Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching My Pouch

Hi all,

I just needed to bounce this off some people. I am obsessed with the idea that I will stretch my pouch. I stop before I overdo it and although I have felt full quite a bit, I have never really felt pain. How can you tell if you are stretching your pouch? I am only 3 weeks out and am on mushy food, but I have found that means about anything moist that you chew well enough. I can't stop thinking about ruining my surgery. I am averaging 600-800 cals daily and really have to work for those. I have also been doing plenty of fluids. If I forget and don't give it a full half hour, mixing food and drink will make me vomit. That has happened twice and I fully intend to pay more attention for the future. I know I am not the only one that is paranoid about this, so any thoughts or advice would really help.

Thanks all!

You don't have a pouch; you have a sleeve. That sleeve is created by removing most of the stomach and what is left is mostly muscle, so it's pretty tough once it's healed. Try to eat less than what it takes to make you full, and it sounds like you are doing that. :) Be cautious, but don't obsess about it. You'll definitely know if you overeat...and you won't want to do it again! :)

Good luck!!

If anybody can speak from experience, I have tested the limits of my little best pal. Try eating pork stew a little too fast or just that one bite too much and you will be reminded rather promptly that you have been greedy. After 30 minutes of walking it off you will have rediscovered the respect.

I am four years out, and yes I can eat more than I could in the first two years. It does take a full 18 months to heal completely... a much overlooked fact.

HOWEVER - I still know when to stop. My kids know that when I hiccough I put my fork down. They all say "OH... Mommy is full".

SO remember, trust your tool and respect it or it will open up a can of whoop ass on you when you push it.

Oops. I did mean sleeve. lol I was chatting with a girl with an RNY on Facebook right before I posted here. This is what happens when you are tired. :) This makes me feel better because I haven't really had any major pain happen yet. I do burp a lot though. I will be eating and get a sharp pain and burp then its gone. Its so strange. I am trying to make the best out of this honeymoon period and replace bad habits with good ones. I just really can't tell anything about how my gastrointestinal system is going to be that day. Also, I guess there is less danger of stretching it if it takes 18 months to completely heal. I am trying to go slow and it is rather dangerous when something smells really good and I have to wait. It is hard to remind myself that I can't wolf food down anymore or I will suffer.

Thank you for reminding me of this MamaBear. I'm in a bit of a freakout, worrying, because I was thinking I must be "stretching" my sleeve or something? I can eat more, and I have to remind myself that 1) this is normal after 18 months of healing, and, 2) my weight gain is likely due to food choices and eating too often, not the sleeve.

Anyways, thanks to all who posted here. I'm feeling a bit fatter, but a lot better, than I did earlier tonight. :)

I am four years out, and yes I can eat more than I could in the first two years. It does take a full 18 months to heal completely... a much overlooked fact.

I have a huge problem! I can unfortunately eat more than I thought after surgery :( I didn't get sick much and hardly do at all. I don't know I kind of wish I had a little more restraint. I want to do well and I think I am getting so stressed and than eating unhealthy foods. Vicious cycle. I have a high stress job and no time for anything. I don't want to seem like I am just looking at the negatives but I know we all know the positives... I desperately need help.

Hey all,

you know how I always view food volume with the sleeve? I feel that it has put me in line with how "normal" people who are not prone to obesity eat. So for instance, last night I ate 2 pork ribs, a piece of yam the size of a small apple, and a half a plate of salad - stuffed to the gills, but that was totally a normal meal for the average human. Before my sleeve I would have had 4 to 6 ribs, a whole large yam and salad and then dessert.

If you over focus on the quantities you will start the emotinal triggers that make bad choices happen. That is PRECISELY why I refuse to count calories....it just triggers my diet pirate.

I know that if I work really hard at it, I can regain all my weight... I know that - but there is so much more to live for than food, and my sleeve makes it something that I can more easily (not totally easily) ignore and just be normal and not always on a diet.

Looking for local support in chattanooga

I'm sorry you're having a tough time of it. Have you contacted your surgeon's office to see if there is a support group in your area? If not, keep coming here. Everyone who's posting here seem very supportive. Good luck.

Hi all,

I just needed to bounce this off some people. I am obsessed with the idea that I will stretch my pouch. I stop before I overdo it and although I have felt full quite a bit, I have never really felt pain. How can you tell if you are stretching your pouch? I am only 3 weeks out and am on mushy food, but I have found that means about anything moist that you chew well enough. I can't stop thinking about ruining my surgery. I am averaging 600-800 cals daily and really have to work for those. I have also been doing plenty of fluids. If I forget and don't give it a full half hour, mixing food and drink will make me vomit. That has happened twice and I fully intend to pay more attention for the future. I know I am not the only one that is paranoid about this, so any thoughts or advice would really help.

Thanks all!

I feel the same way...help!