME!!!!!

As for the rest of it. I'm really struggling with the Protein shakes. My stomach is not tolerating any of them at the moment. I've tried every single one I bought. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (all flavors and the unflavored as well), Isopure Zero Carb (clear ones the resemble Kool-aid) and the EAS Carb Control in chocolate and vanilla. I'm able to sip about 4-6 times (except the Isopure, one sip and it came right back up) and then no more will go down, and my stomach feels really queasy, and it grumbles and gurgles until it finally gets rid of it, either up or down. I'm not sure what the problem is here. I'll have to talk to the doctor on Friday. For now I'm using Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added) with Skim Plus milk, and they are giving me about 17grams of Protein. I've also moved up the time frame for the Greek yogurt and other stuff. (Doctor said wait a week before adding those). I really didn't feel like I had a choice as I was averaging about 5-10 grams a day instead of 60-70grams. I'm tolerating what I’m doing at the moment. I feel good, it stays down and my protein intake is much better than it was.

The biggest surprise to me so far as been how quickly I'm filling up, and how little it takes. It was sort of a problem at first. I'm supposed to start the day with a shake, but I have meds to take first. I have 8 pills and three Vitamins to take in the morning. It takes me over an hour to get them all down. I can only take one at a time, and by the time I ingest the Fluid to swallow that pill, my stomach is too full to accept anymore. I have to wait at least 5-10 minutes before taking the next. By the time all the pills are down, I am far too full to be able to drink any protein, I barely have space enough for my own saliva. Takes another hour or two to get to the point I can drink my protein. This goes on all day long. It takes me about an hour to consume a 1/2 cup of anything (longer if it's something substantial like yogurt or soup). Nighttime is a repeat of the morning except I have even more pills and supplements to take. I'm hoping that maybe I'll be able to stop some of these meds, but for now I'm dealing with it. I think it's kind of funny actually. I sit here and remember eating McDonald's dinner, either a Big Mac Meal (large of course, with soda) or a two cheeseburger meal (large with a soda, if I wasn't that hungry) let's not forget the 10 piece mcnugget I "ordered for the dog" and the two apple pies for dessert. Then of course I would probably end the evening with a pint of Ben & Jerry's, maybe some chocolate or other garbage food. It's sad really, but I never thought twice about eating that junk, usually at least 2-3 per week. I made maybe meal per week at home (by making I'm referring to some sort of prepared food, like TV dinners, potpies, frozen fries and hot dogs, nothing at all healthy here) The rest of the week was some sort of fast food, or take out. It's no wonder my body is in it's current condition. I find laughable to even consider being able to eat any of that, let alone all of it.

Well I've kind of gone off on a tangent here, sorry about that. I'm tired and rambling. I just wanted to share some of what I've gone through, and a couple of realizations I've had. I'll write again, more coherently next time. Have a great night All!

Jeeeez sounds like a rough start! I'm sorry to hear all of that but at least you're doing better and I'm sure things will get better soon as well! I hope your doctor is able to explain what's going on with your stomach not being able to hold it down. Which surgery did you have? It kinda sounds like what sometimes happens with bypass patients. My mom had that same thing happened to her with her bypass. I haven't heard much of that happening with sleeve patients though. Hope you're feeling better! :)

Kelseycakes, I did have the sleeve. From what the staff at the hospital said, it's not unheard of to have the kind of nausea I've had. I've been trying ignore the articles that says it can go on for months. I'm being optimistic about that, especially since I'm already feeling 100% better than before. If I get it every once in a awhile, I can deal. Thanks!!!!

I had my surgery the same day as you. Only stayed in the hospital 1 day. The doc and staff pretty much convinced me that I was doing so good I could go home. In actuality I was doing ok. No vomiting, no nausea, and fluids were getting down good (despite the pain when eating). So I took their advice and went home. Ugh I wish I would have stayed two more days. I really could have used the rest. Going home means returning to everyday life and really your not ready for that. Thank goodness though my mother came in town and helped me out quite a bit. The first few days I did. It want to drink smoothies or the nasty Protein Soup. I just wanted Water, but each day got better. I'm really ready for some real flavor in my life. I'm so torn because my doc says liquids two week but then you read about other people saying there doc sent them home on purée already or at least by the second week. Then there is the extreme where some are on liquids almost three weeks. I've learned recently though that it must depend on on what you can handle because I liked a spoon that had Greek yogurt on it and my stomach was not feeling it. too each his own I guess.

Oh one last thing. I feel regrets too. First it was because of pain but now I'm remembering all the good food I used to stuff down my throat with ease and the great feeling that comes with it. Also feeling regrets because of what I've done to my body. My stomach I've had since birth cut in half....well more then in half. I sit and think how permanent it is and how I feel like I've mutilated myself and I am no different then these crazy stupid celebrities who nip and tuck and cut away. But then I remember I had a real problem and a real addiction. Also being that I am a bible reader I think of Matthew 5:30 where it says if your hand makes you stumble cut it off. Now ofcourse Jesus did not mean literally but he was showing the extnt in which we should stop doing something such as stealing. So it was metaphoric or poetic. Well me personally I did to ahead and literally cut off my stomach but it makes me feel like a failure but at least now my food intake will be controlled which is something I had a big problem with.