Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about post op diet

Hi, I'm 5 days post op and my surgeon said I could have anything that would fit thru a straw. He said if I blended up steak and it can fit through a straw to go for it ( not using straws tho!) So my mom made me some chicken Soup with some veggies, blended it up for me and is a thick but liquidy consistency. Is that ok? Can u give me sum ideas? Is Jello ok? How about yogurt? Thanks for ur help!

I too was told anything that fits thru a straw. I have been having sugar free Jello and low carb yogurt plus pureed Soup. Also of course Protein Shakes.< /p>

Thank u for ur reply!!!!! What kind of Soup are u pureeing? Thank u!!

I have pureed cream of chicken, tomatoe, and cream of potato so far. Putting 1/2 cup of concentrated soup from can with 1/2 cup skim milk and blending it in my mini food processor. I have been doing this because I am tired of sweet Protein shakes.

egg flower Soup is good because it has Protein in it.

Another good way to get some Protein in your soup is to blend up cottage cheese in Tomato Soup. If it's too thick , thin it down with milk.

When I was at that stage my favorite thing to eat was pureed potato Soup. I put it in the blender with some chicken broth, cheese and plain greek yogurt (for extra protein). It was so creamy and good!

Thanks so much for this thread. I had my sleeve in Australia and I was basically told from day 4 when I was released from hospital, if I could whizz it to a puree consistency (like stage one baby food) I can eat what I like. I mentioned this on another forum and got beaten down being told I should only be on clear fluids for two weeks. I think there is a very fine line between liquid and puree. My doc call day 4 - 4 weeks post the puree diet but I am thinking this is probably equiv to liquidisation right~?

Hi! Yes that's what I was told. I too am a bit confused because all suirgeonss post op diets are so different! From my understanding yes we lcan puree what we want to eat. But no lumps or chunls!? My mom had made me chicken Soup with sum achicken n veggies and she blended it up. Its a bit thick and some people told me I should hold off on it. But if I go by my suirgeons orders, technically I guess I really could! But to be safe I froze it instead and decided to wait because I'm so scared of ruining my stomach. So now my new found fav is Soups fr traders joe that is liquidy yet it tastes yummmmmy with some added cheese. Also makes it a little thicker to appear like real food hheehheee. 4 more days till soft foods for Me. And even though my doctor said it was ok, I'm gonna stick to liquidy stuff till I advance in 4 days ! Longest. 4 days!!! Take care and good luck! I wish they had like a general post op and pre op diet that everyone uses! So it won't be so confusing!

Wow, you have already lost 21 lbs? Great job!

Agree those liquids vs. purees can get confusing. Have you tried hot and sour Soup from your favorite local Chinese restaruant? Just strain out chunks. Same with Egg drop soup. Nummy. I counted as liquids but did not get a lot of Protein from this food.

Patience is always a good thing. Cheering for you!

I haven't tried those yet!! I love egg drop Soup? Do I still need to drain the egg?? I'm soooo ready for eggs and would. Enjoy that soooo much! I know u will probably said yes I still would have to drain it :( I only have 4 more days till I can officially have it so I can make it! But I will def try those soups! Anything to mix up the Soups I've been having ! Thank u!!!

I was told I could have anything that would fit through a strainer, egg drop Soup is great and only the green onions would need to be removed.

I made "egg drop soup" by using chicken broth, 1 egg, salt, pepper, & onion powder. I whipped it in the blender and then heated it in a pot. It was so good. (I had to do clears for 2 weeks, but today I start "thickquids" lol. I can add thicker things like yogurt and creamed Soups.< /p>

Yay!