Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Know This Has Been Discussed Before, But.....

I just read people talking about no fills, or 2 to 5 fills being what gets you to the green zone. I have had like 6 fills and I don't think I am in the green zone yet. I know everyone is different, but reading these things gives me a moment of self doubt....is this not gonna work for me? am I not going to get into the green zone? Ugh. Reassurance needed....

We need to answer a lot of questions to properly address this issue, which is a common one, by the way.

When was your surgery? What is the capacity of your band? How much fill do you have in it now? When was your last fill? Are you losing weight? Are you experiencing physical hunger? Do your meals keep you satisfied (i.e., no physical hunger) for at least 3-4 hours? Are you having any eating problems (PB's, stuck episodes, sliming)? Are you emphasizing solid food and avoiding liquid calories? Have you discussed this with your surgeon and/or dietitian?

Jean

We need to answer a lot of questions to properly address this issue, which is a common one, by the way.

Ditto on what Jean said. Each Dr. fills differently, so the number of times doesn't mean much.

I have the Realize Band at 11ccs, I have a little over 6 ccs in it already. My last fill was Oct 28. I have lost a total of 47lbs including pre surgery weight loss. My surgery was Jan. 28. I am hungry after about 2 hours or so. No problems ie PBs, sliming, stuck. No liquid calories ever. My PA that does fills (whom I LOVE) is very encouraging. He says I am on the right track and we will get there. I just have moments of panic as I read things on here sometimes saying that people are in the green zone with no fills or that the green zone usually comes between fills 2 and 4.

As I was typing my reply I was thinking that...my doctor has always been rather conservative with fills...although twice, knowing that I wasn't having my hunger reduced, he did larger fills of .5 each. It is that sometimes self doubt creeps in, especially when reading other people's experiences with low fills.

I know this is hard advice to follow, but try not to compare yourself to others unless the comparison inspires you. Human beings are so unique - their anatomy, the band's effects on them, the band's effects in the same person over time (or even by the time of the day). Sounds to me like you're doing what you should be doing. It would be nice to cross the finish line first, but you'll cross it eventually!

Oh, and another thing...how fast you lose weight depends on more than just your fill level. Men usually lose weight faster because they have greater muscle mass than women (but we women compensate with greater wisdom). Heavier people of either gender usually lose faster than lighter people because their bodies need more calories just to stay alive. And weight loss slows down for most of us as we get lighter, because we have less to lose and because our bodies are trying to fight the weight loss.

Hang in there!

My doctor filled slow too. I was 7 months out and had my 6th fill before I found the green zone. I was aggressive with my fills and called or emailed within weeks of each fill to speed up the process. If you feel like you're ready for another fill, why not request it now. It will be 2-3 weeks before they get you in but be assertive that you need this?

tmf

Thank you so much Jean for reminding me of what I alreday know (including the fact that women compensate with greater wisdom). A moment of weakness that I knew if I shared would be relieved quicker than if I kept it to myself. I go every month (4 weeks) for fills...my next is scheduled already for a few days before Thanksgiving. :o LOL

Thank you 2muchfun....input like yours is why I joined this site!!! :wub:

I hit a green zone with each fill. But then again I have the old smaller 4cc band. From my understanding it's a world different from the new larger bands out.

Things that contribute to weight loss are also what you're eating- protein/carbs/fat ratio. And exercise: type, frequency, etc. Hormones: are you still having periods?

I'm back in the green zone as of mid-october (fell out of it due to Fluid missing in my band). And I have to say it's slower loosing now because I've herniated discs in my back and had to completely change my exercise routine until I'm healed. So where as before I could loose 5 pounds a week in the green zone- now I'm at 2, maybe 3 a week.

Wow! 132 pounds lost! That is fantastic! I eat right most days....but often it doesn't 'fill' me up like I think it should. A salad with chicken for lunch will still leave me feeling some hunger. I would say lunch is the toughest for me. I do still get my period; more regular now than I have ever been (I am 44). I do exercise. Aerobic exercise in the morning and a half an hour walk most every afternoon. I aim for 1200 calories and eat back most of my exercise calories. My nutritioinist told me to eat 1500 calories, but I set it at 1200 to allow for any overestimates in the exercise allowances...if that makes sense. I am all about slow and steady wins the race. I just get frustrated sometimes because I am still hungry. And like I said, reading people getting in the green zone before they have a fill or within 6, sometimes makes me question myself. Thank you all for the replys...it has helped me get my head around things better!

Not to worry - we all get there at different points. I just had my 9th fill - under fluoroscope this time! What an amazing difference! For 10 months I've lost fairly steadily but never "felt" my band. Now after 3-5 bites I get a feeling in my chest that says YOU ARE DONE! Assuming some of it is still swelling, but I think this May be green for me. Still adjusting to this new feeling!