Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good carbs

So I know the word carbs is kind of a bad word around here lol but I'm interested to see what people's opinions are on good carbs like sweet potatoes, whole grain bread and starches like quinoa. I'm still early out and have been keeping it very low carb and I'm fine with that. I don't miss carbs for the most part, but down the line it would be nice to add some of these into my diet (with Protein of course ring king) thoughts? How do you all feel about the so called 'good carbs'? I feel especially when I'm eventually able to step up my exercise good carbs may be helpful for energy.

Good carbs is what you want to go for. Sweet potatoes are good carbs, but watch how you prepare them. I would stay away from breads in general. Quinoa is my goto carb, very easy to digest, doesn't cause any problems. Just remember to track it and work it out. Good carbs are a good source (and needed source) of energy.

We need carbs for energy, so yes, incorporate them! It's also been stated that men do well on Atkins type diets but that women benefit from a more balanced approach to food. I eat about 40% Protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats and feel perfectly satisfied. I also maintained my weight very easily before I got pregnant - I think, in part, because I never felt deprived or the urge to snack because I was limiting myself. And I definitely noticed an improvement in my mood once I added in more carbs. I get pretty grumpy and cranky when I deny myself carbohydrates.

Before I jump into a "the sleeve is not a diet" lecture, I'll simply say that it's important to learn to eat like a normal person, in moderation, BEFORE achieving goal. Build the habit of healthy eating and you'll carry it with you for a lifetime. Deny yourself critical elements of your diet and you'll only be unhappy and risk binges.

That said, avoiding empty calories and artificial junk is always something we should do. If you're going to eat, try to make it a high quality food that will benefit your body instead of making you crave more junk.

Quinoa is one of my FAVORITE foods to incorporate post op. It's a complete Protein, an easily digestible seed and can be used so many different ways that I never tire of it.

bread is an iffy thing. Not for health reasons but because your sleeve is going to decide for you if you're going to be able to eat much of it. I'm more than two years out and it's only now that I'm pregnant that I can eat more than one very thin slice of bread. A nice, fluffy whole wheat roll with dinner would still be out of the question. I'm a baker and this really hasn't been much of an issue. If I really want/crave some bread I indulge in a reasonable portion. Usually that means half a piece of toast with breakfast! That's all I can fit in most of the time.

I love lentils and several different rice and lentil dishes. Again, I can't eat too much because the rice swells a bit like bread does but this is an option, too.

Experiment and find what you like. The goal is to avoid things that cause you an issue - either by slowing your loss, causing discomfort or by causing cravings - while still eating a balanced diet and feeling satisfied.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I haven't had surgery yet but in my consult apt with my Dr I said "Carbs" he said there are good and bad carbs, I don't care about the good carbs well call the bad carbs "Starches" and those are evil and the ones you should get out of your mind and stay away from. It helped me put it in a little better perspective cus I knew there were good carbs but everyone here on VST kept saying "low carb" but I like the way my Dr. explained it. Hope this helps you a lil bit :}

@clk where can I get good info and cooking idea's for Quinoa? I have never heard of it and now i'm curious. I Google'd it but it ran me around and I still wasn't quite sure what it was....lol Thank you in advance for your help :}

Great stuff here guys thank you for the replies!! When you come on here and read low carb all the time it's easy to forget that there are good carbs.

Cheri excellent post! I also look at VSG as a lifestyle and I don't feel like that included depriving myself. It doesn't mean I can feel free to eat crap either. For me a balanced diet has always been the goal. Clean eating is so appealing to me now also. It's amazing how much my outlook on food and eating has changed. Fresh veggies, roasted potatoes things like that are so appealing to me these days where as pre op I LIKED them but didn't crave them.

I'm very excited to try some recipes with quinoa. I was introduced to it by my ex a few years ago who was all about health food at the time and I kind of just turned my nose up at it. I had it again before surgery a few months ago and really enjoyed it. There are tons of great recipes on Pinterest for it btw!

Thank you for the input everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling like carbs have gotten a bad rep. Not all carbs are bad :)