Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain When I Eat.

I had a fill a few weeks ago. Since the fill I am having trouble eating alot of foods. I would chew for long periods of time but yet when I swallow it is so painful going thru the band. I am not sure if I am too tight and need to have some taken out. Foods that are suppose to be easy to swallow will give me pain. Right now I eat mostly Soups and moisty foods and some chicken..but sometimes the chicken goes down no problem..other times it hurts. I get up in the mornings have a cup of coffee I am fine, then I drink a Protein Shake and it causes a heaviness in my chest and light pain going down. by lunch i can eat Soup and dinner i can eat a full meal but it has to be very light. I am worried its too tight, but this is the first time I have actually been restricted on my food intake, so getting some taken out will probably set me back to eating too much..

It sounds like it is too tight. I'd make an appointment with your surgeon because being too tight can lead to slips.

Keep in mind, the band is not supposed to restrict your food intake. At all. It's not supposed to physically stop you from eating anything nor is it supposed to make you feel full. The only thing the band is supposed to do is make you feel satisfied with less food for longer periods of time. Satisfied simply means no longer physically hunger. It doesn't mean full nor does it mean you can't eat anymore. That's one of the reasons it's so important to stick to a cup or less of food per meal, because when your band is at the right fill amount, you'll be satisfied with that amount of food. Sticking to cup assures we don't eat beyond the point we're no longer physically hungry.

kind of figured I was too tight..the burping is crazy..i drink by straw now to cut down on some of the burping. As soon as the office opens I will give them a call..Another thing is my office is 2 hrs away, so another reason I am reluctant sometimes to having to go more than my once a month fill..but I am leaving for a cruise next week and hate to be in the middle of the ocean and my band goes into over drive.

just wondering off topic..can stress cause tightness with the band?

What foods are causing the pain?

mostly meats..chicken pork..havent had fish and im not going to touch beef, lol im sure that will give me a go around trying to swallow

that does sound like you are too tight. Try mushies for a day or two and see if the irration goes down. I have heard that meats can be hard to pass for some people.

i did Soup for 3 days and tried to build back up to solid foods, but still having issues with some foods..im waiting on the dr office to open to see what they say. im aready preparing they will make me come in to take out some.

yes more than likely they will. I always get nervous when I have a fill.

just wondering off topic..can stress cause tightness with the band?

Yes, at least for me, feelings of stress do make my band feel tighter.

When I know that my level of stress is elevated, such as while I am driving, I know that my band feels tighter...and I sometimes can't even sip Water comfortably when I feel that way.