Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the last few weeks my Hypoglycemia is acting up. I have had no problem with it since I started this journey. It seems to have triggered by exercise...See I always new exercise was wrong ;) I don't want to start eating every 2 hours....That would be hard for me...

What have others done to control this beast?

Maybe you need to have a light snack before you exercise. Probably something with a few more carbs like fruit or a Protein Bar.

Maybe you need to have a light snack before you exercise. Probably something with a few more carbs like fruit or a Protein bar.

I have been doing that. Half of a Lara-bar before and 1/2 after. But now I am getting it even when I am not exercising. Just a regular day. i wonder what I am doing to cause the return of this!

I have it had it for 15 years now. When I exercise it gets horrible. Nut said my light string cheese paired with 6 cashews was perfect to balance and pick up the bsl fast. Its got Protein, Fiber plus some fat all in one.

I would have to snack on those 2 things several times a day before. Eating something small every 2 hours was (and is the only way according to my nut) the only way for me to keep the bs levels even. Mine regularly run in the 60's.

Edited by gomekast

I have it had it for 15 years now. When I exercise it gets horrible. Nut said my light string cheese paired with 6 cashews was perfect to balance and pick up the bsl fast. Its got Protein, Fiber plus some fat all in one.

i have been eating a piece of cheese when it happens. It does seem to bring it around some. i don't know why it has started up again. Never acted up in over 17 months. Why now?!

Its the exercise. I quit most of mine and no issues since. I'm going to ask this week when I go in for my 6 month check up. I'll report back what if anythibg they tell me.

Add in a couple nuts with the cheese and youll feel the balance within minutes.

Its the exercise. I quit most of mine and no issues since. I'm going to ask this week when I go in for my 6 month check up. I'll report back what if anythibg they tell me.

I have to exercise because of my complications with the sleeve surgery I lost all my muscle mass. My trainer is working with me to regain them. I only exercise 2 times a week so far. But in April he is upping the anti and going to get me to work out 3 or 4 times a week.

So I have to exercise.

Looking forward to hearing what they have to say. And thanks!

And for the record, fruit will make it worse for a lot of people with hypoglycemia. I avoid it in general due to it. Any fruit is too high in natural sugars and I will crash hard and fast from it.

Rj, if its acting up I would just add little cheese and a couple nuts in mid morning and mid afternoon. Those are the times our bodies will feel it the most for some reason.

The nut did tell me that she has seen a few sleevers get hypoglycemia post op at different times. Its not common but it happens.

And for the record, fruit will make it worse for a lot of people with hypoglycemia. I avoid it in general due to it. Any fruit is too high in natural sugars and I will crash hard and fast from it.

Rj, if its acting up I would just add little cheese and a couple nuts in mid morning and mid afternoon. Those are the times our bodies will feel it the most for some reason.

The nut did tell me that she has seen a few sleevers get hypoglycemia post op at different times. Its not common but it happens.

I have been eating fruit as my night snack lately where I was eating a 1/4 cup of nuts. I am trying to get the last few pounds off I guess and switched gears. This seems to be when it started. Maybe I will go back to the nuts at bedtime. It is after Breakfast when it hits me and in the evening mostly. :(

I have been eating fruit as my night snack lately where I was eating a 1/4 cup of nuts. I am trying to get the last few pounds off I guess and switched gears. This seems to be when it started. Maybe I will go back to the nuts at bedtime. It is after Breakfast when it hits me and in the evening mostly. :(

Yes, she said mid morning and mid afternoon were the typical times it will hit. But not always. I have felt it at night too, and will have a few nuts or a scoop of my fruit flavored Protein powder. I've actually been sipping on a bottle of flavored Water with a scoop of Syntrax fuzzy navel Protein Powder added to it every night after dinner. I finish the bulk of it right before bedtime so that I dont get the middle of the night crash and sweats etc that the hypogly can cause.

Keep your exercise going for sure, but cut the fruit and add the nuts back in. Im fairly sure you'll feel much better.

I rarely eat fruit, working out or not. It is another one of my triggers that causes the hypogl in the first place.

Yes, she said mid morning and mid afternoon were the typical times it will hit. But not always. I have felt it at night too, and will have a few nuts or a scoop of my fruit flavored Protein powder. I've actually been sipping on a bottle of flavored Water with a scoop of Syntrax fuzzy navel Protein Powder added to it every night after dinner. I finish the bulk of it right before bedtime so that I dont get the middle of the night crash and sweats etc that the hypogly can cause.

Keep your exercise going for sure, but cut the fruit and add the nuts back in. Im fairly sure you'll feel much better.

I rarely eat fruit, working out or not. It is another one of my triggers that causes the hypogl in the first place.

I like the Syntrax fuzzy navel Protein Drink too. But I find if I drink too much of that I get an attack from the artificial sugar..Can't win. Will add the nuts back and hope it gets back under control. I had a plan and the plan didn't work. So be it...Slow and steady wins the race anyway I say! :)

I like the Syntrax fuzzy navel Protein drink too. But I find if I drink too much of that I get an attack from the artificial sugar..Can't win. Will add the nuts back and hope it gets back under control. I had a plan and the plan didn't work. So be it...Slow and steady wins the race anyway I say! :)

You got it! I've figured out that things change pretty fast with my eating and what works versus not. So I've really had to watch everything and track it all.

What happens when you have the attacks from the fake sugars??

I like the Syntrax fuzzy navel Protein drink too. But I find if I drink too much of that I get an attack from the artificial sugar..Can't win. Will add the nuts back and hope it gets back under control. I had a plan and the plan didn't work. So be it...Slow and steady wins the race anyway I say! :)

You got it! I've figured out that things change pretty fast with my eating and what works versus not. So I've really had to watch everything and track it all.

What happens when you have the attacks from the fake sugars??

As long as I can remember I have been allergic to Aspartame. I would get dizzy, weak, shaky and my blood sugar would plummet and I would faint. So I have always been careful not to use anything that has that in it.

Now I use sucrose and it has started lately to treat me the same way. I had a couple episodes in the supermarket and my hubby grabbed a bag of almonds and made me eat some and it helped. I wonder if now this is starting to form an allergy as well.

I fear these bouts and will give up any artificial sweetener if this is the problem. i just like having a cup of cocoa now and then you know. Something different. But there seems to be an allergy forming again!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

fat and fiber help to stabilize blood sugar levels. the best way to figure out what is going on is to take lots of BGL readings with a glucometer. first thing in the morning, right before you eat, 15 minutes after you eat, then 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours after you eat. for you, add in before and after you exercise. if you then track what you eat (and the type and duration of your exercise) you will then know how food and exercise are affecting you and you can adjust accordingly. many people find adding in fiber and good fats to their diet help stabilize things. others find they need more low GI carbs or better hydration. the only way to know though is to test and experiment. good luck!