Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux??

My husband and I have had the lapband about 7 1/2 months now. I'm on my 3rd fill. He's on his 4th. He is curious to know whether anyone has complained about acid reflux since the band??

He did not have this problem before the band but, now does. Does anyone have this problem?? What helps?

Also, he has a hard time keeping liquids down, but, has no problem with solids?? I thought that was strange

Hi Denise,

You describe an odd situation, indeed! I can't answer about reflux, since I didn't have any trouble before being banded and have had none since. But I wonder about your husband not being able to tolerate liquids? !?

It sounds like something he might want to call the doctor about. Especially if the two things came on at about the same time, the reflux and the inability to handle liquids...I'd be worried that something was amiss with the band.

Good luck and please let us know how it's going!

From everything I've read, reflux post-band is always due to the band being too tight.

The fact that he is having problems with liquids as well says to me he is too tight.

It is funny that you mention he has less problems with food - that is the first time I've heard anyone else mention that. I feel that food goes down easier for me than liquids, as well.

My hypothesis is that the food, being solid, is easier for the esophagus to push down, where as liquids present less resistance, so do not accomodate the pushing down as well - they tend to spread out more. Just my guess, but if you push a glass down on a piece of steak it pushes down... but if you push down on a puddle of liquid, it disperses.

Yet another non-scientific guess by yours truly... lol

Anyway, he sounds too tight to me. Reflux is a MAJOR deal - don't let him ignore it. Have him get that remedied immediately, or there is only worse to come.

Wow - this is weird because when I came on here I intended to post about the same thing. For the past 2 days I have had some serious heartburn. Never had it pre-op and really didn't have it until 2 days ago. I don't know if it's from the band or if it's just me - I can tolerate liquids just fine. I have had 2 fills and rarely if EVER feel any restriction so I am kind of curious as to this being band related or not. I have been taking TUMS and if that doesn't work I will go back to taking the Prevacid that I was given post surgery. Never needed before but kind of glad that I have it now.

Little Miss Reflux, reporting in for duty!

I tried all the Rx's and then, all of a sudden, couldn't deal with one more day in that condition. I had the band emptied. Dr. Kuri offered to remove MOST of the saline, leaving me with some restriction, but I decided I wanted relief. I had the band emptied. The reflux ended IMMEDIATELY! And I gained 20 pounds. Now, I'm working on finding the right place. He filled me again, but it may still be a bit much.

My understanding (always subject to error) is that pre-op reflux is usually improved by the band...but, post-op reflux is because the band is too tight.

BTW, the reason I couldn't deal with one more day was that i found some online photos of what reflux looks like. I'll see if I can find them again.

Sue

To anyone who is having reflux symptoms and is reluctant to have an unfill...this MAY be what you've got going on inside:

http://www.endoskopischer-atlas.de/o09e.htm

thank you so much for your responses. He did just recently get a 4th adjustment. (2 weeks ago)He had it done in the afternoon because he was tight in the mornings and loosened up in the afternoon, when he had the 3rd it didn't take because of this. They may have tightened down to much to compensate for it.

Lioness

I don't know when you have heartburn, but if it is in the morning, I had a similar problem. I asked my nurse who had the lapband about 2 years ago and she asked me how close to bedtime I ate. I told her within two hours. and she said that was my problem. I was going to bed before the food left my pouch and it was just sitting there while I slept (I wasn't feeling heartburn in my sleep) then when I got up it would cause the heartburn. At the time, it was my 2nd adjustment. After about 2-3 weeks when my band loosened I didn't have that problem anymore. Eating late has been my biggest problem mainly for work schedule reasons.........and from eating out of depression late at night because of that workplace lol

I forgot to tell you Alexandra I like your new picture!!!

I read on another post that you had to have surgery.......what kind of surgery did you have? if I might be nosey

Thanks, Denise! That's my older daughter in the pictire with me. My younger one had enough face time, I decided. :D

I haven't had surgery since being banded last summer. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else? Or maybe that's the surgery I was talking about? :)

A stomach virus had been going on at my husband's work and that was causing his severe heartburn we found out. (Several people complained of severe heartburn) Just to be on the safe side though, he is going for a band check up

Before my surgery I had acid reflux and heartburn all the time. In the last 7 years I never went to bed with out taking an acid reducer. Since the surgery I haven't had either. I told this to my fill doctor and he said "didn't they tell you that that cures acid reflux?" (by the way he's not the doctor that did the surgery).

He also said that if I started experiencing heartburn or acid reflux, I should call right away because that could mean a slippage.

Now I was so excited that my acid reflux was cured that I've been talking to my husband about getting a band too. Not that he wouldn't like to lose some weight, but he has horrible acid reflux and a hiatial (sp?) hernia. I was thinking that maybe having it would help him, but from listening to your stories, I'm afraid it might make it worse. His doctor doesn't recommend the surgery for the hernia itself, because he says sometimes it doesn't work and opens back up again.

Any thoughts?

Also, our insurance wouldn't cover the band for me, is there any chance they would cover it for his problems?

Wow, lots of us with experience on the reflux front. I've had it since banding last August. Dr. said it would go away -- it does. But when I had a second fill, it came back...and again, it got better. I'm careful about what I eat at night to make sure it doesn't hit in the middle of the night. Yuck. Dr. recommended Gaviscon, which works well. Also have had success with Pepcid, on the recommendation of another bandster.

Very interesting comment about your husband having a fill during the time of day when he's more restricted. Haven't heard that before. (Timing the fill to daily restriction fluctuations.) Like a lot of people, my restriction varies by time of day. Both fills have been early afternoon...sometimes that's a tight time of day, sometimes not. Depends on the day!

Elizabeth

08-28-03