Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removed 2 weeks ago!

I had my Realize band for 2 years, lost close to 100 lbs and was doing great. A few months ago I started having severe issues with reflux. I had unfill after unfill and remained "tight". It progressed to one weekend I was unable to swallow anything and was vomiting continuously. After a complete UNFILL, several days of IV cortisone and nothing by mouth- the swelling still would not go down and I was forced to have an emergency removal. I NEVER thought I was lose my band. Would like to hear from others- how are you doing since removal? weight? Other surgeries? Or decided not to do surgery?

I have a question: Does your doctor have any idea why this happened to you?

Thanks.

~fran

I don't have any advice or BTDT, just wanted to give you some support!

I had my Realize band for 2 years, lost close to 100 lbs and was doing great. A few months ago I started having severe issues with reflux. I had unfill after unfill and remained "tight". It progressed to one weekend I was unable to swallow anything and was vomiting continuously. After a complete UNFILL, several days of IV cortisone and nothing by mouth- the swelling still would not go down and I was forced to have an emergency removal. I NEVER thought I was lose my band. Would like to hear from others- how are you doing since removal? weight? Other surgeries? Or decided not to do surgery?

I've had my band for almost 2 yrs and only have lost 30 lbs. In March I started having pain that just jumped from once place to another in my abdomen, It was such a different pain than I've ever had in my life. A stabbing, pinching pain. In April I saw the PA that does my fills and he didn't feel it could be due to the band. I had called my surgeons office the week before I went for the fill and the nurse said I would have to see the PA and he would ascess me & order tests if he felt I need them. I hurt so bad the day I saw him i wouldn't let him do a fill. In the meantime I had my yearly gyne exam and that dr said my pain wasn't gyne related so she ordered a CT for me. I went back for my visit with the PA for the band and took the films along. He couldn't see anything and I had asked ahead of that visit to be seen by a doctor. He had one of the doctors that does the band come in and see me. He examined me and as soon as he looked at the CT he saw right away that the tubeing was pulled away from the port and dangling down in my abdomen. Reason for the pain....the tubeing moves and so my pain moves. Four miserable months of pain that had the Dr. seen me sooner I wouldn't of had to go through. I see the surgeon that did the band next Monday and if I have a choice I am thinking of just having it out. I have found out there are quite a few women out there that has had the same poroblem. My band is also a realize band. I have to travel a little over 100 miles to see the surgeon because my insurance required a center of excellence.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I have not responded sooner- I was out of the country for two weeks. I am thankful to say- at one month after surgery I am down 5 lbs! In that time I went on a cruise! I only ate in the dining room (no buffets) and I ordered the low calorie option 90% of the time). I am also on an appetite suppresant and I joined WW (to get weighed weekly). I think this will be an uphill battle, but I do not want to gain back 97 lbs!

Young at heart, did you have your band out?

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I have not responded sooner- I was out of the country for two weeks. I am thankful to say- at one month after surgery I am down 5 lbs! In that time I went on a cruise! I only ate in the dining room (no buffets) and I ordered the low calorie option 90% of the time). I am also on an appetite suppresant and I joined WW (to get weighed weekly). I think this will be an uphill battle, but I do not want to gain back 97 lbs!

Young at heart, did you have your band out?

No I have decided to go ahead with a new port and have a umbilical hernia repaired at the same time. I go Monday for a clearance from my PCP. I already have a clearance from my cardiologist and all of the blood work done. I hope she can do the surgery soon, So glad to hear you are doing so good.

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your wt loss while on a cruise.

I am sorry for all your suffering and must say lapband removal is my biggest fear....I would not lose like you did. you have done well!!!

Please stay on the board and keep this thread active as you heal and progress. Life after band removal is something we all need to know about, just in case!!!

Best wishes,

Mimi

I too am now faced with losing my band after 7 yrs! It has slipped and the only reason I don't get it replaced is insurance. Insurance covered to put it in and they will pay to remove it, but they are now not covering weightloss surgery so they won't replace it. If something was to happen down the road I would be stuck with the bill. I am terrified of regaining my 140 lbs I have lost. You are not alone here.

the EXACT same thing happened to me... I got my band dec of 2010 and I lost about 90 lbs, and i had mine removed 3 weeks ago..

but for a little over three months before that in august, I was dealing with severe GERD...after multiple visits to the ER (btw i wasnt insured, so I had to wait until I was with this govt insurance to see a doc, so i had no idea what it was at first) the ER dr. gave me antireflux pills that i took (prilosec) and it helped the pain go away (burning pain in my stomach and under my ribs) and I also got all the Fluid in my band taken out so that I was a little less swollen.. but I still could not keep much down.. I stopped eating anything other than saltine crackers and almond milk because absolutely everything else made me extremely ill and would burn my pouch. I couldnt drink any Water either, it really hurt and i ended up vomiting so apple juice and almond milk were the only soothing things I could do.

The govt insurance I got referred me to get a barium test, which i did and it showed a blockage in my band (my stomach was very swollen) but since I had got my lapband surgery done in Mexico and i had the govt insurance, none of the surgeons in my area were willing to work on me... so...

All the vomiting and swelling resulted in me going 8 days without being to keep a drop of liquid or food down. I became extremely dehydrated and my skin started to peal off.. I went to the ER at another hospital that is known for being really good and they did a barium test and saw that I had a blockage adn decided to do emergency surgery that night on me.

Needless to say.. Im SO thankful that its out... those three months with my band were the most depressing of my life.. I was constantly thirsty, tired, and had no desire to see or talk to anyone. I couldnt sleep because acid would trickle into my throat and i would choke and vomit throughout the night. I had to sleep sitting up and even that wouldnt stop it. It was a horrid time in my life, and these past three weeks since its been gone have been amazingly joyful..

The first week out, I ate whatever wanted since I was just happy to be able to eat again.. but eating and rehydrating myself made me gain 30 lbs (in 6 days!!!). so since then I have been low-carbing and have lost 20 of those lbs that I gained. and I feel great.. im just so happy to eat that I dont care that its salad! and once my wounds heal, I can work out again! I hope u share my joy in all of this :) goodluck! and keep us updated!

Im going thru almost the same. I'm stressed and confused. After having my band on for 2 yrs and lost 64lbs. my band slipped. After my last adjustment I started vomiting and because of this the band slipped giving me very bad acid reflux. Went to the dr. for another adj. told him my syntoms and he said it slipped. Got all the Fluid out of the band, that was back in July. I have gained 10 lbs. and scared of gainning any more. I want to get it replaced. Went for a consult about this and the new dr. that took over my dr. said they have to remove it and 3 mnths later go back and replace it with a new one. This just scared me. The reason he gave me is that the spot where the band slipped is swollen, so it needs to be taken out so the swelling can go down.

Has anybody gone thru this or heard something like this ?

Should i get a second opinion from another dr.?