Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise gadgets

I just wanted to start a thread to see what kind of technology everyone is using to keep track of their exercise routines. I am only one week out of my banding, and haven't got clearance for a full workout yet, but I am going to look like a cyborg when I walk out of the dressing room at the gym.

Here's what I am going to be using.

1. Body Bugg http://www.bodybugg.com- I have been using this for the past several months. It's a little pricey to get started with, but it's a great tool for keeping track of caloried burned both at the gym and during my everyday routine. It connects to the web and updates all my information to my online profile.

2. Nike +iPod- I bought this just before my surgery, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I am excited to use it. By itself, it's basically a step/distance tracker that will also upload your information to your online profile. Itunes has some very interesting workouts that you can download for it though. In addition to upbeat workout music, the download also includes a workout coach. I bought a treadmill workout, and the coach is the lead singer of OK GO, the band that made the really cool video of the band dancing on a treadmill.

3. Polar heart rate monitor- As useful as all of the previous two items are, I still wanted to be able to monitor my heart rate while I'm at the gym. I bought a Polar brand heart rate monitor. They have several different models.

So does anyone else have any techno-gadgets they are using to facilitate their weight loss?

I go to the gym. The treadmill there calculates my target heart rate and keeps me there, and calculates calories burned. I wear my iPod shuffle. nike has some iTunes music for specific workouts. i haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks interesting. I also have a few free weights at home and a wobble board and exercise ball. I have to be careful, though. If I don't watch it, I buy stuff rather than exercising! My Dr said I couldn't do stomach crunches for 3 months, and I was actually happy to start doing them. I like the wieghts....just hard to get myself on that treadmill, even with great tunes.

My eliptical trainer has "ifit" capbilities, and it come with a freebie one, but I don't find myself using it. I hook on a pedometer once in a while to see if I am still hitting my 10,000+ steps a day---but don't do it daily. I know how far I walk each evening, but most of mine comes from running around during the day, and walking outdoors during the daytime hours. I only walk the treadmill (aka dreadmill) when the weather is nasty, or my knee is bothering me on the eliptical. I keep an MP3 in next to the eliptical, and the treadmill, but more often than not, try to do them as I watch TV....or I will read and walk on the treadmill. I just finished listening to "Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep A Secret?" I listened to it, while striding away on the eliptical---anything to keep my mind occupied!!!

I just don't find time to log my exercise in, nor my food in---I spend too much time here, or chasing my grandbabies!!!

Keep up the good work!

Kat