Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If your brake lights stop working

I hope someone finds this information useful.

Yesterday, on my way home from after a long day of work, a gentleman in a pickup truck pulled along side and got my attention. He said he almost hit me because my brake lights weren't working.

Got home and with my husband's help, found out--yes my brake lights weren't working. My turn signals and running lights were working.

My first thought was a fuse. Dug out the owner's manual from the glove box and found the fuse. Fuse appeared to be OK.

Drove to Lavernia, small South Texas town and found all automotive places closed. Drove to closest larger town, Floresville and went to auto parts store. Even though they were very busy, the nice gentleman explained that if your turn signals and running lights are working--probably not the fuse but the bulb. He said even if just one goes out--often they both won't work.

He showed me how to get the light fixtures off and I used their screw driver to do so. He had the bulbs in stock and suggested "bulb grease" to prevent it from happening again. It's just a little inexpensive packet of grease that you put on the ends of the bulbs before you install them. He even applied the bulb grease and put the new bulbs in for me. I put the light fixtures back on and all is well.

Just wanted to let everyone know if your brake lights don't work but your turn signals and everything else works--could be your bulbs. Glad to have them working again! We're actually going to get a rare meteorological event in South Texas today--RAIN.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd

It sounds like the mechanic was on target. Sometimes its hard to realize that your brake lights have gone out. It can quickly cause an accident, especially when the driver behind you is driving too close.

I am always glad when it's a simple fix and not something rediculously expensive.

OK -- so just as a warning -- I live in NJ and it's been reported around here before that sometimes people will pull up to you to pretend to warn you about lights being out, etc., and then they carjack you. So, always be careful when something like this happens. Glad in your case it was actually someone being helpful!

Isn't that funny, I read the post and thought about robbery and car- jacking too! I think Texas must be a wonderful place where you feel safe!

I lived in Texas several decades ago. I found the people to be some of the most friendly people in the United States and I have lived in many states. The other item worth noting, many people routinely carry guns in their glove compartments. I suspect this feature helps to make the state one of the safest.

Like anywhere else, a lot of Texas is a safe and friendly state. It's just so much bigger--maybe that's the difference-more real estate to be safe and friendly?

Yes, people do exercise their second amendment right and there's lots of country where you might need a fire-arm to deal with varmints--the animal type not necessarily human kind ;) .

People often actually pull onto a paved shoulder to let you pass if are wanting to go faster.

Of course I've come across some Texas UN-friendly drivers :angry:

as well as the Texas Friendly ones! :)

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd