Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Coordinator Drives Me Nuts!

I attended the informational seminar in July, and Dietician visits started in August. I spoke with my coordinator regarding a timeline and surgery date and now she denies ever telling me the things she told me.

First thing I did was contact my insurance company and ask if a medically-supervised diet was required and they provided me a link to view their guidelines -- there's no specific timeframe for bariatric surgery approval, it just says dieting efforts need to be fully evaluated by the surgeon. Hooray!

So then I call my specific medical group and their requirement is minimum 3 months. Great!

So I call the coordinator and let her know what I've researched and found out and she tells me that I'll complete my nutritionist appts in October, then that I'd have a consultation in November, and surgery sometime in December. I distinctly remember her saying December was a busy month because people who work as teachers try to get their surgeries done over winter break.

Then I distinctly remember saying that I was feeling relieved to have it done in December because it would pretty much guarantee a successful new year!

Yeah so I finished my nutritionist appointments and called her to set up the surgeon consult (as she told me to) and she, "oh, no you have to do 6 months of dieting. I wouldnt have told you 3, it's always 6."

Ugh.

ive went thru the same thing! If your insurance says three then why is the coordinator saying six??? I got really irritated and asked for my coordinator's supervisor! She didnt like that but she got her act together lol

I don't think she has a supervisor that I could ask for, but she said she would "go ahead and put it through for approval, but it's going to get denied." Rude. But she did go on to tell me that I can do an expedited appeal and get an answer within a few days. It just drives me nuts that she said one thing and now refuses that she would have ever said that -- and she talks over me on the phone and it's just frustrating. Anyway, hopefully I don't have to deal with her too much longer, then after surgery, never again!

It's not always 6 months for the insurance requirements (although a lot of them require 6 months). Mine only requires 3 months and it goes by calendar month (so I could have an appointment 2 weeks apart as long as they are in separate calendar months). I saw the doctor and the nut in October, again in November and my final appointment is Dec. 6. Then they will send the information to the insurance for approval with a hopeful surgery date in January (only because the insurance can take up to 30 days to approve).

That is a pain that she isn't being helpful:(

My coordinator didn't bother telling me my surgery wasn't approved the day before it was to happen as I sat in the hotel room.

My coordinator didn't bother telling me my surgery wasn't approved the day before it was to happen as I sat in the hotel room.

Wow! Not cool!

Yeah I thought your coordinator was supposed to fight for you (well, fight the insurance company...) and be nice and patient with all your questions. =\

-