Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone on Optifast?

I'm supposed to be on Optifast for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I tried on Friday, made it to shake 2...and then fell off the wagon. Am trying again today and feel super nauseous. The shakes taste okay, but I think my body is going through solid food withdrawal...already.

Anyone have problems with Optifast?

- Kirsten

Being banded Sept 29 2006

Hello everyone

My best friend is being banded on October 14th (she doesnt have a computer). Anyway, she was supposed to be on Optifast for 3 weeks. She is not doing very well with it. I would say that out of each week, she might have 4 days that she is able to stick to this (3 shakes/day with unlimited veggies).

I am concerned that she is jepoardizing her chances of a successful surgery. Has anyone who has had the surgery, had difficulty with the pre-op restrictions as well? If so.. how did you make out?

Thanks very much

Hello everyone

My best friend is being banded on October 14th (she doesnt have a computer). Anyway, she was supposed to be on Optifast for 3 weeks. She is not doing very well with it. I would say that out of each week, she might have 4 days that she is able to stick to this (3 shakes/day with unlimited veggies).

I am concerned that she is jepoardizing her chances of a successful surgery. Has anyone who has had the surgery, had difficulty with the pre-op restrictions as well? If so.. how did you make out?

Thanks very much

yes, it is difficult, this is my 6th day and it has been hard but you drink a calorie free drink everytime you think about food, I drink that peach ice tea/sugarless, it's great. The reason for the dieting before surgery is the doctor when he places the band, if you liver is swelled, he can't get the band around the stoma. He explained that the stomach has a blind place where he cannot see and the liver is in that area so if the liver is swelled, he can't get the band on so you have to diet more so it is very important to do that diet and keep on top and plan you drinks, I have 5 a day, every 3 hrs during the day and drink, drink, drink between shakes..........YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

I am into day 5 of Optifast and I am going great .. everytime I'm hungry I have a shake and I make sure I do three a day and then drinks in between with lots of sugarless lollies to keep me going .. I know I am not drinking enough .. and when I think I am going to fall off this process .. I think about having surgery NON keyhole and being in hospital for 2 weeks and really .. this might be tough but .. don't you want to give yourself the very SAFEST hospital experience and the BEST CONDITIONS for your SURGEON TO WORK in .. oops CAPS haha

I only had to do the Optifast for 1 week, but I found it pretty easy. I was able to put in frozen fruit in the shakes and spice it up a bit. It's really not that bad.