Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Out So Much Pain & Other Stuff

I am 4 days out (surgery was wednesday) from having my revision from lap band to bypass. I had this all planned out in my mind as going perfectly. Im one to bounce back fast and this has been anything but. To be honest, im pretty scared and emotional. The surgery itself i've been told went pretty well. There was a lot of scarring inside from the band. He left a drainage tube in place which I know is pretty routine. I wasn't getting much comfort from pain medication at all. My oxygen levels kept going down which im sure was due to the pain. The doctor sent me home Friday towards evening with oxygen and pain meds. Through the evening and into the night it just got worse and worse. Around 930am I finally couldn't take it anymore.I was shaking crying and hurting so badly. He had me come back to the hospital. He thought maybe I had gotten dehydrated. Im sure that is possible. How are you supposed to keep up on the Fluid intake while you are resting? Finally around 6pm the Dr gets back to my room and decides he is going to take out the drainage tube. That was a large relief from pain. My oxygen stats increased, but im still in a decent bit of pain. So now I am the evening of the 4th day. I've taken meds to keep me from getting sick twice. I made sure to get my Vitamins in. Im trying hard to get the 2oz of liquids every 30 minutes in but im struggling. And the pain just wont subside much. Im a complete emotional mess. Im worried about having panic attacks and making things worse. I did this to improve my health and right now I feel like i've made the biggest mistake of my life. I know I can't be the only one feeling like this. I want to know there is light at the end of this tunnel. Any suggestions you can give to help the pain, get my fluids down, not become an emotional mess, anything really. I would appreciate it.

Reading your post has touched my heart! I wish I had words of wisdom but I haven't had my surgery yet. But I can tell you, you have done this for you and your health and this is just a phase in the journey. Be strong, stay positive, and do what you can. :-)

I am 4 days out (surgery was wednesday) from having my revision from lap band to bypass. I had this all planned out in my mind as going perfectly. Im one to bounce back fast and this has been anything but. To be honest, im pretty scared and emotional. The surgery itself i've been told went pretty well. There was a lot of scarring inside from the band. He left a drainage tube in place which I know is pretty routine. I wasn't getting much comfort from pain medication at all. My oxygen levels kept going down which im sure was due to the pain. The doctor sent me home Friday towards evening with oxygen and pain meds. Through the evening and into the night it just got worse and worse. Around 930am I finally couldn't take it anymore.I was shaking crying and hurting so badly. He had me come back to the hospital. He thought maybe I had gotten dehydrated. Im sure that is possible. How are you supposed to keep up on the Fluid intake while you are resting? Finally around 6pm the Dr gets back to my room and decides he is going to take out the drainage tube. That was a large relief from pain. My oxygen stats increased, but im still in a decent bit of pain. So now I am the evening of the 4th day. I've taken meds to keep me from getting sick twice. I made sure to get my Vitamins in. Im trying hard to get the 2oz of liquids every 30 minutes in but im struggling. And the pain just wont subside much. Im a complete emotional mess. Im worried about having panic attacks and making things worse. I did this to improve my health and right now I feel like i've made the biggest mistake of my life. I know I can't be the only one feeling like this. I want to know there is light at the end of this tunnel. Any suggestions you can give to help the pain, get my fluids down, not become an emotional mess, anything really. I would appreciate it.

Try using ice packs for your pain & as ally after day 7/8 you should begin feeding/moving around better.

The first few days were rough for me too. It gets better!! I swear!!

I would like to know why the heck are you taking Vitamins this early.

Your pouch is to new to be able to handle those.

My team of doctors have you wait two weeks till they start you on vitamins because they feel that's the amount of time the new pouch needs to heal to do so.

This my opinion that maybe this one of the reasons your in pain.

Also Popsicles is another way to get some Fluid in you. Not as good as Water but it helps a little.

Make sure they are sugar free.< /p>

I think this shall get better for you and the pain will subside.

Once again if some doesn't feel right don't hesitate to ask questions about it.

That's what you should always do to your doctor or nutritionist.

Good luck and feel better.

Sorry you are uncomfortable. My doctor also said no Vitamins for 2-4 weeks until I was cleared. Maybe ask what yours recommends?

I hope things are better :)

The Multivitamins, B12 & Calcium are all available in chewable forms. I was told to start mine before surgery, which is April 8th. None of you should be going without the Vitamins for any length of time.... You need to get the chewable form.

The multivitamins, B12 & Calcium are all available in chewable forms. I was told to start mine before surgery, which is April 8th. None of you should be going without the Vitamins for any length of time.... You need to get the chewable form.

My surgeon and nutritionist told me no vitamins until one week post op... So funny how all our doctors give different instructions on pre-surgery weight loss, use of Protein Shakes, vitamins. Etc....

Reading your first post made me very emotional, because I feel your pain; I'm 3 days out, had surgery on the 26, and feel absolutely horrible, If I hadn't had surgery I would think I have the flu. Aches, chills, nausea, having difficulty keeping anything down, have only been able to get about 8 oz. of Water down. My doctors office says this is normal but it doesn't feel normal, like you I worked so hard to get to this point and last night I told my husband that I wished I had never had the surgery, I was so strong before the surgery ready for anything, now I feel weak. Anyone else post-op feel this way and how long before the nausea subsides? and you feel somewhat normal?

Reading your first post made me very emotional, because I feel your pain; I'm 3 days out, had surgery on the 26, and feel absolutely horrible, If I hadn't had surgery I would think I have the flu. Aches, chills, nausea, having difficulty keeping anything down, have only been able to get about 8 oz. of Water down. My doctors office says this is normal but it doesn't feel normal, like you I worked so hard to get to this point and last night I told my husband that I wished I had never had the surgery, I was so strong before the surgery ready for anything, now I feel weak. Anyone else post-op feel this way and how long before the nausea subsides? and you feel somewhat normal?

Within 2wks you will feel lots better I promise, use ice for pain @ incision areas along w/meds ok..

Reading your first post made me very emotional, because I feel your pain;   I'm 3 days out, had surgery on the 26, and feel absolutely horrible, If I hadn't had surgery I would think I have the flu.  Aches, chills, nausea, having difficulty keeping anything down, have only been able to get about 8 oz. of Water down.  My doctors office says this is normal but it doesn't feel normal, like you I worked so hard to get to this point and last night I told my    husband that I wished I had never had the surgery, I was so strong before the surgery ready for anything, now I feel weak.  Anyone else post-op feel this way and how long before the    nausea subsides? and you feel somewhat normal?

stay positive, things will change - hugs

All I can say is keep up the good job a lot of us here has had some or all of the same problems. Try and move as much as possible it hurts like hell but it also helps blood flow which helps healing. God Bless!

Try taking pain meds with a protien shake or blended/strained Soup. Pain meds made me nauseated too. Also, does your doctor have you on an anti-heartburn med? Mine put me on omeprazole but I got it switched to protonix.. It coats the stomach pouch better and helped a LOT with the nausea.