Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me Get "back On The Horse" Please!

Hi,

I was banded in December of 2005. Since then I've had 2 babies. My first pg after the band I didn't unfill, but wasn't quite at my sweet spot (or green spot I think they call it now). With my second pg after banding I had some taken out, but honestly I don't remember what I had them keep in.

My last pg was 3 years ago. My baby is almost 3 and I've yet to refill any of my band. It's partially because our insurance doesn't cover much and it's expensive for a fill, but also, I've gotten lazy and fallen back into being able to eat "almost" anything. I do still have some restriction, but not a lot. I'm also almost back at my pre band weight. (within 10 lbs) It absolutely sickens me and I want to start getting my band filled again and get back on that horse, regardless of how long it takes me to pay for it.

I need help though. I don't even remember what to do. I don't remember how to eat, or anything. I will ask for some information from the surgeons staff when I'm there for a fill, but I know they are going to suggest I see the nutritionist, but I really can't afford that on top of getting the fills etc. Plus I'm sure I can find the info online too.

So what are the main "rules"? I don't think I will have to go all out liquids because I'm sure they'll fill me up slowly and it won't be like right after surgery, but I do want to start Protein Shakes. What are the good brands these days? What types of high Protein foods are your favorites etc. Any help you can give me right now would be awesome!

Thanks!

Welcome back and congratulations on your babies !!

The basic rules for me are

1.no more than a cup of food per meal

2.protein first 3-4 oz. then veggies then carb

3.chew chew chew

4. Don't drink with ur meals.

Goodluck !! :-)

Congrats on the babies!!

Remember the 30-30-30 rule? No drinking 30 mins before 30 mins after and should take u about half hour to eat your meal.NO DRINKING DURING MEALS! This causes your food to pass fast threw the band taking more food to get that full feeling. You should also be eating about a cup of food at a time.

Count calories! And measure your food portions. I use my firnesspal sometimes you arent aware of how much you intake a day when you see it it makes a difference.

Everyone is different aim for 60-90 grams of Protein a day

Start off with 3 meals a day and 2 Snacks

drinks lots and lots of Water during the day but remember the 30-30-30 rule!

Stay away from empty calorie drinks they add up quick.

Exercise half hour a day atleast. My fitness pal tells me i need to burn 3500 calories a week to lose 2 pounds.

Finally dont get discouraged and just keep going full force forward. I gained 35 of the 40 pound i lost after i became pregnant after 2 years of no fills i had my first one in april of this year and i have lost 36 pounds since april. Im at 5.75 in a 10cc band and i have another fill coming up in august. Keep your head up and good luck.

oh my god! i'm in almost the same boat! got the band and lost weight then at my 1 year mark i finally got pregnant :) I was soo happy but because of my morning sickness i had to get completely deflated :( and gained it ALL back.

i worked my butt off to lose the weight as fast as i could and i got down to the same frickin weight (to the pound) about 10 months later and got pregnant again!

with the second pregnancy i again had to empty out my band completely and i have already gained all my weight back and im only 6months along (i look like im overdue!) and today i got approval to get refilled but i dont remember all the things we are supposed to do!

i cant remember the rules or what we all had to do in the beginning? i need to get back on track before i get any bigger!

This might help. Click on the link to the Peachtree band patient manual:

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Band-Patient-Manual.pdf

2muchfun, thanks for this manual. It's filled with everything I need. Lapband date is Aug 6.

I find when I heed the "satiety' vs "full" sensation my ability to respond rationally to Bad Old Overeating Habits improves dramatically.

Cheers on returning to the New Life.

I'm on the way myself.

Stay busy with meaningful little chores, my own Nibbling App seems to activate when I'm just sitting around....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I did forget a lot of these little things, like the 30, 30, 30 rule and how much Protein to eat first. It's amazing how quickly you forget and slip back into all the bad habits.