Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Issues pre-op what to do post-op?

The one big thing I am super worried about is my eating and making sure I get enough in after surgery. I have MAJOR food issues! LOL I am the pickyest person I know and everyone I know will say the same thing! LOL I always say, I don't know how I got this big when I'm so pickey but I do know, because I like all the CRAP! LOL

I don't eat fruit expect banana's every once in awhile

Veggies I will eat are - corn, cauliflower, green Beans, peas, carrots, lettuce

I only like yellow cheese (cheddar, american) except parmesan(sp) (no cottage cheese or string cheese)

I do like tuna but I don't "love it"

The only fish I eat is breaded, fried flakey white fish

I eat mostly beef and pork (not chops)

LOVE potatos (not sweet)

oatmeal I will eat the maple and brown sugar but thats it

I have found that I can do the Protein Shakes with milk (1%) from GNC - the Cookies n cream is the only one I've tried thus far but I'm sure I will like the chocolate

So as you can see, there isn't much for "good foods" that I eat and that is mostly what I see people listing as what they eat! I want this and NEED this surgery but I am scared that I will be that crazy % that doesn't "do good" because I have food issues!

My best advice to you would be to try a bunch of different recipes to see if you can incorporate more "good foods". My boyfriend swore up and down he didn't eat seafood and never would. Now he will chow down on salmon, it all depends on how I prepare it. I had to do the same thing with certain veggies like broccoli. I HATE broccoli but I've found that if I add some different spices and seasonings, I could tolerate it.

I've also tried taking things that I like that may not have been healthy and try to make them healthy. For example, you said you only eat the maple and brown sugar. Instead of using sugar to sweeten it, use Splenda, and if you make it with milk, use fat free or 1%.

I've noticed, and from what I've read from other people, that my tastes have changed and that might happen with you, too. So your body just may adapt to healthier food.

Good luck!

Well, you are not alone. I'm super picky as well, and my "fave" foods look pretty much like yours. But, I can tell you that nothing tastes as good as being this thin feels! ! !

You really just have to suck it up and eat what your body needs, not what your mind tells you that you want. Harsh, yes, but it's true. I never ate seafood before VSG, NEVER. I think catfish is the most disgusting food on the planet, and had this major mental hang up about fishing floating around, breathing in poop infested Water, HEY it's my food issue! ! ! BUT, you know what, I figured out that I could get 1/2 - 2/3 of my Protein for the whole day by eating a couple of crab legs, or 2-3 sea scallops. Plus, finding recipes that I found appealing to my flavor profile preferences really helped. I don't like Old Bay seasoning, but I do like Cajun and Creole seasoning so when I make my baked crab cakes, I use those seasoning instead of Old Bay.

When you get sleeved, all these mental hang ups about food might change because things you liked pre-op, may not be pleasant post-op. I still can't eat pork all that well. On the cheeses, I only ate yellow cheeses too, but you know what, those 3grams of protein per Laughing cow wedges made it worth eating 2-3 of those with an egg to get my protein in. They make different flavors, and believe me, you're going to want variety post-op or you'll just be miserable.

I personally had to pull on my big girl panties and suck it up. I still don't eat tomatoes, or a lot of fruits, but I do eat green veggies and salads. Your colon will thank you for changing things up. You'd be surprised at what you can conjure up when your body needs food to survive, when you really don't have the option to be picky. Right now, you have the luxury of being picky, being able to only consume 4oz of food gives a different perspective on food all together. You can also check out the recipe forum on here as we've all contributed some sort of recipe that got us through those tough food times. I also stick to veggies that are below 50 on the glycemic index chart to keep my carbs low. I love mashed potatoes, but they're a slider food, and I'm not getting a huge amount of nutrients from them.

I'll also let ya know that once I started eating seafood, and more chicken, more non-fat plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream, my good cholesterol went up considerably which is something my surgeon really wanted me to focus on. I didn't have high "bad" cholesterol, but he felt my good cholesterol could improve, and it has because I decided to branch out, try new foods, different preparations, and honestly I eat to feed and fuel my body.

Well, you are not alone. I'm super picky as well, and my "fave" foods look pretty much like yours. But, I can tell you that nothing tastes as good as being this thin feels! ! !

You really just have to suck it up and eat what your body needs, not what your mind tells you that you want. Harsh, yes, but it's true. I never ate seafood before VSG, NEVER. I think catfish is the most disgusting food on the planet, and had this major mental hang up about fishing floating around, breathing in poop infested Water, HEY it's my food issue! ! ! BUT, you know what, I figured out that I could get 1/2 - 2/3 of my Protein for the whole day by eating a couple of crab legs, or 2-3 sea scallops. Plus, finding recipes that I found appealing to my flavor profile preferences really helped. I don't like Old Bay seasoning, but I do like Cajun and Creole seasoning so when I make my baked crab cakes, I use those seasoning instead of Old Bay.

When you get sleeved, all these mental hang ups about food might change because things you liked pre-op, may not be pleasant post-op. I still can't eat pork all that well. On the cheeses, I only ate yellow cheeses too, but you know what, those 3grams of protein per Laughing cow wedges made it worth eating 2-3 of those with an egg to get my protein in. They make different flavors, and believe me, you're going to want variety post-op or you'll just be miserable.

I personally had to pull on my big girl panties and suck it up. I still don't eat tomatoes, or a lot of fruits, but I do eat green veggies and salads. Your colon will thank you for changing things up. You'd be surprised at what you can conjure up when your body needs food to survive, when you really don't have the option to be picky. Right now, you have the luxury of being picky, being able to only consume 4oz of food gives a different perspective on food all together. You can also check out the recipe forum on here as we've all contributed some sort of recipe that got us through those tough food times. I also stick to veggies that are below 50 on the glycemic index chart to keep my carbs low. I love mashed potatoes, but they're a slider food, and I'm not getting a huge amount of nutrients from them.

I'll also let ya know that once I started eating seafood, and more chicken, more non-fat plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream, my good cholesterol went up considerably which is something my surgeon really wanted me to focus on. I didn't have high "bad" cholesterol, but he felt my good cholesterol could improve, and it has because I decided to branch out, try new foods, different preparations, and honestly I eat to feed and fuel my body.

I was wondering, I have heard a lot about Greek yogurt, I tried that and I cant stand the taste, I love Yoplait yogurt light, is those ok to eat?

I was wondering, I have heard a lot about Greek yogurt, I tried that and I cant stand the taste, I love Yoplait yogurt light, is those ok to eat?

There is a lot you can do with Greek yogurt to change the flavor. I mainly use it as a substitute for sour cream, and in my casseroles. But, for sweet flavor like the Yoplait without the carbs you can add sugar-free pudding powder, the white chocolate makes greek yogurt taste like cheese cake, and it doesn't take a lot of the pudding powder. You can also use sugar-free syrups like the ones they use in coffees/cappucinos, or you can mix Ranch dressing powder in and add it in tuna, chicken to make chicken/tuna salad. I can't eat it by itself and I have to mix it in stuff. I ate the Yoplait light stuff, but hated all the carbs even though it's typically from the fruit.< /p>

I really like Greek yogurt with Stevia and I buy frozen blueberries. I put them in the microwave for a few seconds and they get all juicy. Mix it all together and it's like a dessert for me. It's very yummy. some people put sf jelly in there too. There are a lot of things you can do to make Greek yogurt very good. And they do make already flavored ones, but they have more carbs.

Tiffy is right though. the sf cheesecake pudding makes it taste very good!

There is a good chance your tastes will change after surgery. Many people say things they never liked before, they really like now.