Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fabulous Forties

So we had this long discussion at work yesterday about age and and the joys of being in our forties. The 20 and 30 something's (all sweet young whipper snappers that I adore) just couldn't believe that 40 is a good thing. Out of curiosity, what do YOU like about your current age and if you could, would you change it?

I'm 40. I'm happier and more confident with myself than I've ever been (this starts happening pre-op but the surgery has helped). I no longer have drama...If there is drama I let it roll on past me. I think maybe I've figured out what really matters, what does, and what is just icing. Other then the lines starting to show on my face, I wouldn't change 40 at all.

SoccerMomma73 you brought a smile to my face when you wrote "all sweet young whipper snappers that I adore", and I'm thinking to myself those 20 or 30 something's read this they wouldn't know what a whipper snapper is. I know you have read a lot of my post, or can even look at my age, but I am like you. As we grow older, we become wiser, more self confident as we have assessed what we want to gain from life and what we will settle for. We have found our path, our place in life and have become more settled. Thus my sign in name old one young again. People don't believe my age, to me I look my age, but everyone thinks I'm a lot younger. Once I got WLS, I got more energy and felt the age everyone thought I was and I love every minute. So I'm like you I wouldn't change my age for a minute, because it really doesn't matter as it is only a number on a piece of paper. Keep posting enjoy readings what you have to say. Also to another post you made, I think "needy" goes with that gender;>). Just saying.

I agree I am loving my life and believe that now I am at a point in my life were few things bother me anyone, I focus on the important stuff like my health and family, since I have had my surgery I am more active and positive, I even find myself smiling more and trying things that I have not done in years, I am wearing dress again and that is something that have not wore in over 20 years. I actively go to the gym and work out and I dont care because I am meeting new friends at the gym and everything has been positive. My husband, children and family members are my biggest support. Appreciating life and knowing what is important is key. This new surgery has saved my life as well as afforded me the opportunity to love life again.

20 was great, the 30's were decent. I didn't hit my 40th bday like I expected to (my Mom died from cancer a week prior to my "big 40th") .... but I still have to say that the 40s are better. You learn so much by now, you aren't making those stupid mistakes you did in your 20s or 30s.

I have become a stronger person, wiser as well. But now I know what I want from life, which before I thought I did but was too young to really know.

Yup. Yup. And I say Yup again! As much as I loved the carefree post college life, I'm much happier now that I'm firmly settled into my mid-forties. Sure, I might have to color my hair now in denial of the lovely silver that keeps trying to creep through, and the laugh lines get a little deeper each year, but you know what? I'm totally ok with that! I feel happier, more comfortable and prettier than ever, even before WLS- confidence is crazy sexy! :D

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. My 30s were way better than my 20s and my 40s (so far) are way better than my 30s. Things that used to bother me just don't anymore. I am more centered. More grounded. Now if I could just lose that pesky 150 pounds, I'd be golden. Such a nuisance. ????

Around the time my husband turned 40, he announced a decision to start lying about his age. But rather than subtract years, he'd add them. Because he looks pretty good for 40, but amaaaaaazing for 50. And to think, this genius is all mine! ????

The forty+ years have been much better than the 20's and 30's for me too! It is funny how the exact number doesn't seem to matter that much, I for one tend to forget my age, which could either be a good attitude or early dementia. My mom is the only one that is quick to quote the number and has even worked it in to my nephews math practice by telling him that however old he is always add 40 to the number and you'll have Auntie Tam's number. Unfortunately he's good at math. I did turn mom's math example against her when I explained that if he added 60 to his number, he would have grandma's number, and that is way bigger than mine! :P