Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting super anxious.....(Long)

My surgery date is set. I am becoming a sleeve sistah on July 14th. I am determined and I know that this is what I need to do...... I am 5'5" and weigh in at 300lbs. If you looked at my medical chart, you would be impressed, all my numbers are great, with the exception that I am 300lbs. I am healthy as a horse, a fat horse that is..... I work out like a mad woman, I train for triathlon, I lift 2 times a week, and do cardio 6-7 days a week.....spin, swim, C25K....you name it... I am in great physical shape and am healthy, except that I am 300 lbs....and am 5 feet and half tall??? So can you guys imagine what I could do physically if I weighed less???? I mean, let's all face it, anyone who is heavy, is STRONG....it takes a ton of strength to lug around my 300lbs! So here I go.....I am ready and I am ready to be re-born! I am not a poor food choice eater, I don't graze, I don't have a sweet tooth, I eat mainly Protein and healthy fats (but let's face it I am a severe volume eater - I can down a 16oz rib-eye as if it was air, or last night I had 1 1/2 lbs of skirt steak....I love my meat......I also love a good beer after working out, or a vodka soda......I know these are empty calories...but hey! right!? So I am so ready for this, I really am....I am married and my husband is also a big man...we were both to have surgery at the same time....he's backed out and going to try "on his own" again....whatever..... I have a few fears: Will I lose my husband over this? We will have been married for 10 years in November. We dated for 5 years before getting married.....we have a great friendship and he's actually being super supportive and excited for me. he knows that I have done everything "right" (calorie control, high protein, medication, naturpathic, exercise, etc.....) he knows I need to do this....but at the same time....we have our best times and our entertainment is BBQ-ing, or fixing dinner, or you all know...basically revolves around food.....we both are good cooks, and love to experiment! Today I started thinking.......should I go for a Bypass vs. Sleeve? And then the old hauntings came back in....with a bypass I would have a larger stomach, and would lose weight due to mal-absorption and some restriction....but eventually, once I lost weight, I could handle managing my weight....you know like when I was in HS, and I could manage being around 180-190....those 10lbs were manageable....but my 150lbs are insane..... I am going to drive myself crazy...I have these ideas of "what if this doesn't work for me?" Seriously...I have tried everything, and my PCP knows and vouges for it, which is why he's suggesting and supporting my surgery.....but I can drive myself insane.... Can anyone relate? What are your thoughts? How did you all deal with all the fears, demons, etc.? I'm going to Dr. Aceves on July 14th. I am going to do this. I just would like some feedback on if this is the right type of surgery, should I wait for plication, should i go for bypass instead...you guys all know....all the same fears forever..... I am so excited, I feel like a kid before Christmas....but at the same time I am super anxious and scared...HELP!

naw, do the sleeve! : )

you will still be able to eat most everything that you enjoy - just in much smaller quantities.

I totally understand about life circling around food. It does get frustrating at times - not gonna fib about that! It does get easier and the amount I can eat has become a big joke with family and close friends. My youngest daughter said today that she likes it cause when I say I only want a bite or a sip ... I really mean it! : )

You do sound like a work out machine! You will be in amazing shape after surgery and reaching your goal!

Congrats!

With the way you workout, the sleeve and you are going to compliment each other well. Best of luck.

I know what you mean about relationship revolving around food. It was really hard for me the first 4 weeks post op but it does seem to be easier now. I think that I have changed where the volume of food I eat doesn't matter. I take my time cutting my Protein talking and eating. The company and conversations are still great but I am just not shoveling food down my throat. But I won't down play it, you will have to change your mentality. It's no longer about food it really is about enjoying that 2 oz's of food, the flavors, and the company.

Thanks all. I think it's just pre surgery jitters.

I'll keep you all posted on progress, etc.......

Thanks for the support!

CKnorte - I absolutely feel your fear! I am less than 10 days pre-op and am having similar thoughts cycle through my mind. What if it doesn't work? What if I'm the one person who doesn't lose weight with the sleeve? What if I lose a pathetic amount and then stall permanently? What if what if what if ... do I really understand that there will not be any french fries or ice cream in my life? Am I prepared for this? I believe that I am as prepared as I can reasonably be, but that doesn't stop the thoughts. All I can do is hope; follow the rules, seek help when I need it, and trust that it works.

I think you will do just fine as well with all the exercising you do. It's quite normal to have last minute fears and doubts but just think how great you are going to look and feel. You will still be able to enjoy eating with your husband, only thing is you will need much less and can share with him. It all seems such an issue at first but it really isn't after a while. I still have good old English fish and chips at the seaside - only thing is I have a bit off everyone elses and that's enough. They don't mind as they would only stuff themselves for the sake of it otherwise!

All will be fine. The sleeve is great.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x