Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No carbs ever ? Help

Opinions please. My Dr and dietician are very very very anti carb no bread ever no Pasta ever. I can understand but I'm not sure that I can sustain that forever. I found flax seed pitas. 8 carbs 6 Protein. I thought oh yay. They said nope!!! I'm curious it what other doctors say. ( they are also against Protein Drinks which is great I eat high protein Which is easy). Oh I'm 7 weeks out 31 lbs down (since surgery) (43 total) 33 lbs to Go!!!!

Look at it this way...Follow your nuts rules but remember this: Protein first, then veggies, then fruit and last but not least carbs..

Protein is the back bone of weight loss and now more then ever there are researchers out there that are really putting the car-bosh on carbs.

Me I eat them, but I always strive to put the protein in first...Carbs can be sliders for us and have the ability to fill us up fast without the dense feeling of being full....

You're really early out, so I suggest following their plan as best you can. During weight loss phase I ate very few carbs and my dietician and surgeon are also pretty low carb believers. In fact I'm sure if they knew how many carbs I eat in maintenance they would tell me to cut back. But my body is still trying to lose, and although I never intended to cut carbs out forever, I do choose very healthy carbs. They also tell me that most of their patients maintain on 1000-1200 calories a day. This isn't true for me. I'm still very slowly losing at 1500 calories. So you just have to take what they say with a grain of salt and find what works for your body. I average 130ish carbs a day right now. But like I said, you're extremely early out, follow their plan entirely.

Thank you so much I have really been very careful about following the rules. I feel mostly good but have had issues with bladder infections and being able to keep Vitamins down. I have the vitamins solved I believe ( my memory was awful) I just am now starting to question my strength further along in my journey. No starchy carbs ever. Seriously is a scary thought I kinda miss bread, but I have gone 7 weeks without it and didn't die lol.

I have always failed at "dieting" so now I'm scared I will eat the wrong thing and we all know that is a slippery slope. The past as I am sure most most of us have done: diet , cheat , feel like a failure, so we eat more. I just pray for strength it helps . Thank God for Peanut Butter 2 times a week it makes me so happy . Ok I did eat it 3 times this week because i was sick one day and I treated myself to a half teaspoon lol.

Carbs are one of my pet peeves. Not all carbs are created equal and removing complex carbs from the diet can set a person up for potential problems, including ketosis, memory loss, and issues with muscles and nerves. So many people just say "carbs" and lump them all together.

As a general rule (I used to teach nutrition for preschoolers and low income parents) we tell people to avoid "white" food...white bread, white Pasta, refined sugar, potatoes and so forth. Substitute whole grains for processed white flour, brown rice for white, sweet potatoes for russets...etc. Also, you'll find you won't have the stomach for breads and processed foods anymore.

You might want to have your doctor and dietician clarifiy their definition of "carb." I've seen some even tell patients not to eat fruits and vegetables, which are our major sources of Vitamins you just can't equate by using a Vitamin. Also, it seems that most bariatric patients end up constipated. The fibers in whole grains and produce prevent this; they're also a major deterrent to colorectal cancers and heart disease. I hate to see people lose a lot of weight while compromising their health and nutrition. Aren't we doing this to be healther? LOL! My current favorite meal is cheese, turkey or chicken, apple and whole grain crackers. :)

But I agree, you are in the early stages and should stick with your program.

No worries on carbs. As long as you don't mind fighting constant hunger and always craving food there is no need to limit carbohydrates. If you can figure out how to live on 70 or less carbs per day it is likely you will not have a lot of insulin induced hunger which will help you maintain your loss. The choice is yours. Just like the same choice is mine. It is not easy for anyone.

Opinions please. My Dr and dietician are very very very anti carb no bread ever no Pasta ever. I can understand but I'm not sure that I can sustain that forever. I found flax seed pitas. 8 carbs 6 Protein. I thought oh yay. They said nope!!! I'm curious it what other doctors say. ( they are also against Protein drinks which is great I eat high protein Which is easy). Oh I'm 7 weeks out 31 lbs down (since surgery) (43 total) 33 lbs to Go!!!!

Yeah I'm totally living with the mentality if it's white it ain't right on grains. I haven't had white bread since my kids were little (16 years)I had white rice etc I just switched to wheat bread for some reason. I just had seen other bariatric patients talk about having whole grain breads etc. I plan on following My doctors advice best I can. No breads, no corn, summer squash, potatoes, rice. etc. Y'all know the drill. I was just really curious on what other doctors say on the wheat and whole grain. Like I said I know some doctors are big on Protein drinks and Protein Bars and my doctor is not! So different doctors different plans. I'm doing too well to compromise my success.

Oh my doctor encourages vegetables and only I have to have it one fruit a day with meals. 2 bites Protein One bite veggie. It's a new learning experience and I am so fortunate to have this chance. I was cash pay so my husband is totally in board helping me.

BelindaK hit the nail on the head. My doctor says that our biggest problem with being overweight is portion size. From my own personal experience. This is true. We need to eat healthy this is true, but not all carbs are bad. Your body needs carbs also. You just have to define what is good for you versus whats bad. If you do eat carbs just know that you must exercise because even good carbs can have an impact on weight gain as far as calories

My doctor's office does a nutrition class, separate from our pre-op so they can charge our insurance again, one a month. The nutritionist has told me 3oz. of Protein and one oz. of something else power meal once I am on soft foods, 3 meals and Protein Shakes to get in 90 grams of protein daily plus 90 oz. of Fluid.< /p>

Thank you so much I have really been very careful about following the rules. I feel mostly good but have had issues with bladder infections and being able to keep Vitamins down. I have the Vitamins solved I believe ( my memory was awful) I just am now starting to question my strength further along in my journey. No starchy carbs ever. Seriously is a scary thought I kinda miss bread, but I have gone 7 weeks without it and didn't die lol. I have always failed at "dieting" so now I'm scared I will eat the wrong thing and we all know that is a slippery slope. The past as I am sure most most of us have done: diet , cheat , feel like a failure, so we eat more. I just pray for strength it helps . Thank God for Peanut Butter 2 times a week it makes me so happy . Ok I did eat it 3 times this week because i was sick one day and I treated myself to a half teaspoon lol.

Maybe it's an "Oklahoma" thing!!! Jk I'm an okie and my dr and nut are the same.

April

Ahh the Great Carb Debate...

I agree, not all carbs are created equally. Carbs are not evil, but bad carbs are...bad. I got to 256 pounds because I ate bad carbs and lots of them. Sweets, breads, even bad vegetables (yeah, I'd sit down to a big bowl of sweet corn topped with butter and salt and think I was eating a healthy snack) were my drugs of choice. The more I ate them, the more I wanted them.

I decided (on my own) at about 3 weeks out I was eating too many carbs, so I cut down on them. I cut them to between 20-30 grams per day. I started working out harder that week also. Wow, double whammy to my system and I really started to feel drained. Back came the daily naps and really low energy. I didn't link the two together (the low energy w/ the reduction in carbs) because I thought I was getting sick. A couple of weeks later, the lightbulb appeared over my head!!!! I introduced some foods that were complex carbs (a tablespoon of fat free refried Beans, a 1/4 cup of fruit in my shake, things like that). All of a sudden I felt better at 50 carbs per day. I had more energy. My need for naps is disappearing.

I'm getting in my 80 grams of Protein and 50 grams of carbs fairly consistently now and I feel great. I'm not saying that is your mix - I had to play with the numbers until I found my correct formula.

Stick with the plan you were told to follow. You'll be able to eat carbs again, don't worry, just not a lot of them. But you need to focus on loss and the plan right now, and worry about balancing the carb-protein balance when you're ready to stabilize. I didn't crave them at all. Now, a year out, I try to minimize them, but there are some that are "worth it" to me. A nice small ciabatta roll, or the white rice around some sushi.

I would advise you to take a deep breath and take one day at a time. To worry about NEVER eating carbs at this stage is like putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. I totally understand why surgeons and nutritionists say NO, NO, NO - because they also know who they are dealing with - those of us who overate ALL carbs and probably won't have the willpower at the start to limit them.

It is a process of learning HOW to eat and lose healthily and using Protein to fuel that loss. Yes, once you are at maintenance you can have some carbs, i allow myself some on occasion but I rarely ever just eat bread, potatoes, rice or Pasta except in VERY small amounts and on a RARE occasion.

All "whites" kinda went out the window and I've replaced them with healthy low glycemic carbs, whole wheat Pasta, sweet potatoes, etc.

The other reason as someone stated is that most of those are "sliders" for sleevers and yes, you WILL regain weight or stop loss by indulging in them because there is little or no restriction to them after a while.