Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Howdy I am Barb

Howdy I live in East TN and am going through the last 3 months of an insurance required medically supervised diet before I will have approval for my surgery. Hopefully, I will have it in October (just before the big eating holidays-what am I thinking). I would love to know if each of you have any regrets about your surgeries and if you had any complications you would like to share. I started out weighing 324 and have been trying to eat like I will have to after surgery and have gotten down to 287 today. Any information would be greatly appreciated from you both. thank you so much for letting me join and be a part of this healthy lifestyle change for us all.

Congrats on losing 37lbs!!! It takes hard work, determination & disclipline to lose weight and you should be very proud of what you've accomplished so far. The lessons learned IRT eating the proper foods will serve you well after you've been sleeved. In my final attempt to lose weight 'the old fashioned way' I saw a nutritionist for 8 months and really learned for the first time in my life how eating the proper foods really affects our health & well being. I ended up losing 60lbs with her, but gained back 40lbs when my lifelong food addiction kicked in. That wad in 2009/2010 and really forced me to face the fact that to lose the weight permanently, I was going to have to find a permanent solution.

Today is my 2 month surgiversary and I LOVE my sleeve! I had my surgery in Mexico for a myriad of reasons and experienced zero complications. I also had a medium sized hiatal hernia repaired at the time which cause a tiny bit of extra pain and difficulty in swallowing for the first week or so, but now, 2 months out, I feel great!

It's said on these boards over and over, but it's totally true that the bariatric surgeon only operates on your stomach and NOT your head. After you've been given this miraculous tool, it's completely up to you to use it properly and apply the lessons you're learning during your supervised diet. Now that I'm cleared for all foods, junk like chips and Cookies sometimes call to me. I'm not hungry in the slightest, but I WANT to eat them, and derive the pleasure of tasting yummy things. Even with a small tummy, it still takes willpower to resist the temptation. The positive of having a sleeve is that even if I do succumb to the craving, I can't binge the way I used to so it limits the damage. I had to face the fact that despite my denials, I was indeed a major food addict and emotional eater. I hit that wall about a week after surgery and experienced some serious regret and food mourning but then I put my big girl panties on, sucked it up and haven't looked back.

I took my 10 year old daughter to IHOP just this morning and she asked me if I missed eating like I used to. The obese me would have ordered stuffed french toast with whipped cream and strawberry topping, bacon, hashbrowns, 2 eggs and drank several cups of coffee with lots of cream. The new & improved me was honestly satisfied with 2 slices of bacon & half a slice of regular french toast. I sometimes miss the taste of all the other stuff, but it's not a major issue or something I dwell on. I feel so free from the chains of hunger and craving and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck on the rest of your pre-op journey!

what a great testomony and inspiration you have given me. thank you so much for your response and so quickly. I too am an emotional eater and am trying very hard to change the unhealthy habits i am accustom to. The idea of being able to go out to eat again is enlighting and a special treat i look forward too. I know my mind will be the worst part of this journey and you have given me some insight on how to start now to overcome those challenges. I look forward to more coorspondence and I too congratulate you on your remarkable progress. keep going you are worth it!!!!!

Congrats on losing 37lbs!!! It takes hard work, determination & disclipline to lose weight and you should be very proud of what you've accomplished so far. The lessons learned IRT eating the proper foods will serve you well after you've been sleeved. In my final attempt to lose weight 'the old fashioned way' I saw a nutritionist for 8 months and really learned for the first time in my life how eating the proper foods really affects our health & well being. I ended up losing 60lbs with her, but gained back 40lbs when my lifelong food addiction kicked in. That wad in 2009/2010 and really forced me to face the fact that to lose the weight permanently, I was going to have to find a permanent solution.

Today is my 2 month surgiversary and I LOVE my sleeve! I had my surgery in Mexico for a myriad of reasons and experienced zero complications. I also had a medium sized hiatal hernia repaired at the time which cause a tiny bit of extra pain and difficulty in swallowing for the first week or so, but now, 2 months out, I feel great!

It's said on these boards over and over, but it's totally true that the bariatric surgeon only operates on your stomach and NOT your head. After you've been given this miraculous tool, it's completely up to you to use it properly and apply the lessons you're learning during your supervised diet. Now that I'm cleared for all foods, junk like chips and Cookies sometimes call to me. I'm not hungry in the slightest, but I WANT to eat them, and derive the pleasure of tasting yummy things. Even with a small tummy, it still takes willpower to resist the temptation. The positive of having a sleeve is that even if I do succumb to the craving, I can't binge the way I used to so it limits the damage. I had to face the fact that despite my denials, I was indeed a major food addict and emotional eater. I hit that wall about a week after surgery and experienced some serious regret and food mourning but then I put my big girl panties on, sucked it up and haven't looked back.

I took my 10 year old daughter to IHOP just this morning and she asked me if I missed eating like I used to. The obese me would have ordered stuffed french toast with whipped cream and strawberry topping, bacon, hashbrowns, 2 eggs and drank several cups of coffee with lots of cream. The new & improved me was honestly satisfied with 2 slices of bacon & half a slice of regular french toast. I sometimes miss the taste of all the other stuff, but it's not a major issue or something I dwell on. I feel so free from the chains of hunger and craving and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck on the rest of your pre-op journey!

Hi - My name is Bridget, I live in the Nashville area. My date is next Monday, June 27! I'm supposed to be at the hospital at 5:30 am sharp! I'd love to keep in touch with folks on here who can support me and who I can support. One more week until my new life begins. :rolleyes:

Hi - My name is Bridget, I live in the Nashville area. My date is next Monday, June 27! I'm supposed to be at the hospital at 5:30 am sharp! I'd love to keep in touch with folks on here who can support me and who I can support. One more week until my new life begins. :rolleyes:

I hope your surgery went well today, Bridget! Stop in & let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it!