Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op & discouraged!!

Hi everyone! I got banded in June, and my progress haven't been what I've hoped for... :faint: However, I've got no one to blame but myself, since I don't exercise, plus, i can just eat fine, probably b/c I had only 1 filling. I wanted to share my progress with someone along the same lines as me. I'm 20, so I'd prefer someone around that area but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thank you in advance :clap2:

14kg / 30.8lbs in 3 months is fantastic !! Congratulations! You must be doing something right to have lost that, right?

I have to ask. What sort of results were you expecting?

Thank you very much :)

It's just that there's this guy, and he had his operation in april, and he recently said that he lost more than 60 kg. He's half his size, and 30 kg in 3 months are what my parents are pressuring me to do... :o

Plus, I lost like 10 kg right after the operation because of the liquid diet and lack of eating.

I was a "heavy weight" or high BMI starter, and it took me a lot longer than 3 months to lose 30kg (it took me 18 months to lose 75kg, and I was considered a fast loser)

People who have a lot to lose tend to lose faster than those who are lighter. So the guy who says he has lost 60kg / 120lbs in 5 months may have had a lot to lose. You really cannot compare yourself to anyone. We are all so different.

Is the 38kg in your ticker your total weight to lose till goal? If so, you may find that you will lose a little slower. And that is ok. This thing is not a race.

If you want to help your weight loss along, get out there every day and go for a walk, track your intake (most bandsters take in somewhere between 1200 - 1500 calories a day to lose, although some go as low as 800 calories per day)

Yes, my total is 38 kg. I have 24 to go.. I'm really in need of losing, but my scale is all floozy and I just can't motivate myself to walk!!

Plus, I just ate 3 plates of something, which should be impossible, but i was fine. just fine.

Sometimes I hate my life so muchh

It's just that there's this guy, and he had his operation in april, and he recently said that he lost more than 60 kg. He's half his size, and 30 kg in 3 months are what my parents are pressuring me to do... :o/quote]

Neverland,

In my experience, guys lose weight faster too. My husband, who I have been with since my early 20's, can go on a diet with me and lose twice as fast, everytime! So, not fair!

Also, my Dr.'s statistics were that the average person loses 50% of their goal weight with in 18 months. You have almost done that in 1/6 th of the time. Therefore, you are losing much much faster than the average person.

Aussie Chick,

So nice to see you supporting us on the boards! Truly an inspiration!

Yes, my total is 38 kg. I have 24 to go.. I'm really in need of losing, but my scale is all floozy and I just can't motivate myself to walk!!

Plus, I just ate 3 plates of something, which should be impossible, but i was fine. just fine.

Sometimes I hate my life so muchh

Please don't beat yourself up. If you are able to eat 3 plates, it means 2 things.

1) You have not yet reached a point where you have restriction (and may need another fill, or two).

2) The foods you are eating are not solid enough (solids are Protein & veggies) so it is sliding straight through the band.

A third possibility is that you are eating for too long. Most bandsters eat for no longer than 20-30 minutes (or stop if full before then naturally!)

Motivation is one of those funny things. I found it really hard to find, and keep motivation in the beginning. It was when I made up my mind that this was not a "diet" but a lifestyle change, one that will be with me for life, and made changes to my diet, and exercise that I could live with, that I saw sustained motivation. And then I started losing real weight.

Maybe if you try walking for 10 minutes 3 times a day for a week, then 15 minutes a twice a day for a week, then work up to the full 30 minutes a day the week after that.

10 minutes, 3 times a day, is a whole lot less overwhelming than 30 minutes, if you know what I mean.

And as for your diet, well, do you have a dietitian that you can talk to? I found in the early days of my becoming a vegetarian it was a big help (I became a veggie at about 6 months post op)

Good luck with everything ;)

Aussie Chick,

So nice to see you supporting us on the boards! Truly an inspiration!

It is my pleasure. I only know what worked for me, and if sharing that helps, I am glad to do so.

Girl, I'm worse of then you, I'm only down about 15 lbs post surgery. I even exercise a bit too. I just got my 3rd fill and now I'm tight (could be swelling though, we'll see) I would give my right breast (and my left) to have lost as much as you! LOL

I, also, was discouraged by my slow weight loss. I was only down 30 pounds in the first 9 months. Since I got a fill two weeks ago, though, I have dropped another 10. It might be slower than I had hopes, but still quicker than I would have done it without surgery!

Your doing great!

Men lose faster than women.

Talk to your band doctor - what are his recommendations? Get a fill if you need one.

Your parents might think they are helping, but they don't have a clue about what they are suggesting. Maybe THEY need to talk to the band doc and stop messing with your head.

You are doing fine, just fine.

Terry :rolleyes:

I am so happy I read that post. I was discouraged too. I was banded on August 17, so three weeks ago, and I immediatly lost 15 lbs after the first week, mainly because the liquid diet. Now I can pretty much eat whatever I want just not as much and I have to chew it really well. I had pizza last night and maybe again this morning for breakfast! I've gained about 2 lbs back. My doctor says I can't have a fill until 6 weeks but I'm afraid I'll gain everything that I've lost back by then. Anyway, it's just good to hear that someone else is going through the same things as me. I'm really glad there is a place like this out there. Thanks Guys!

I am so happy I read that post. I was discouraged too. I was banded on August 17, so three weeks ago, and I immediatly lost 15 lbs after the first week, mainly because the liquid diet. Now I can pretty much eat whatever I want just not as much and I have to chew it really well. I had pizza last night and maybe again this morning for breakfast! I've gained about 2 lbs back. My doctor says I can't have a fill until 6 weeks but I'm afraid I'll gain everything that I've lost back by then. Anyway, it's just good to hear that someone else is going through the same things as me. I'm really glad there is a place like this out there. Thanks Guys!

I had my surgery on Aug 28th. I lost 15 pounds within the first two weeks but when I started eating solid foods I gained back 10 lbs. Which really discouraged me. Right now I feel nooo restriction and am pretty much just trying my hardest to control myself while waiting to start the fills. Which it sounds like it may take more than one to get it right. Since the gain I have lost back 4 lbs and I really havnt done much of anything different. Someone pointed out to me that when you are on the liquid phase, your colon empties. Then when you start solids, you fill er back up again and that can amount to added weight. But I believe that my body has equalled itself back out again and I am back to losing weight. Just hang in there, and dont beat yourself up like I did. It makes losing weight ALOT harder :)