Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bulimic looking at Banding

I have been overweight my entire life. Years ago moderately, lately severely. I have tried every diet under the sun lost and gained ++. Historically, dietting has also included binging and purging to varying degrees of severity. During really bad spells several times a day. During really good times no purging for a couple of months.

When I am not "dietting" I can go for very long periods of time without purging, even if I am overeating.

I have recently committed to being banded on March 12, 2007. My surgeon does not know about my history and there is no way in hell I am telling him and risking him not giving me the surgery. I am tired of being "fat and tired" and I am scared that my diabetes is only going to get worse as I "grow and grow".

Anyways....can anyone provide any insight for me regarding their own struggles with bulimia and being banded. I have been reading a few of the threads and know that purging with the band is a HUGE no no and can be terribly dangerous.

I have recently committed to being banded on March 12, 2007. My surgeon does not know about my history and there is no way in hell I am telling him and risking him not giving me the surgery. I am tired of being "fat and tired" and I am scared that my diabetes is only going to get worse as I "grow and grow".

Anyways....can anyone provide any insight for me regarding their own struggles with bulimia and being banded. I have been reading a few of the threads and know that purging with the band is a HUGE no no and can be terribly dangerous.

I haven't struggled with this problem, but PLEASE re-think telling your doctor. His job isn't to find reasons not to band you, but to make sure that it's done in a way where it will best work for you. It may be that getting some help to deal with the bulimia before banding will work best in the long run, at the very least they need to know your history.

Go to someone and talk about your problem. The band will not help your compulsive behavior. I know! I was anorexic and bulimic from 17-25yrs old. I then became an obsessive overeater when I lost my first baby due to dehydration in my 3rd month of pregnancy. The habits don't end with the band. I have an appointment to see a counselor next week. I refuse to let my bad habits ruin my life. If something would happen to my band tomorrow I would be in the same position I started in. And with my compulsive overeating I could very likely do something to my band soon. Realize that we are not looking for a sensation of "full" its something far different. Good Luck, If you get help before the band it will only enhance the results you will get in the end

I am seeing a counsellor regarding all of my life "issues" including the bulimia. I recognize that the band is not the cure all and intend to continue to work out, see my counsellor, meditate/relaxation exercises and work on my spirituality. the band is the tool that is going to make finally taking control of my eating possible.

When I was doing "herbal magic" i confessed my bulimia too them at a point when I was doing really well controlling it and they kicked me out. I regained the weight that I'd lost and then some. I am not willing to risk telling the surgeon and having the option taken away from me

I did speak with my counsellor about my upcoming surgery. He did not have any reservations.

Has anyone on this board told their Dr. about being Bulimic before being banded?

I know it's not a fun situation, but *if* the surgeon were to take the option away for you, it would be for good cause and your own personal well-being, not because they're mean or trying to hold you back. Afterall, we know it takes a really good reason for a surgeon to pass on a paycheck. :)

I can't answer your question, but I know others have talked about bulemia. Hopefully they will see this thread and share.

Has anyone on this board told their Dr. about being Bulimic before being banded?

Yes, me. I have been working with a therapist for about 12 years but only really stopped the bulimia about three years ago.

Part of the reason I'd gained so much is I stopped purging but couldn't stop binging. When you put down 3000-4000 cals at a time it adds up...fast.

So when I decided to get the band, I had the demon better under control. Personally, it's my belief that it never goes away...it can go quiet for a while but it's still there inside. And we have to manage it day over day.

Yes, you doctor (surgeon) needs to know. You need to tell EVERYTHING. You own medical health isn't someting to be coy or secret about. My surgeon asked me some questions and determined this was an ok choice.

You must FIRST talk to your therapist about it. If your therapist understands the nature of the band and says they are ok with it, then you use your therapist to write your letter of psychological approval. Mine did and she stated in there that she worked with me on the bulimia and that she felt this operation was a good next step.

Now....let's talk about some really important stuff.

First...the band is WONDERFUL for helping control bulimia because you physically can't binge anymore. It has been amazing in that regard. Even if I want to binge, I can't.

but....and this is vitally important

My therapist told me before surgery that it is her opinion from her very long practice that an addictive person doesn't just stop being addictive. She told me to find an alternate addiction, a healthy one (like knitting, sewing, something that involves my hands) because even though you have thwarted the addiction in one way...it WILL find a way to manifest itself.

I didn't listen to her and it's caused me some troubles that I'm working on now.

You can find A LOT of articles out there about how RNY patients who have lost weight become alcoholics. That is to me the perfect example of trading one addiction for another. We can have surgery to fix our bodies but our brains still need work. (for the record, alcoholism isn't my new demon of choice, but I can easily see how this can work. I mean, hey, alcohol goes through the band quite easily)

I actually recommend ANYONE getting weight loss surgery get a good therapist because even a non addictive person will need to deal with a LOT of issues surrounding this.

Also, I realized one day after I'd pb'd several times that day and the days prior that bascially I was exhibiting the same behavior. Instead of putting a finger down my throat, I was overeating, courting the PB. And when I realized I got the same euphoria from the PB, I knew I was in trouble and had to go back to my therapist and admit it.

Those demons are tough, but they are managable.

If you are still actively purging, you need to think about the band. Because too much purging and you will slip and lose the band and that's just money out the window.

Again, if you and your therapist agree the time is right, then by all means.

Best of luck!!!

Thanks Karen! I know that I have an addictive personality. I think my most recent manifestation is this board! I am mindful of the problem of substituting one addiction for another. I am working with my counselor on the addictions issue.

First...the band is WONDERFUL for helping control bulimia because you physically can't binge anymore. It has been amazing in that regard. Even if I want to binge, I can't

I wish that this was the case for me. I still binge! The only difference that the band has made is that I get much sicker than I did before. A true bulimic or binging is not going to be cured or helped by the band, you just figure out away around it! And believe me there are many ways around the band. Lying to yourself or your surgeon isn't the answer. Its just another lie in the long list of lies we have been telling ourselves since we started our distructive behavior. This is just an opinion from one person who has been there and is stilll living it. I'm sure many won't agree. I just want you to see every side. Again, Good Luck

I wish that this was the case for me. I still binge! The only difference that the band has made is that I get much sicker than I did before.

You can still eat the levels you could before? How? Shoot, I can't. I used to eat a Big Mac, a Quarter pounder and two super size fries along with a jumbo coke then purge it all up.

Can't get even a small percentage of that down now.

Or I could eat an entire box of Cookies. Can't even get close to that.

Maybe I should restate...you can binge..but the amout of food is so much lower. At least it is for me.

Your mileage may vary.

After a few months of being banded I found my self purposly binging just because I could and I had no idea it was because my band was too tight. I thought that I was having a serious problem develop. I started to talk to a counselor and a weight management doctor to help with my eating problems then I went to the doctor and he removed some saline from my band I haven't had the problems with the purging anymore but with the band it can cause problems because I was starting to develop acid relux I did it so much. It is not a good idea to keep it from your doctor at least talk to your counselor and get help for it because it will lead to health problems. It is a process and just take it day to day. I hope everything works out for you.

found my self purposly binging just because I could and I had no idea it was because my band was too tight.
"Purposely binging" and "PBing" aren't the same thing. Assuming your band being too tight was resulting in PBs. Do you mean you would induce a gag reflex to get the PB over with?

I did speak with my counsellor about my upcoming surgery. He did not have any reservations.

I did tell my Dr. about my past bulimia for safety's sake. Of course I was sent BACK for a second phych evaluation with more tests. It is for your safety that they need to make sure you are truly over bulimia.

I can tell you that even if I wanted to binge there is no way I could. And PB'ing is something entirely different and I DO NOT want to do it at all.

Message me if you would like to talk privately. I battled it from age 13-25. It is a demon.

Go for therapy..I havent and my issues just havent changed.I am daily battling this and my band cannot be tight or I just eat to much and purge...and I gain weight from that all the time....Binging now is something different alltogether because I can eat so little.But I still binge,more often than before and the obsessiveness is worse....

Think carefully about this.If you really have this disorder being banded might just make it worse especially mentally.

Good luck.