Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Eddie. I'm 47 years old from Jacksonville, FL. I had unsucessful Lap-Band four years ago. My husband, however, is the poster child for Lap-Band, having lost all his weight in nine months and keeping it off for four plus years. Anyway, a year ago I had three strokes due to a vertebral artery dissection. Since then, I have gained an additional 50 pounds above what my Band allowed me to regain. I now tip the scales at a whopping 307 pounds, my highest weight ever. My primary care physician, endocrinologist, neurologist and surgeon are all on board with a revision of my band to either RNY or VSG. The reason I joined this forum is because I am strongly leaning toward VSG (at the recommendation of my surgeon) and would like all the input I can get. After one failed surgery, I want to make sure I'm making the best choice this time. So please, hit me with all the facts and experiences you can! And may I say it's certainly a plus to find fellow LGBT folks on here!! :)

Hi Eddie!!! Saw this on my Facebook feed and had to come say HELLO! I wish we could ALL have your hubby's experience with that damned lap band. I'm in your boat, although I KNOW I want the sleeve. I was also considering getting the RNY, because I think I need that anti-cheat mechanism built in because of the dumping syndrome. However, I did my research and decided on the VSG because of the long term success numbers of it. I also see that the people who are happiest with the decision in my support group meetings are the ones who have had the sleeve done. (I've also watched my mother regain quite a bit of her weight with the RNY, whereas my sister has done remarkably well.)

I wish you luck! Come say hello in the "band to sleeve revision" area if you haven't already.

Woo hoo! I'm down 13 pounds! I don't have a date yet, but I've been on pre-op diet for a week in the hopes that after I complete all my pre-op stuff this week they'll schedule me for next week. I will have been on the diet for the required two weeks and after all, how can they resist a face like mine?!? B)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 1 reply
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!