Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Read this Complication on another board

I was on OH board and there was a discussion about if someone should go back to their original surgeon for revision.. someone replied that yes they will go back and they did after having this complication with the sleeve:

post Date: 11/28/10 5:12 am

Hi. I had my original VGB back in 1990 and did VERY well for about 15 years. Then I started feeling pinching and catching on my left side, but it didn't hurt too much, so I ignored it. Then I started developing a hernia just to the left of my incision scar. About a year later, it strangulated and I had to have emergency surgery. I weighed 345 at start of VGB, got down to 175, settled at 190 for the next 13 years. Then I guess my staples came loose (I know I kind of pushed the envelope, but I also know that sometimes the staples pull loose on their own). Anyway, I gained back 100 lbs to settle at 275.

Yes, I am going back to my original doctor because he does have the best reputation in his field for many counties around. Did he make a mistake? Maybe. Did I make some too? Yes. But I trust him to help me get back to where I was. I am going in on the 29th for a gastric bypass (RNY) and can't wait. I have felt like a failure for the last 4 years, but not now. I know my doctor has my best interests at heart and is not in this just for the money. I'm paying full price for the revision, but it's been so long since my first surgery...........it's ok with me. He is also going to take out my gall bladder and fix a hernia while he's in there.

Why don't you trust your surgeon? How long ago did you have your surgery? I think if I felt strongly enough about it, I would get a 'second' opinion and then go back and talk to my original surgeon with the results.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.

the original post link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/4280217/How-do-you-feel-about/

Anyone experienced this ??? Should it be something that terrifies me as am considering the sleeve soon?

This is not the same surgery. VGB is known to be very dangerous and a surgery that was wildly popular in the 90's (also known as stomach stapling). It consisted of a band and staples used to create the pouch, but essentially kept the stomach intact. Google the VGB and you can see what that looked like compared to the VSG.

wow!! THANK U SO MUCH HAVE BEEN mixing the both!! reading lots of short letters all day sometimes gets in the way! lol thanks again:)

Google the VGB and you can see what that looked like compared to the VSG.

Thanks for posting this. I follow this board as well as OH. I did not notice the VGB vs VSG either. So I googled VGB and was shocked at the pictures. It looks like the Band with a ton of staples.

Again, thanks for clarifying :)

My hubby's cousin had that done ... roughly 15-16 years ago. The week my hubby and I got married ... a little over 10 years ago... she died because she all the sudden had bleeding in the area they had operated on years before and they couldn't stop it. Unexplained...just happened. So scary!!! This was one of the reasons my hubby has been against any kind of bariatric surgery. Just recently he has started to support it and is now trying to help me research it and such. The sleeve isn't like that surgery and I don't think it is as dangerous.