Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

headache...ugh

Day 3 of 10 and wow I develop a whopping headache tonight. I just had a Protein Shake and a Greek yogurt so that is helping a bit. I am on full liquids with the focus on Protein I think I am going through a carb withdrawal I didn't realize how much I have actually been eating carbs until now. Also now the anxiety and fear is setting in. I'm really afraid that come 20 years from now I'm going to look back and an regret making such a drastic change to my body because there isn't a whole lot of long term data on the sleeve yet. Yet at the same time I realize that if I don't do this now I will probably be facing a whole host of other problems so I guess doing this is probably going to be more of a safe bet than not. Just feeling a bit scared of the unknown. Also I've never had surgery of any kind so I'm afraid how that is going to feel. Surgery is scheduled for October 26th and it is now becoming very real especially being on the preop diet and feeling crumby and grouchy.

This website has helped me so much to see that I'm not alone so I wanted to share my feelings and maybe get some words of encouragement from my fellow sleevers :-)

Ahh, the wicked carb withdrawal! I can't imagine doing that and full liquids at the same time :( I cut my carbs during my 3 month supervised diet, so I didn't have to go through that during my pre-op. Try drinking some propel Water or Powerade zero. It helped me get through the carb withdrawal.

You are right that there isn't a lot of long term data on the sleeve... by itself. But it was used with the DS since the 70's. Also, gastrectomy's have been performed on people with cancer or ulcers for years and years, some people even have complete gastrectomy's and live with no stomach at all. The long term data for those people is very promising. They manage to live long, healthy, complete lives. The awesome thing about the sleeve is that our stomach will function just as a normal stomach does. It is simply a lot smaller.

I also never had surgery before, and to be honest it was no biggie. My pre-op nurse was great and he got the IV (the thing I was most worried about) in the first time. I did not get numbed, I told him to just get it over with, but many people do get numbed first. All surgery is a big deal, but our surgery is about as safe as a surgery can be. If you are that anxious they will probably give you something to help keep you calm.

You'll do great! The pre-op and the post-op op are the hardest, but a couple weeks after surgery it will be so much better!

Thank you so much. I forgot about the other surgerys beside sleeve that are gastrectomies that makes me feel a lot better. I really appreciate your post :-)

Thank you so much. I forgot about the other surgerys beside sleeve that are gastrectomies that makes me feel a lot better. I really appreciate your post :-)

You're welcome smile.gif It helped me a lot too!

Day 3 of 10 and wow I develop a whopping headache tonight. I just had a Protein shake and a Greek yogurt so that is helping a bit. I am on full liquids with the focus on Protein I think I am going through a carb withdrawal I didn't realize how much I have actually been eating carbs until now. Also now the anxiety and fear is setting in. I'm really afraid that come 20 years from now I'm going to look back and an regret making such a drastic change to my body because there isn't a whole lot of long term data on the sleeve yet. Yet at the same time I realize that if I don't do this now I will probably be facing a whole host of other problems so I guess doing this is probably going to be more of a safe bet than not. Just feeling a bit scared of the unknown. Also I've never had surgery of any kind so I'm afraid how that is going to feel. Surgery is scheduled for October 26th and it is now becoming very real especially being on the preop diet and feeling crumby and grouchy.

This website has helped me so much to see that I'm not alone so I wanted to share my feelings and maybe get some words of encouragement from my fellow sleevers :-)

I had the wicked headache but it was from caffeine withdrawal! If you stopped drinking coffee, soda and tea and went to Clear Liquids, thats the answer to your headache problem. It will subside by tomorrow. I had it for about 2 days and then it got better and better. I dont drink caffeine anymore either because I went through hell for those days and its just not worth going back to it!

Headache has now subsided and I actually feel pretty good, I lost 5 pounds over the last 2 days which is pretty impressive. I'm not a caffeine drinker so I think the headache was from the stupid carb withdrawal but I'm happy so say it has passed.