Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Has Stalled After Only 4 Weeks

I started my 10 day pr-op diet on 06/18/12 & surgery on 06/28/12. I am THRILLED that I have lost 40 lbs (even) since then but all of that weight was lost as of 07/15/12 & I've even gained 2 lbs back since then. I'm still on pureed (until tomorrow....YAY) & haven't cheated a bit! I eat three 3oz meals per day, an ounce of 100% fruit juice, and about 3 sugar free Popsicles (PER WEEK). My husband is a saint and has done most of this with me (including 10 day liquid pr-op diet). He has also lost 25 lbs but stalled around the same time. We are both SUPER frustrated &the he's ready to give-up! No exercise has been started bc I'm only4 weeks out from surgery! My head says "it'll happen" but my gut says "another attempt that's not gonna stick"!

Yes I do realize 40 lbs is huge, but I was expecting at least a little movement each week instead of an almost 2 week stand still!!

Thanks for any advice!! Jennifer

The same thing happened to me around that time! It WILL PASS!!!! In the next week or two, you'll likely start dropping 2 to 3 pounds a day for a while and then it will taper off again.... one morning I woke up and had dropped 5 whole pounds overnight.... don't ask me how that happened, but it did! Don't get frustrated... you've had surgery... you don't have a CHOICE but to lose the weight now.... it'll happen. Just keep up the good work and wait for it! :)

Ditto to what SouthernDonna said! I read all over this forum that a three to four week stall is normal. Still it is frustrating! My scale started moving again this week and this morning I had a five pound overnight drop. When I mentioned to my surgeon during my visit (7 weeks post op) that I had hit a stall for a while, he looked perplexed. He pointed out to me that I had lost nearly 20 lbs in the 6 weeks since I saw him last, which amounted to an average weight loss of 3 lbs per week. He said that was great. When he put it in those terms, it did seem much more reasonable. I think we are so excited with the rapid beginning weight loss that we expect that it will just keep going, so a slow inching of the scale is disappointing. Stick with the plan and you WILL NOT FAIL! If you talk to sleevers who have been at this for 6 months or more, you will see that they have had amazing weight loss, but have all experienced a stall, or several stalls along the way.

I forgot to mention that I am just 8 weeks post-op myself, so that happened to me very recently. I'll lose pretty well for several days and then stall again.... it was frustrating at first for me too, but I've read the posts and talked to my sister (who was sleeved in August) and know that it just happens and will pass. By the way, you're losing inches all the time, even when the scale doesn't reflect a loss. So, your clothes will start getting really loose and you'll notice the changes, even during a stall. :) Chin up! :)

Very common and very normal. Just search the 3-week stall and you will find many, many, many posts from people that have gone through it and from people that can assure you it is fine. Your body has been through major surgery and it is trying to adjust. It WILL start coming off again.

Like was said, very normal although frustrating I know. I went through several stalls, sometimes a whole month at a time, before losing 120 lbs in a year. So hang in there. There is no way your body will not lose weight with the amount of calories you're consuming. Be patient and have faith. The scale will move again!