Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain after surgery

I read another thread on here about the sleeve pain compared to gallbladder surgery pain, but i can't relate to that. I've read that it's hard to get up and down out of bed and that the incisions hurt. I had a c-section on 2007 and am wondering if anyone here can relate c/s pain to sleeve pain for me? I wasn't in bad shape after the c/s, I actually had no painkillers and took a shower the next day (was more scared of popping staples!). I'm still going to go through with my surgery, but I'd like to know what i'm in for!

thanks

nikki

I am a totaly baby and avoid pain at all costs. My DH laughs at me when I tell him I am a "tough" woman. Ha

So - I have had both a c-section and been sleeved. No comparision. Would have a sleeve surgery over rather than that c-section. I felt no pain from the surgery, really none. Some minor discomfort and could not sleep on my side for about a week. Only took my pain meds once and that was so I would sleep at night since my sleep patterns were switched.

My surgery was outpatient procedure and I was home that night. Never had a drain, catheder, pain pump or morphine. I believe your pain depends upon your surgeon. What is his normal procedure to minimize your discomfort? Tell surgeon up front you are concerned and what can he preauthorize to help aleviate your concern.

Good luck - I love my sleeve!

I, too had very, very little pain. I had my surgery and hernia repair 6/6/11. I did have a wicked backache, but suffer with Fibromyalgia and OA. I contribute the backache to those.

I think sometimes we can talk ourselves into things that we really do not want. If you are one of those people, I would reccomend that you try to think of happy thoughts, and try to block all and any negative ones out. You know you will be fine. You've born children. The sleeve surgery does not come ANYWHERE close to that pain.

Take care, keep us posted and THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS.

Valentina :grouphug:

I am a totaly baby and avoid pain at all costs. My DH laughs at me when I tell him I am a "tough" woman. Ha

So - I have had both a c-section and been sleeved. No comparision. Would have a sleeve surgery over rather than that c-section. I felt no pain from the surgery, really none. Some minor discomfort and could not sleep on my side for about a week. Only took my pain meds once and that was so I would sleep at night since my sleep patterns were switched.

My surgery was outpatient procedure and I was home that night. Never had a drain, catheder, pain pump or morphine. I believe your pain depends upon your surgeon. What is his normal procedure to minimize your discomfort? Tell surgeon up front you are concerned and what can he preauthorize to help aleviate your concern.

Good luck - I love my sleeve!

I too had very little pain but a LOT of nausea and just felt plain crappy for the first month or so. I had pain pills I was supposed to take every 6 hours or "as needed" and simply took one at bedtime to help me sleep a little better.

Being nauseous was a major concern of mine. I don't handle it well--never have. My surgeon put a "sea sick" patch behind my ear before I went into the OR. Whether it worked for me or I just BELIEVED it worked for me, I don't realy didn't care. I have absolutely NO nausea and still don't. My sleeve "winces" whenever I drink something, but I anticipate that getting better.

Happy Thoughts,

Valentina

I too had very little pain but a LOT of nausea and just felt plain crappy for the first month or so. I had pain pills I was supposed to take every 6 hours or "as needed" and simply took one at bedtime to help me sleep a little better.

Thanks for all the reassurance, ladies! This makes me feel better. I totally agree on the "happy thoughts" thing - I've done that before and it really is amazing how you can change your physical feelings but concentrating on them not being painful (kinda got that out right, lol).

I haven't asked my surgeon about pain management because it wasn't a concern until i read the posts on here. I will talk to him at my preop next Wednesday.

Thanks again, ladies!