Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nsv - First Family Dinner

I am a good cook and as the self-appointed matriarch of the family have always loved to put on big family dinners. Some of my major concerns pre-surgery were that I might somehow develop an aversion to food or the smell of food, and that I might no longer like or want to keep up the family dinner traditions given that I would be limited in partaking thereof. Along comes Mother's Day, 8 weeks out...

We traditionally have the first big cookout of the year on Mother's Day, with all the kids and grandkids in attendance. We prepared the traditonal list of grilled goodies, such as cheeseburgers, hot dogs, brats with all the fixins' such as chili sauce, kraut, corn on the cob, mac & cheese, baked Beans, and most glorious of all... two homemade New York cheesecakes with raspberry coulis!! So darn good!!

The Victory is that I enjoyed cooking and serving just as much as I ever did. I ate a bite or two or most things (skipped the corn on the cob and the green salad, and left off the buns), including the cheesecake. It was a major relief to sail through the first event and still feel normal! Looks like Thanksgiving is still a go!

No one commented on the small amount I ate, but they did notice the weight loss!

The Victory is that I enjoyed cooking and serving just as much as I ever did. I ate a bite or two or most things (skipped the corn on the cob and the green salad, and left off the buns), including the cheesecake. It was a major relief to sail through the first event and still feel normal! Looks like Thanksgiving is still a go!

No one commented on the small amount I ate, but they did notice the weight loss!

kyllfalcon

congrats girlfriend, job well done.

i have always felt lucky that my daughter is married and not around anymore. (hmmmm that doesn't sound right does it -_-She had the NERVE to take my 3 grandkids with her, does that seem right :(what i mean is that we're not around family or really go to barbecues and stuff - just me and my DH - so I'm not tempted by all that food around.

i often wonder how people with kids and stuff do it, eat properly while cooking for the family.

You love to cook, good for you, shows your strength and determination that you are doing so well while enduring good food smells.

congrats again, and heres to a great summer

kathy

Kathy, I know what you meant about your daughter! My kids moved away with all my grandkids too, but I'm lucky in that they still live close enough to drive home for holidays and other family events.

It must be incredibly hard for those with kids still at home and/or a non-cooperative spouse.

Thank you so much for this post. I start my pre-op shakes next Monday and surgery is June 4th and this issue is giving me the most anxiety. Thanksgiving and Christmas is held at my parents, because it's easier on them in the winter, I host all spring, summer & fall functions like Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, 4th, Birthdays through Labor Day.

I'm not doing Memorial Day this year because I'll be on shakes only, I'm really upset about Father's Day because it will be 2 weeks out from surgery. My surgeon expects 5-6 weeks of liquids AFTER surgery. I think it will be much too hard for me and I do wonder what it will be like for all the other holidays this year like Thanksgiving & Christmas. I am hoping to be at my goal weight for my parent's 50th in December, hopefully that will make up Father's Day. He's my biggest supporter of the surgery, yet he's the most apprehensive about it too.

MinaT,

Wow! That's a long liquid period!

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Please post as soon as you are able.

I truly hope your experience hosting family events goes as well as it did for me. Just like old times, without the bloat and heartburn!

I am so glad you enjoyed your family dinner. I am sure our dinners will be fine, I just think Father's Day will be too hard on me this year.

I will clarify the liquid phase tomorrow when I see preop nurse who will be teaching me how to use the spirometer and how to clean the drain and she'll be going over my meds and what I need to stop prior to surgery and which ones we need to change because they are too large.

When the other nurse said don't be shocked after surgery when you realize you will be on 5-6 weeks of liquids after surgery, it did not seem like she was including the 14 days prior to surgery. I was given a sheet of each stage - Clear Liquids, liquids, mushy, soft stage, regular which included recipes for each stage. We are not to move on to the next phase until surgeon tells us to. I will have appointments at 1 week 3 weeks 5 weeks 7 weeks and then once a month.

I'm thinking it's the one week of clears (4) days in the hospital and probably another partial week - 2 weeks of shakes and 2 weeks of mush? They say they get optimum results with less vomiting and food intolerance's, so I will just do what they say I suppose.

Surgery is June 4th, which seems like an eternity even though I've been on their program for almost 7 months. I lost 60 pounds in that time so it hasn't been a waste, but I still treat myself once in a while to rice or things that would not be considered low carb. I went crazy Friday and ate a big bag of popcorn at the movies, which I am paying dearly for since I have a hernia and I suffer with intestinal issues anyhow. That was my last hurrah for popcorn. I only have a few foods I will end up missing after surgery anyhow, mostly popcorn and pretzels and rice.