Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starving! (Bandster Hell)

I was wondering how you guys were doing? I'm 6 weeks post op and definitely in Bandster Hell. I had my first fill this past Friday. She said she put in 4.8 cc's. I was hoping for wonderful (so to speak) restriction. I'm starving after 1-2 hours of eating. It's not lasting long at all and therefore I feel the need to snack all day. I'll bring Snacks to work such as the babybel cheese, yogurt, or even nuts. I'm just starving and nothing is working. I finally gave in and went to the vending machine at work. Are you guys going through this? Is the band working better for you? I've lost about 14 lbs post op in 6 weeks, so that's not too bad and I'm decently happy with it, but I'm just frustrated with the hunger. I want chips, chocolate, and whatever. Oh I am drinking a decent amount of Water - not my full goal, but quite a bit (with black tea and black coffee too to add to my fluids), but I just feel frustrated.

I'm coming up on 6 weeks postop. I know how you feel. I got my first fill last Tuesday and strangely, I feel I have less restriction than I did before the fill. Still, I really watch my portions.

I have found that the cravings that hadn't haunted me since surgery are starting to come back. Like wanting something sweet. Or thinking that Arby's sounds really good. Thankfully, my husband changed his eating habits along with me and it helps to keep me on track. That and MyFitnessPal app.

It takes a lot of self control. Just try to find healthy Snacks to munch on until you get more fills to help you stay satisfied.

Best wishes!

I'm still doing my best to log everything into mfp. So today I ate 1700 calories :(. I'm so disappointed in myself. Today wasn't the only binge day. I was doing so well for so long, but my will power only lasts so long. My office is within walking distance to Dunkin Donuts. All day I was craving ooey gooey chocolatey goodness. I never really crave donuts. In the 10 years I've worked at my office, I might have only gotten a donut maybe twice?? That was all I could think about today. I did succumb to the vending machine and picked a snickers to hope the peanuts would have some Protein to keep me feeling full longer.

Oh - I've also been bringing beef Jerky to try to have Protein to snack on throughout the day. Some of the chocolate cravings could be due to nearing the TOM, but it's worse than that. lol.

I'm glad that I'm not alone. Sorry you're suffering too. It's a weird mix for me... I feel a bit more restriction in quantity at once but I feel outright starving tummy growling really shortly after eating. I'm trying to keep with the smaller portions, so I'm not sure if that's part of the problem too but I don't want to stretch out my pouch.

I don't know your weights, but 1700 calories is great! For my height and weight it says I should eat 1700 to lose 1-2 pounds per week.

One night I took a banana, spread 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter on it, then dumped a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding on top. Ate every bit. 355 calories. It helped get rid of my sweet tooth for a while.

And definitely, that TOM will get ya.

OOOh that does sound delicious. For my weight, mfp states I should be about 1200 to lose the 2 lbs per week. My surgeon per the diet plan actually has it written down to stay closer to 800-1000! I find that impossibly unrealistic right now.

When are you scheduled for your second fill?

MFB tells you to eat 1700 calories a day?? What does your Dr. and/or NUT say you should be consuming, being a WLS patient...

Hi, I'm 9 weeks out and have lost 39lbs. Happy with the weight loss, but absolutely starving. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago. Feels like it hasn't done a thing. I'm very careful about weighing and measuring, but it's tough. I've upped my Protein to 80 or 90 grams. Upped my Water to 96oz's. Don't go for my next fill til march 3rd.(Going on vacation). I'm in bandster hell also. Good Luck & Stay Strong!!!

head hunger is really a hard thing to combat. even when your band is getting filled. your band will only do so much. have good Protein bars or Snacks that are less than 110 calories. make them chocolate if you need to. have a banana and Peanut Butter. STAY AWAY FROM THE VENDING MACHINE! and dunkin donuts. even when you reach the green zone you will have to deal with head hunger. you have to decide now that it is more important to control your brain than to have it control you. only some ppl have complete non eating issues with hunger, in fact i only know of one on this site. baking chocolate is only 1/2 the sugar as regular chocolate. melted with some nuts for Protein and a piece or 2 of that will be better for you than a snicker bar, my favorite candy bar by the way.which is full of butter fat and sugar. have cottage cheese with fruit or tomatoes. have a greek yogurt. have a smoothie. watch how much you drink of the smoothie. satisfy your hunger but be creative and keep it as healthy as you can. enjoy your foods but a snack should only be 110 and less twice a day. eat more protein at your meal times. add a bit of fat to your meals to help keep you satisfied afterwards. i can only type this because i deal with hunger too! gained 3 lbs last month. so even though i am getting close to the green zone i still deal with hunger. but i have made a vow that i will win this battle. you need to say that to yourself too.

When are you scheduled for your second fill?

Four weeks from today. But, I'm losing weight through diet and exercise so I never know if he'll want to give me a fill.

MFB tells you to eat 1700 calories day?? What does your Dr. and/or NUT say you should be consuming, being a WLS patient...

Even though it says 1700 I eat more like 900 to 1200. Plus I exercise. This is where I differ from my surgeon. I asked him one day how much I should be eating portion wise and he said, "I don't care how much you eat as long as you're losing 1-2 pounds per week." I just can't do that. I still watch my portions and I'm losing at a good rate. As far as a nutritionist, haven't seen one since pre op education at the beginning of December. The hubby and I are eating super healthy. I definitely feel like I'm on my own. I plan on next time I go, having a serious conversation with him about this. I can lose the weight. I've done it before. I need the band to help me keep it off.

My opinion....I do not rust these apps like MFP, etc...one the best things I ever did was stop using them...they do not take in consideration people with severe issues requiring WLS.....

My Dr. did not hold me to any diet either...just eat ONLY when I'm hungry...which is rarely, and eat the best, most nutritious foods I possibly can...adapt to a new habit to last the rest of my life....

Three years in, and I still have no idea how many calories I eat per day....but I have zero complaints....

Since I'm still so relatively new to watching Protein, that's why I still like and use mfp. I don't quite follow their guidelines but it's great on days like yesterday to make sure I'm not eating too big of a portion and to certify I'm getting protein. Yesterday with all my snacking and cravings I consumed 137 g of protein (and I didn't even have a protein shake). I don't always get that much protein.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Today is a new day. I woke up hungry again but hopefully it won't consume me. I know my stress level at work has picked up and that might be part of my triggers. I'm physically hearing/feeling my stomach growl so I'm really confused about the physical vs head hunger :(

I've been trying to do 1,000 calories daily but I prolly get in about 1200. I think I'm in bandster hell! In the last 4 weeks since I've introduced regular food I've only lost 3 lbs. I've got 4cc in my band.

I try to keep my intake under 1000 - it's usually 800-1000, sometimes I go over a little. I love nuts and that is what usually puts me over just a little, because they are high in calories but also high in Protein. I've had one fill since being banded on 9/13. I too have been through the starving phases, but maybe try to up the protein and you should feel better :)