Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried some protien powder..

I tried an 8 oz glass of Protein shake last night does my reaction make sense?

Initially, I felt satiated and was loving the fact that I had absolutely no interest/craving for food, although I couldn't figure out why I suddenly was so tired (isn't Protein supposed to give you an energy boost?). Then I kinda got nauseous.... I started belching ALOT (with a little "re-uptake"). Hours later I was still uninterested in food when I laid down to go to sleep. Normally I am not interested, even remotely in eating until noon at the earliest, but today I woke up STARVING!

Is this pretty typical when adjusting to Protein drinks, or am I a total odd ball??

Yeah, your body has to get adjusted to your new eating habits... When you start taking Protein it usually takes your body a week or two to actually adjust. Once it does you will start feeling more energetic and less fatigue.

Plus if you are waking up in the more starving, it is a great thing because you are suppose to fast through out the night. Once you eat Breakfast you should feel extremely refueled.

Yeah, your body has to get adjusted to your new eating habits... When you start taking Protein it usually takes your body a week or two to actually adjust. Once it does you will start feeling more energetic and less fatigue.

Plus if you are waking up in the more starving, it is a great thing because you are suppose to fast through out the night. Once you eat Breakfast you should feel extremely refueled.

Yes it hits me like that too. I can put down 8 oz of Tomato juice in 1/2 hour no problem. Putting down 8 oz of a Protein shake... takes me at least an hour. Makes me feel VERY full and tired.

Khy

I'm pre-op and just kinda taking a test run of things (protien shot, gatorage Protein drinks, the shakes and greek yogurt). It took me awhile to finish the shake and I was very full when I was done... I can't even imagine how you post-op ppl do it :blink:. I *thought* Protein Shots where gonna be the way to go but the one I got tasted h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e!!

So, I have another question... if its normal for the shakes to fill you up like that how on earth do you have room to EAT anything post-op?? I have my entire stomach still and after drinking that the mere thought of eating made me wanna purge! How on earth do you get the rest of you nutrition in the rest of the day???? I am serious I was so full I considered drinking a couple of those a couple times a day from now till my sleeve to help me lose some of the weight (tbh I even though about it as an "instead of" idea, but I know it wouldn't last forever, eventually I would want real food and gain it all back) but I don't know how healthy that would be and I also don't want to lose so much that they won't do my surgery (like I said, I know it will come back w/o surgery) :( so If it was THAT potent for a non-sleeved stomach how on earth do you sleevers manage????

Yes they are very filling. I don't know why they make me feel that way though. I can drink the same amount of Tomato juice and I do not have the same type of stuffed full feeling.

Khy

Protein is thicker than most liquids that we consume, so it feels like we're sipping down a mcdonald's milkshake instead of Water