Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To sleeve or not to sleeve...

Howdy all! I was banded 3/08 and I have maintained a 35 lb. weight loss. I am proud of what I have managed to do with this tool - but the LB has some serious limitations. And in my case, some very, un-fun issues that go with my band that I won't go into. Needless to say, my surgeon is the one who started this revision conversation. And no - he is a honest, nice man and is not looking to line his wallet further.

I should also say that I am not a negative person, but these questions may make it seem that way. I just want the truth (picture Tom Cruise here if you like).

So, on to my questions:

Do you LOVE your sleeve? I liked my band until recently when I learned NOT everyone who has had WLS suffers like me and my sister (also banded and living with the same darned issues) do.

Do you ever "throw up" with your sleeve?

What is eating out like for you now?

Are there any foods you cannot eat in moderation?

How long did it take you to re-introduce most foods?

I appreciate your candid answers. :rolleyes:

Do you LOVE your sleeve? I liked my band until recently when I learned NOT everyone who has had WLS suffers like me and my sister (also banded and living with the same darned issues) do. I do honestly love my sleeve. No regrets, no issues like I had with the band. Plus, the no hunger thing pretty much rocks my socks.

Do you ever "throw up" with your sleeve? Nope, never. Early out, I would take that "one last bite" and that one last bite would come up. But no wretching, no hurling, no true vomiting like what I experienced with the band.

What is eating out like for you now? Eating out is effortless now. I do share an entree and 2 sides with my 12 yr old, or I order a small entree or appetizer when I go out. With the band, I could tell you which restaurant bathroom stalls echoed the most because I was constantly puking up something that got stuck or didn't agree with me. I will say that I eat out on average 2-5 times per week at various functions, and with my girlfriends we have Breakfast out every Friday.

Are there any foods you cannot eat in moderation? Scrambled eggs still seem to hit my sleeve, and feel heavy, but I can eat them. I just choose to not eat them. I literally eat anything and everything. Steak, salad, ribs, chicken, tacos, sandwiches,sushi, nachos, Thai and Chinese foods, pizza, Pasta, all veggies, there really isn't anything that bothers me. I eat a very balanced, varied and nutrient dense diet now thanks to the sleeve. I don't eat pancakes, but waffles are okay. I can eat 3/4 of a eggo waffle with Syrup and Peanut Butter. I'm not a huge fan of biscuits either because they just take up a lot of room, and don't give me anything other than carbs.

How long did it take you to re-introduce most foods? I started introducing solid foods like baked chicken, steak and more dense foods around 2 months out. I couldn't eat much of it, but I could tolerate the foods. I did stick to mushy foods, chili, Beans, chicken/tuna/egg salad longer than most because it was easier to get my Protein from food sources since I could not tolerate Protein shakes/supplements.

A lot of band patients have issues. They just "accept" them because they think it's just part of the band experience. My mom is one of those bandsters. She's had her band for 3 years, and still technically needs to lose another 40 pounds but has been at the same weight for over a year now. By the statistics, she's a band success because she lost over 55% of her EW. Can't eat a lot of foods, gets stuck a lot, and sticks to mushy foods most days, can't get fills because even the smallest fill gives her the slimes and she can't eat. She also has terrible allergies and sinus issues and when she's having an attack she can't eat because the sinus drainage has filled up her pouch. Which I have found the same with the sleeve, but I can still eat, I just have to stick to a mushier diet than usual. Plus, I take Mucinex to resolve the sinus issues and that seems to help.