Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Menopause. :(

I have had my band since 2008. Had to have many unfills due to acid reflux, I now have 5.5 in my band, I started out with 7.0 in my band. Well to make a long story short, I have gained 22 pounds back, I have restriction which is good I think, after not eating much and some exercise the weight has not come off... About a month ago I realized I'm in menopause with the sweats, depression and everything that goes along with menopause... The weight gain is from this nasty menopause... What do I do???? I have good restriction and still gaining weight! My doctor seems to think I'm crazy? Anyone with this problem?

HRT!!! Yes, i know it carries some risk, but i was soooo miserable going through a radiation induced menopause. I am also using testosterone cream. I have NO plans to stop either any time soon, especially since my menopause occurred at 43.

I was majorly depressed, had foul hot sweats, very disturbed sleep, rock bottom libido, was losing my fitness by the week, had ostopaenia (disvovered when i broke a rib adjusting the knob on a spin bike) and really scary confusion and brain fog, not to mention uncontrollable sugar cravings.

Any weight gain? If I have restriction with the band, why am I not losing weight? I eat very little everyday! Not to mention, I eat health foods, very health, I might cheat 1 time a week. And that is a small amount... :(

Its hard to say - I was having treatment for cancer which caused the menopause and I lost a lot of weight throughout that - about 10kg, taking my BMI down to 18 for a while there. I did regain that, mostly due to stuffing my face with sugar - but I managed to get it under control before I got heavier than before my diagnosis. Its been much much much more difficult to keep weight off since I went through menopause. So although I have finished menopause at much the same weight that I was say, two years ago, I definitely did not finish at the weight I started! And I think I would have eventually gained that weight anyway.

Also, until I started on the testosterone, i definitely detected that the weight was going on around my belly! I have never been apple shaped, always been slimmer thorugh the middle and had larger hips and thighs and that was definitely changing - still had the hips and thighs but was getting a belly too - OMG, not cool! Hormonal treatment has returned my body to its normal shape.

I believe that any weight gain through menopause is due to bad eating habits.

I may or may not be menopausal. I had a hysterectomy last year but I still have my ovary(only one) and I am not sure if it is functioning or not. I get the occasional hot flush but far more cold flushes. I have no idea what a libido is , I may have had one once but that was a long time ago. I used to have a brilliant memory , I could watch the first 5 seconds of a TV show and remember the whole thing, these days I know I've seen it before but it comes back to me slowly. I don't think I'm moody but my kids might beg to differ. I have been getting quite bad palpitations - I have just been for blood tests to try to find the cause so I'm not sure if I can blame those on menopause yet or not.

I have gained a couple of kgs since the beginning of the year. Is that because of menopause? Well it would be nice if I could blame that but realistically I think it is because I am eating more junk. I haven't been working much so I'm at home bored and surrounded by temptation.

I think what you need to do is be honest with yourself. Make a note of what you are eating. You can use a site like my fitness pal or just write it down or even take photo's. You will probably be surprised. It is quite likely that odd Snacks have crept in here or there and the calories soon add up.

Good luck, hope you get back on track soon.

I need someone to kick my a@@e and get me back on track.

To Jachut, I'm glad you are so much better:). I just started biodentical hormones two weeks ago and the night sweats and hot flashes are gone.. I'm sleeping a little better now. I hope the weight comes off as well. My eating habits are in check, exercise is not so good... Hope to get on track with that soon! I also heard B12 and Vitamin d3's are good for menopause. Thanks!

I agree with elcee...menopause does not need to include weight gain, despite the gyrating hormones and possible feelings of depression. What can easily cause weight gain during this phase of life is antidepressant medications and a lack of exercise due to the depressed mood.

Menopause is another phase of life...accept it for what it is...I experienced daily hot flashes which caused my skin to get flushes and my hair to become wet from perspiration within a matter of only a few minutes. HRT did help, though I was only on it for a minimum amount of time.

Try to continue your daily structure of exercise and monitor what you eat. Any mood changes you experience will be tied to the chemical changes in your body. It's going to become even more important for you to get your Calcium daily.Likely your metabolism will also be slowing...so look for ways to keep that as active as possible.

Menopause is life changing, but it doesn't need to be weight changing as well...

Best wishes...

Well, my weight gain is from menopause. I'm sure of it. Again my diet is in check, I have restriction(sweet spot). I drink the green drink Dr OZ, most morning's and piece of fruit. lunch and dinner consist of fish and veggies on a small saucer plate. Snacks consist of low cal cheese, grapes etc. I will admit I cheat a couple of times a month(small cheats). I take care of my parents weekly, watch my grand-kids 1 to 2 days a week, plus work out 2 or 3 times a week on my treadmill... Just saw my doctor this morning, he wants me to add in lite weight training. The only prescription meds I take are the biodentical hormones. No depression meds. Since nov of 2011 I have gained 22 pounds.... Good luck to All. Thanks!