Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The First Post! :)

Sign in to follow this  

Hey Y'all! I started the group because I noticed that there wasnt one for those in and around LA and I wanted a place for us to gather! :) Hope it picks up and gathers members. Anyone is welcome though regardless of location. Good luck yall and I look forward to us chatting!

Great idea to start a group for us La sleevers!

Thx! I adore this site and love the idea of having a group for those that are close together. I saw that you just had your surgery. How are you doing?? I havent gotten approved yet, which I am nervous about, but I am planning on having the surgery sometime in the beginning of March. I am using Dr. Merriman here in shreveport and was curious who you used as your surgeon. I look forward to getting to know you! Good Luck!!! :)

Yep, I had the surgery on Dec. 19 and I'm doing great! I have already lost 21 pounds!! I used Dr. Hargroder at Woman's Hospital. He has been great and his staff is awesome! It is definitly an adjustment! I just advanced from a full liquid to a soft diet on Tuesday and that was really when I realized just how small my stomach is now! CRAZY!!! I met with my dietitian for the third time today (my fees covered 2 outpatient and 1 inpatient visit). She has also been great! I hope you get approved! My insurance wouldn't cover it at all because I have student insurance. :( If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I will help any way I can. My best friend had the sleeve done 4 months ago. She has been a big help. It's great just to have someone to call when I have a question. She had the lap band done a few yrs ago and had some complications so she had it removed. She says the sleeve is SO much better!

I am extremely nervous about not getting approved. I just posted an update on my blog about some time issues with my non medical WL proof. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay overall? I am thinking that if I get denied in both the initial decision and the appeals, then I'll just pay out of pocket, but i know it aint cheap! lol Dr. Merriman charges over 14 thou and I think that is just his portion, but I am not sure, Ill need to ask. If not then that might not be to bad if that is all inclusive to everything, including the hospital. Insurance only covers at 50 % with no cap anyway. I guess it all depends. All I know is that this ordeal is teaching me that I can be very impatient! lol I am so glad you are doing well!! Yeah, I never could get over the idea about the lap band being a foreign object. And the idea of my intestines being moved around wasnt appealing either, so the sleeve sounded perfect! Cheers to WL! :)

I don't have the info on me but I can get it tomorrow. Off the top of my head though, it was right under $14,000... that included Dr. Hargroders fee and his PA, the hospital fees, anesthesia, 1 night stay at the hospital, all my preop lab work and tests, 2 outpatient and 1 inpatient visits with the dietitian, and an insurance plan called BLISS that covers you for 90 days in case there are any post op complications. and you can extend BLISS for a year (I think) for an additional $104. I did that because it seemed worth it to me. Another cool thing about Dr. H is that you have the option of having your surgery done at Womans Hospital in Baton Rouge or you can have it at St. Elizabeth's (I think is the one) in Gonzalas. :)

That is not bad! So I guess that one price I saw for self pay was inclusive. This is good to know, cause if the insurance does cover it, Ill be looking at less than 7 thou since they have to do contract prices. (which are always cheaper than what they would normally charge) It does make me feel better just in case I have to self pay. He doesnt offer BLISS, but I am wondering if I can get that on my own, maybe? I think if it comes down to me having to self pay, I might explore other doctors. It is very impatient of me, but I am already tapping my fingers with this NUT session. lol If I had the money, I would probably say screw it and pay for the surgery just so I wouldnt have to deal with the insurance company. If only....

You'll def have to keep me updated :) I hope you are doing awesomely!! I cant wait till I can join you!

Hello my fellow Louisiana Sleevers!!!! My name is Courtney I have recently began my VSG journey. I am currently on my 6 month physician supervised diet and expect to be sleeved sometime in July, how exciting!!!!!! I cant wait for any words of wisdom from my new friends!!!!!

How exciting! It's great to meet you! I am currently doing a month of the diet. I have some info from some previous weight loss places, so I was told those should work. Hope so! I am currently trying to get allll the evidence I can to support my need for the surgery. Just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. I am hoping to be sleeved in March. Cross my fingers!! :) I wish you the BEST of luck! How is your diet going so far?

Wow best of luck to you as well.

The diet is going good so far thanks for asking.

My only concern is that if I loose to much weight right now the insurance company is gonna say oh well you can do it on your own. I guess that is just the paranoid side of me thinking.

Hi Courtney! I'm Leah. I got sleeved 4 weeks ago. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away! =)

Thanks Leah will do. I am so excited that i found this site.

I worry about that too! But I just write down my food and hope that it all works out. I have good feelings, but if I get denied, I'll appeal, if denied again, then I will self pay. I am pretty determined and will figure it all out when the time comes. Stay positive! :)

HI Everyone. This is my first post. I first would like to say how very helpful this site has been for me and how much I enjoy reading about everyones journey. I was sleeved 12-27-11 so im alittle more then 3weeks out. I love the idea of talking to people in my own state as well. Thanks GonnaBhotmama! Im 43 and live in Slidell La. Only about 45mins from New Orleans. I look forward to reading what others have to say. I too am always open for questions. And have many of my own. Like how do I get my ticker? :biggrinjester: Laissez les bons temps rouler :biggrinjester:

Just go to tickerfactory.com and create your ticker. Then you will copy and paste the message board result into your signature. You can do that by editing your profile.

Congrats on your sleeve!! I can not wait to see if I am approved. I too LOVE hearing all the success stories and the information is great!! Good Luck and keep us updated on your recovery. Id love to hear about it! :)