Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Be Eating At 2 Weeks Post Op?

On Tuesday I will be two weeks post op and I am getting really sick of liquids...what have other people been able to tolerate at two weeks post op?

*Jess*

I am two weeks out tomorrow - I just couldn't handle the liquids any longer. I was really hungry - not head hungry - my stomach was growling and I was getting lite headed. Now with more Protein, I feel great. So for the last 3 days I've been able to eat egg salad, hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs. I have also eaten mashed potatoes thined out, hash browns and cottage cheese (ton of protein). I had Pasta Sauce with melted cheese on it. I tried very soft mac n cheese but that seems to go down hard and slow no matter what I do so I think I'll wait on trying that again. Either way, I have to chew everything really really good since I didn't put anything through the blender. Today I ate 1/2 piece of bacon and it went down fine but I don't want to overdo it. For diner tonight I am going to make the Lasagna cupcakes from http://www.emilybites.com/, minus the meat to see how that goes down. I think am going to hold off on meat for another week or two but we shall see. Another good website is http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ she has really good ideas too..can't wait to try them. Let me know how it goes :)

It really depends upon how your doc phases things in - I never had a liquid-only phase so I progressed quicker than those on slower progressing programs. Protein Shake a day, Protein loaded puddings and Jello, unstrained Soups, tuna in cream sauce, mashed potatoes, softer cheeses, boiled eggs etc. were my norms then. It all depends on what your doc's program allows and what you can tolerate at that point - I was getting sick of soups and jello by then and haven't had much of either since, a year and a half later, so I know where you are coming from!.

Those lasagne cupcakes at two weeks out might hit your little sleeve like a flaming 10 ten ton brick, as they are very dense :) Everyone has a different experience but those would have been waaaay too much at two weeks out, the edges of the wontons get quite crispy and hard, even with a lot of chewing it was hard to get them down - Nowadays I also like them a little too much, so i will be saving them for a maintenance recipe :)

Ricotta bake (from Eggface), chicken salads all different types, and ground meats and cheeses - ground turkey with a bit of spaghetti sauce and cheese was really satisfying. The little egg quiches from the South Beach cookbook were yummy and easy to eat for me as well.

Thanks everyone for the input. I just feel like I am getting sick no matter what I try. Even off from yogurt. I took one tiny bit of a french fry today....bad idea....I threw up. Uhh I am so sick of being sick. If it isn't acid reflux its nausea ...if it isn't the nausea its diarrhea (sry tht was probably way to much info) lol ....but im starting to feel really weak bc I can't get in hardly anything. Im kind of starting to hate this. I just wanna feel normal. My incisions still hurt and I have absolutely no energy. Someone plzzz tell me when does this feeling start to go away? If ever? Im suppose to go back to work next week and I just feel so tired all the time idk how I am going to manage. :(

*Jess*

I ate the lasagna cupcakes last night and they were good but yes, I opted to not eat the edges just from pure panic that I didn't want to overdo it (I haven't puked yet and I'm trying to avoid it!). I chewed them really well, until watery. The rest of it went down fine, no problem. I also had cauliflower with it. I slowed way down with this meal and it's one of the first times I didn't have pain in my chest from air.

If you are feeling week, however, I would try drinking gatorade or Vitamin Water. If you are having trouble getting food down, try making it as wet as possible. I started with watery mashed potatoes and that worked well. I then started adding about a tablespoon of unflavored Protein to them and that helped too. Also, strained cream Soups will at least give you the energy boost you may need. I also added a tablespoon of Protein to about 1/2 cup and that gave me an additional 9 grams of protein per serving. Anymore than that and it changed the flavor of the Soup too much and I couldn't stand it.

I'm thankful to see that I'm not the only one with some frustrations in this process. What I find frustrating is seeing the huge differences in some of the post op (& pre op) diet plans, more so with the post of eating plans though. If the purpose of taking it slow and following the doctors orders post op is to be careful with the new sleeve, and be careful not to create leaks for the first 6 weeks, then how can each doctor have such a varying range on what is & isn't okay to eat, especially within the first couple of weeks post op? I am one week post op as of today, and I feel like I could eat a shoe I'm so hungry. I too am SO sick of liquids. I was cleared as of yesterday to "full liquids", which means cream based Soup (no chunks), cream of wheat & yogurt without chunks. With only being allowed 2-3 Tbsp. at a time, it is just not doing it for me.

I am 11 days post op and have also had enough liquid! I've tried CC love it, I also had bacon well chewed of course OMG how I missed it! Scrambled eggs I made white gravy so a small amount of it. Tonight I tried a sweet potato not so good on my baby sleeve. And my baby hates bananas I've tried twice now mushed up and no go! Keeping in mind that I can't get over 2 oz in one bite over and I am hurting! I have a nutrition app tomorrow I will probably be in trouble lol.