Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice-may be too tight

Hello everyone. I had 8cc in my band and had started to be able to eat a lot more so I just had a fill of 1cc 2 days ago. I was able to drink a small sip in the office before I left however I noted on the way home that with more Fluid there was much resistance to it going down. When I tried to eat it was very slow and laborious and yes I did get sick. In the past I sometimes did get sick for a while after a fill so I am now wondering what to do. I have been having reflux at night. How much I can eat depends on the food. It takes about 1/2 hour to eat an individual Greek yogurt and I find I can not eat till at least 9:30 in the morning. On the other hand I was able to eat about a cup of Soup when taken slowly. I tried more dense foods like chicken and vegetables and could eat about 1/4 cup. I also note that different clinics have different recommendations after a fill. If the Water in the office goes down then it is business as usual but I noted on other posts that some clinics gradually progress the diet. I am wondering if more time will help or if I should book an appointment for a bit of an unfill. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I have not experienced this degree of difficulty before.

Not being able to drink Clear Liquids certainly would raise a red flag for me. I haven't experienced any reflux, but have heard of that being a sign of being too tight. My doc request liquids the remainder of the day of a fill. I personally, as long as I could get in enough liquid, would wait a bit longer than two days before I decided on getting any Fluid removed. You mentioned you "got sick" when you ate right after the fill, so there could be some irritation that needs a day or so to subside. Good Luck and best wishes! :)

Hello everyone. I had 8cc in my band and had started to be able to eat a lot more so I just had a fill of 1cc 2 days ago. I was able to drink a small sip in the office before I left however I noted on the way home that with more Fluid there was much resistance to it going down. When I tried to eat it was very slow and laborious and yes I did get sick. In the past I sometimes did get sick for a while after a fill so I am now wondering what to do. I have been having reflux at night. How much I can eat depends on the food. It takes about 1/2 hour to eat an individual Greek yogurt and I find I can not eat till at least 9:30 in the morning. On the other hand I was able to eat about a cup of Soup when taken slowly. I tried more dense foods like chicken and vegetables and could eat about 1/4 cup. I also note that different clinics have different recommendations after a fill. If the Water in the office goes down then it is business as usual but I noted on other posts that some clinics gradually progress the diet. I am wondering if more time will help or if I should book an appointment for a bit of an unfill. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I have not experienced this degree of difficulty before.

I had a similar situation I was too tight nothing could get down I vomit every day drinking barely I wemt got unfil yestwrday qnd I feel greqt I was 9.25 so he took out the 25 I lost 4lounds since monday because of not.eqting go with ur gut wirh what u can and cant.tolerqte

Keep in mind you should not be gauging whether or not you need a fill based on how much you can eat. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything or control your portions. That will always be your job and why it's important you stick to band sized portions.

What the band is supposed do is keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. This what should decide whether or not you need a fill- how well your hunger is controlled.

I agree with Catfish, your stomach is likely swollen from the fill then likely further irritated from eating too soon after. I would go on liquids for a day or two then gradually work back to real food. If you're then still having the same problems, call your doctor and discuss a small unfill.

Best wishes.

Thank you both for responding. I think I will go easy and monitor the situation over the next week. Congrats to both of you on how well you are doing with your weight loss!

Keep in mind you should not be gauging whether or not you need a fill based on how much you can eat. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything or control your portions. That will always be your job and why it's important you stick to band sized portions.

What the band is supposed do is keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. This what should decide whether or not you need a fill- how well your hunger is controlled.

I agree with Catfish, your stomach is likely swollen from the fill then likely further irritated from eating too soon after. I would go on liquids for a day or two then gradually work back to real food. If you're then still having the same problems, call your doctor and discuss a small unfill.

Best wishes.

This topic comes up so often you should just use this comment(minus catfish) as a template. Or do you already? B)

Hi,

don't forget your swollen you may need a few days to take it easy. eating slower isn't necessarily yhe issue . more important can you keep it down I may wait some time to see if things do not get better call your dr.

I too was too tight and couldn't eat my normal mushy healthy foods. But my doctor has me on liquids for two days after a fill because you are swollen. And then if you vomited too that may cause swelling. Drink a lot of fluids and try food in a day or two. If still reflux and not able to eat mashies easily, then I would recommend a slight unfilled. It worked well for me;)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate hearing your experiences and it has given me the confidence to give it a bit more time and to go easy in the meantime. This evening already I think I am feeling some improvement and will keep everyone posted on what happens in the next week. Thank you for being so supportive.

This topic comes up so often you should just use this comment(minus catfish) as a template. Or do you already? B)

As I was reading this, I thought the same thing.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate hearing your experiences and it has given me the confidence to give it a bit more time and to go easy in the meantime. This evening already I think I am feeling some improvement and will keep everyone posted on what happens in the next week. Thank you for being so supportive.

This journey is defiantly a learning experience. Glad you feeling some improvement. We are all in this together.

Mis73 I think you missed the point. What the band is suppose to do or not do is not the issue.

I know the band is a tool but when it is properly adjusted things are much easier to manage.

Rcz1966 I hope you feel better soon.