Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story

In March of 2006, I got the lap-band in Mexico. I worked it fairly well and lost from 257 to 160. I just seemed plagued with vomiting (something always stuck). My mother was dying in June of 2007. I stayed with her until her death. During the weeks leading up to her death and the weeks immediately following her death, I had new symptoms. I wasn't just vomiting. I was in great pain from the left side of my jaw to my shoulder to my rib cage (first when I took a breath and later constantly). I couldn't lie down because of the pain. Add to that not being able to eat solid food because of excruciating pain. I was surviving first on ice cream (until it even was painful to eat) and finally on Cokes. I vomited constantly. My PCP thought I was constipated and treated me for a week. I went to the ER many times (twice in the same day once) and was basically blown off. I would drive to the hospital or doctor's office and have no memory of doing so. I cried all the time. Finally after countless x-rays, MRIs, and CT scans, I called my fill doctor who was on vacation. While waiting for him to call me back, I was in the hospital once again. He called, we talked, and he called the ER doctors asking for all my tests. After several minutes, the ER doctor told my husband I was going to be transported by ambulance to my fill doctor's hospital. I refused; the ER doctor made my husband promise to put me in the car and drive me straight to the ER there, where my fill doctor would be waiting. To make a long story short, my band had eroded my stomach and I was, in my fill doctor's words, "a day away from raising daisies." I had a wicked infection that was spreading through my body, almost septic. I had a huge abcess on my spleen, one lung collapsed, and I had to have a transfusion before they could even go in to remove the band. Honestly, I don't remember much except lying down on one of the benches in the ER and praying I'd go to sleep and never wake. About my third day in the hospital, I joined the living. After eight days, I was released to go home. One of my sons told my husband, "Mom looks just like Grandmother did when she died." Welcome home!

Fast forward to November 2007 and once again I am in Mexico having VSG surgery. I had gained lots of weight...I weighed 227 the morning of the surgery. I don't know why, but I have been a terrible sleeve patient. Eating slider foods (in other words...crap), drinking 1-3 large chocolate cokes from Sonic (easy ice, of course) every day (900 calories right there!), ignoring the warnings to take my Vitamins, overeating to the point of vomiting, etc. The lowest I saw was 205.

Fast forward again to last summer. I was so sick that I could barely finish the school year (I teach). I was tired, depressed, in pain, etc. Trip to the same PCP to be diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and low Vitamin D. My son threatened me within an inch of my life if I didn't find a new doctor. So. I did. First I saw an ophthalmologist who thought I might have Sjogren's and sent me on to a rheumatologist who said I didn't have Sjogren's but ran bloodwork to see what might be the matter. He and my NEW PCP both agreed on fibromyalgia and low Iron. Only once did he mention that my problems might be connected to my poor diet, lack of vitamins, etc. SO necessary with the sleeve.

Final fast forward, I PROMISE. I decided to be my own advocate and stop making excuses and relying on doctors who know less than HALF of what I know about the sleeve. First thing I did...adios, Sonic. Next, I began Prilosec. Then I bought a Multi-Vitamin, B-complex, B-1, and B-12. Finally, I am back eating the way I know I should. Right now, I am religiously measuring everything. I'm pretty rigid: 3 meals and 2 Snacks. Breakfast, lunch, and the snacks never vary. dinner varies but must meet the requirement of having 30 grams of Protein and 200 calories. My whole day adds up to 700 calories with 88 grams of protein PLUS 64 ounces of Water. I plan on adding calcium citrate with D (and dropping my 50,000 ius of D3). Already I can tell a difference. I am sleeping and waking without difficulty. I have lost the brain fog. I even put on full make-up today! AND JEWELRY! I feel charged, energized, and positive.

Thanks for listening. Sorry I was so verbose, but I AM an English teacher and we never know how to say things succinctly! Hugs to all on this fabulous journey!

Wow! What a story! Reading your band experience makes me so mad. I was banded in 2007 and I know my regular doctor was completely clueless about how to treat me (I was given a scrip for 800 mg Motrin for pain once - WRONG!!). I am happy you are no longer in imminent danger. I am curious, have you found it difficult to turn around your eating habits at this point with the sleeve? You sertainly seem to have whipped yourself into shape.