Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast Biopsy

Hi everybody I need some folks "personal experiences" advice.

I am scheduled to be banded on 5/19. But yesterday I found a palpable lump in my breast. I have made an appointment to have a screening mammogram Monday. But I am going to call my PCP tomorrow because I am sure it will need to be biopsied.

Now I know that 80% of all lumps are benign. There is absolutely ZERO history of breast cancer in my family. Although I know it has to start somewhere. So I am somewhat anxious to know something but not in a total panic.

My question is have any of ya'll had a biopsy and how do you think it would have impacted your recovery from banding? Or anything else that you think that I might need to know.

I hate to cancel my lapband after fighting for nearly a year to get it.

So I am just seeking others thoughts.

Thanks ever so kindly,

Myra

I was banded in April last year and had biopsies on both breasts in July. Benign Fibroadenomas. Whew. It was scary, but I was more anxious to know for sure it was what they expected. It was. But can I just say "OUCH!!!!"? They give you those little ice packs for a reason. I was a good bit sore, and the ice packs were super helpful. I wore a soft cotton bra and tucked them down in there, wrapped on cloth-like paper, and ahhhh!

Nothing about my band impacted the mammograms, the ultrasounds, the biopsies. They saw my surgery scars and knew I had been through some type of laporoscopic surgery but had no idea about my band till I told them (the doc and the nurses there in the room). No problem.

I say just schedule it. Leave your band surgery date, give at least a week or two to recover, then do the biopsy. Or if you can get the biopsy in before banding, then it's only one less thing to worry about after your band surgery.

My boobs were sore, for sure...oh...I just thought about how tender your port area will be. That might be uncomfortable, especially if the doc has to press around or lean on you to get into the biopsy area. Other than that, you really should be fine. Oh...I just thought, too about how I had to lay on the table kind of on my side and twisted with my arm over my head...that's a port soreness issue too.

Heck, I'm talking out of my ear here. It really depends, but I see no reason to put off your biopsy for long at all. Unless you find a change in the lump, then don't wait.

Let us know what gets scheduled! Don't put off your band surgery though. No way!!! :D

The only issue that I can think of is if you go on to have a stereotactic biopsy. For a stereotactic biopsy, you need to lay on your stomach for about 30 minutes or so. (Go to google images and search 'stereotactic breast biopsy') You may be a bit sore, especially at the port site.

Since you have a palpable mass, there is a good chance you would be a candidate for an ultrasound guided biopsy, for which you lay on your back.

Now of course, the mammogram and/or ultrasound may show you do not need a biopsy at all. Keep us informed, and good luck!

A thanks shoutout to the best of me and Dr. Hekier. I will stick with the plan.

Dr. Hekier I'm a Texarkana gal moved to Dallas. I sure miss working at St. Michaels. Left in 96 so my husband could go to UTA.

Thanks again folks.

Myra

Hi Myra ~ I don't have personal experience with this, but just wanted you to know I'm praying for you. The closet I can come is last year my mom had to have a biopsy and we all worried a little too much for nothing. We do have a history of breast cancer in our family and this has reminded me of my script my PCP wrote for me to get my baseline done. Maybe I should go b4 my surgery? :D

I would probably keep my band date unless someone forced me otherwise. The road has been a bumpy one to get to this point and from what Kathy has said, it shouldn't affect the band. Definitely keep us posted!!!

Went for a diagnostic mammogram yesterday and guess what.

MY LUMP WAS AN ARTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was palpating a small section of an artery. YIPEEEE!

Am I crazy or what.

M

What a relief!!! Its OK. I gave up doing self breast exams because everything I felt was a lump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on your lapband surgery.

woot what great news !

My mil just had one done then had to redo it :second: because they found lumps but then had to go deeper [ouch] but all turned out ok as yours did :)

Glad you got good news also

I'm 44 years old and have only had one mammogram. It hurt so badly, and left my breasts to covered with yellow-y bruises that I swore I'd never have another one. I realize that I need to have regular mammograms but I just can't make myself go through that again.

I'd like to know how other people's mammograms were. Surely not everyone went through the kind of pain I did. Who would ever do it again? What kind of doctor would recommend it? I felt like the mammogram was actually causing damage to my breast tissue - and the bruising kind of confirmed that. What's up with mammograms? Is there another alternative?

I hate having them done, but they are uncomfortble, not really painful. And I don't think I've ever had any visible bruising. I go in faithfully every 18 months or so.

Mvpo, I'm so glad you got good news! Good luck with your band surgery and hope you have a smooth recovery.

Emily

Donna B, I'm thinking whoever did your mammogram didn't do it properly? I found a great facility where I have mine done and they are as nice and gentle...very experienced boob-grabbers, those gals. No, it isn't pleasant, but it doesn't HURT and it sure doesn't bruise. Find a Radiology Center place...they do loads of them and usually have it down-pat. Ouch for you! I hope your next one is better. Give it a shot...you need to get your mamo!!! (lady in my church is going through chemo and radiation because she put off her mams, didn't have time, didn't want to go, found a lump, and by then it was a much more complicated treatment. I know she regrets not going and catching it early. She'll recover, but it sure ain't easy now with no hair and getting sick to her stomach for days after her treatments. Cancer is no fun. I'd risk bruising. I'm sorry, I just felt so compelled to say that. She's just a few years older than you are)

Oh! And Mypo...I'm so relieved for you! Aren't you glad it was something silly?!!!! Better safe than sorry. Do your monthly breast self-exams! (note to self....I'm so bad about letting that slip....eeek. gotta go palpate):D

Went for a diagnostic mammogram yesterday and guess what.

MY LUMP WAS AN ARTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was palpating a small section of an artery. YIPEEEE!

Am I crazy or what.

M

Myra ~ You are so silly and always make me smile. :biggrin1: I am just THRILLED to hear that all is well....I knew it would be. :clap2:

I have a great mammogram story for y'all. I have one of my nipples pierced. I live in Omaha, NE, and I guess they don't see too many so-called "mature" women with a nipple piercing. I could tell the tech was at a loss for words, but I didn't say a thing. Then she asks could the ring be removed. I said yes but why was that necessary? So she replies, "Well, we have to put a nipple marker there." I guess the ring wasn't big enough for them! LOL! I go each year around my birthday for my mammogram and my pap smear. Kind of a birthday present to myself.

SO sorry to hear you have this worry. Most of the time it is benign. Fibroids etc that get worse with periods and caffiene.

I am also having a biopsy done in a few weeks, but of my uterus.

So I pray for you too as I can relate to how frightening it is.

I JUST READ THE REST OF THE THREAD, I had just read the first post..lol

YIPPPEEE!! Great feeling when it's nothing!! Good for you for being so vigilant about your breat exams.